A merciful suggestion.

Started by IntuitiveApathy, January 31, 2008, 12:46:19 AM

It'd be nice if mercy would stop a second weapon attack from going off on an unconscious person.

So, if you knock someone out with your first weapon, you don't do crazy stupid damage to them with your second.
Was there no safety? No learning by heart of the ways of the world? No guide, no shelter, but all was miracle and leaping from the pinnacle of a tower into the air?

Virginia Woolf, To the Lighthouse

I believe 'mercy on' already does that.

Quote from: Help FilesMercy     (Combat)

A player can set their character to be merciful by use of this command. When a player has mercy turned on, they will try and hold back blows that might kill their opponent and will refrain from attacking unconscious opponents altogether. The more skilled a character is with a weapon the better able they are to judge what would be a killing blow, while those inexperienced with the same weapon might accidentally kill without meaning to.

Agreed. Sort of related to this this point I raised earlier. It seems like with the reeling code there's a higher chance of accidentally PKing people during sparring and such. It's better to have the code err on the side of leaving people, especially PCs, alive but incapacitated.

It doesn't, Rhyden.

As far as I can tell, all mercy does is make sure that, if your damage roll is enough to drop your target beyond -10, the attack doesn't go through.

You can still mortally wound someone with your second weapon attack if they are dropped unconscious with the first, which is probably why the OP suggested that it not do so.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I stand corrected. It should be changed!  :)

This is also a problem for boxing: one fist knocks out, the other pounds for crazystupid damage.
Was there no safety? No learning by heart of the ways of the world? No guide, no shelter, but all was miracle and leaping from the pinnacle of a tower into the air?

Virginia Woolf, To the Lighthouse

I think it depends. How quickly do characters react to knocking someone out? If someone is out on their feet, I think you'd probably follow through with the other weapon and drop them.
Quote from: Saikun
I can tell you for sure it won't be tonight. So no point in poking at it all night long. I'd suggest sleep, or failing that, take to the streets and wreak havoc.

I have seen a ton of people get knocked out in real life. In almost every case, the person kept swinging at them unless someone broke it up, or the other person finally realized that they had done too much damage.

I like the danger aspect to this mud. That said I don't know if mercy should do this or not. I'm kinda on the fence.

Use a shield instead of a second weapon if you truly want to be merciful.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

They taught us in the army, you keep swingin till they stop movin!

J-Rod

Quote from: Gimfalisette on February 01, 2008, 12:29:35 PM
Use a shield instead of a second weapon if you truly want to be merciful.

Shield hold the advantage in fights anyways. Which angers me to some extent.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on February 01, 2008, 01:27:26 PM
Shield hold the advantage in fights anyways. Which angers me to some extent.

This makes me giggle.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

February 01, 2008, 02:55:48 PM #13 Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 02:58:42 PM by Salt Merchant
Quote from: RogueGunslinger on February 01, 2008, 12:21:23 PM
I have seen a ton of people get knocked out in real life. In almost every case, the person kept swinging at them unless someone broke it up, or the other person finally realized that they had done too much damage.

In real fights with heated emotions. Not in sparring matches, right?

I agree with IntuitiveApathy. It's a no brainer that showing mercy should stop that second weapon's attack.
Lunch makes me happy.

The mercy flag for me is saying: My character is being intentional and paying close attention to the physical state of the opponent/sparring partner and not just swinging wildly and blindly to finish a fight. I would agree that some tweaks might need to be made.

Quote from: Salt Merchant on February 01, 2008, 02:55:48 PM
Quote from: RogueGunslinger on February 01, 2008, 12:21:23 PM

In real fights with heated emotions. Not in sparring matches, right?

I agree with IntuitiveApathy. It's a no brainer that showing mercy should stop that second weapon's attack.

Actually in between. In professional fights. But I also agree. Mercy should stop a second attack.