Arrows shot at you, Your wielding a shield.

Started by Rogerthat, January 29, 2008, 01:43:42 AM

??? What do you think.. OF arrows being shot and being stuck into YOUR shield instead of knocking it away... You know? Could crack you shield right down the middle if shot at and blocked with the shield.. You could pull them out, Or have a armor-repair man force them out.. What about this idea? Good?
Someone punches a dead mantis in it's dead face.

... There is something to be said about you.

Don't you think you could have discussed this in the other topic you started?

Yeh ... that said, I love the idea.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I actually thought that the ease with which arrows hit my shield-wielding PC was because I was missing something, code-wise, and OOCed an unfortunate clan-member to ask what I was doing wrong!

Seems to me that shields would be more effective against arrows than just about anything else--instead of, as seems to be the case to my extremely inexperienced self, the reverse. I'm sure many here know more about the history of warfare than I, but weren't shields pretty damn effective against archers?

Not really. Depends on the shield/archer/bow.

But it was my understanding that shields were plenty effective in game.

I'm really in favour of having any code that damages armour put in/jacked up.

As it stands, armour can stand up to crazy stupid sorts of attacks and take no/minimal damage the majority of the time.

There are all sorts of benefits for having more fragile armour: making the subclasses that get armour repair useful, creating demand for armour repairing materials/tools, people being able to buy/sell busted armour for cheaper, grittier atmosphere, etc.

So yeah, I'm for arrows sticking in your shield.  Or in your helm, boot, codpiece.  Or cracking that fancy breastplate down the middle.
Was there no safety? No learning by heart of the ways of the world? No guide, no shelter, but all was miracle and leaping from the pinnacle of a tower into the air?

Virginia Woolf, To the Lighthouse

They are plenty effective.

That said, once you reach a good level of shield work, you will begin to see just how effective they are.

Don't think that just because you block all of Bob's blows that you will block all of Sandy Scrab's blows, or all of Gerry Gith's arrows. The scale rises, and it is highly unlikely that you are worth a shit with the shield just yet.

Quote from: IntuitiveApathy on January 29, 2008, 03:32:12 AM

As it stands, armour can stand up to crazy stupid sorts of attacks and take no/minimal damage the majority of the time.

There are all sorts of benefits for having more fragile armour: making the subclasses that get armour repair useful, creating demand for armour repairing materials/tools, people being able to buy/sell busted armour for cheaper, grittier atmosphere, etc.

So yeah, I'm for arrows sticking in your shield.  Or in your helm, boot, codpiece.  Or cracking that fancy breastplate down the middle.

Absolutely agreed.

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on January 29, 2008, 03:32:29 AMDon't think that just because you block all of Bob's blows that you will block all of Sandy Scrab's blows, or all of Gerry Gith's arrows. The scale rises, and it is highly unlikely that you are worth a shit with the shield just yet.

Ah. Thanks. That's definitely the problem, then! I guess I assumed that using a shield against arrows would be the easiest option. You know the direction of attack, at least, and an arrow (unlike someone wielding a weapon) doesn't try to evade your shield in mid-flight ... But what I know about shields and arrows is ... nothing. And I know even less about shield code in the game. But I do know that my PC is almost certainly not worth a shit, so that answers -that- question.

Using a shield against an arrow is ... even in real life, going to be hard. First of all, you won't even see the arrow coming. It is just suddenly there, unless it gets shot from a great distance.

Secondly, shieldwork does not take into account the watch code, yet. Morg?

Thirdly, and this is probably the most important thing ... because the arrow can be shot at you from any of four ... no, six directions ... who is to say that your back isn't just turned?

I would love to see the watch-code taken into account in this matter.

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on January 29, 2008, 03:49:35 AM
Using a shield against an arrow is ... even in real life, going to be hard. First of all, you won't even see the arrow coming. It is just suddenly there, unless it gets shot from a great distance.

I was thinking that the -first- arrow could really be nasty, but the fifth arrow might have trouble getting past your shield ... except I didn't see a way to take that into account. Neat idea with 'watch.'

Keep in mind that most people in the game use shields that aren't much bigger than a car tire.  Start using a shield that's half your height, and you might see a difference in ability to block arrows.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Such as that one dwarf a while ago that carried a tower shield larger than my human self. How that worked, I don't know, but they would emote sticking it in the ground and it took a shit load of arrows.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Rarsh, isn't this something you could undoubtedly ask the more veteran fighters in your clan?

Everyone, can we keep discussions like this to actual code suggestions stuff and stop veering into "find out IC" territory? We are really doing a lot of this lately, and it bums me out to see newbies like Rarsh being told stuff on the forums, rather than doing the work of finding out in game.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Quote from: IntuitiveApathy on January 29, 2008, 03:32:12 AM

I'd like this idea a lot more if a lot of the armour repair recipes weren't a little restrictive.

You have a used shield made from a gurth shell. In order to repair that shield, you need... a whole gurth shell? I'd love to see more patches and resins and sloppier attempts to fix things rather than "you replace the entire front of your shield and it's basically a whole new shield with no damage whatsoever."
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Gim, are you serious?

Come on. The IC info worries are getting a little out of hand. Telling a newbie, or anyone, for that matter, that as your skill gets better, you can do different things, or that the size of your shield may matter, really isn't IC info. The same applies for any skill. As it gets better, you can do more.

That just does not qualify as IC info, really.

That said, Rarsh, yes, you could prolly get an answer from veterans IC. And sometimes, it is more fun to ask IC than on the GDB.

And Fathi, I think that just the addition of a 'patched' flag for armor would reflect that concept, which is, I think, an excellent idea.

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on January 29, 2008, 12:50:33 PM
Gim, are you serious?

Come on. The IC info worries are getting a little out of hand. Telling a newbie, or anyone, for that matter, that as your skill gets better, you can do different things, or that the size of your shield may matter, really isn't IC info. The same applies for any skill. As it gets better, you can do more.

That just does not qualify as IC info, really.

That said, Rarsh, yes, you could prolly get an answer from veterans IC. And sometimes, it is more fun to ask IC than on the GDB.

Yes, I am totally and completely serious.

I found out what a shield can do against arrows by seeing it done IN GAME. And I was wowed.

Since then, I have seen other characters/players be wowed as well. IN GAME.

I do not think that finding out on the forums will provide anyone that kind of "wow" moment.

That is why I am bummed out. And I mean, I am seriously bummed out about this. Rarsh could have found out IN GAME. But now that possibility for a newbie "wow" moment of finding out something IC is gone forever.

Telling a newbie where to find water being sold, and where to get a waterskin, and what the code syntax is for filling that waterskin, is one thing. This helps abate newbie frustration and get them into the game.

Taking away a newbie's "wow" moments by providing advanced game information OOCly is just really depressing.

Hrm.

I suppose that you may have a point.

I just ... eh. I still think he is going to have a wow moment when he or she first manages to have that first awesome moment, whether they know it is coming or not.

That said, I shall think more before I answer questions from now on. Even if it is not something I think is really part of that OOC/IC info, I'll consider my response, because I guess that the wow moment will be enhanced.

Venomz, you rock.

I'm not saying that you are always going to be happy with my answers. I am just saying that I will think about it before I post. I know perfectly well that I have not infringed on the Staff's notions of OOC/IC infor yet. But on the other hand, I could say even less while still at least answering the question.

So, I will think about it before I post. :)

I knew what you meant. The fact that you are committing to thinking about things and carefully weighing options before you post, is why you rock.

Quote from: Gimfalisette on January 29, 2008, 12:13:25 PM
Rarsh, isn't this something you could undoubtedly ask the more veteran fighters in your clan?

Not really, no. My areas of interest and my PC's areas of interest diverge pretty significantly. And I -do- try to only ask questions about the former (or things that my PC would already know--cultural stuff) on the GDB.

But I take your point, and I'd hate to think that my questions are undermining the 'wow' moments of people who enjoy that sorta thing. Hardly fair to ruin someone else's fun because my PC isn't interested in asking. So thanks for the reminder. I'll try to be more careful, and apologies to anyone who ran across this and learned something they wished they hadn't ...

What if I, the player, am interested in learning more about the Nilazi guild? Should I ask on the forums? Should I try to find out IC?

Sometimes you just have to curb your interest for the sake of the game, other players, and yourself too.

Or, alternately, you can change your PC's interests and personality so that what you want to find out, your character is motivated to find out. People do change. Characters can too.

Quote from: Gimfalisette on January 29, 2008, 02:13:44 PM
Or, alternately, you can change your PC's interests and personality so that what you want to find out, your character is motivated to find out. People do change. Characters can too.
Unless they are a dwarf

J-Rod