Hoods and now masks

Started by Salt Merchant, January 26, 2008, 09:28:16 PM

If you're not in a position of power don't worry about what other people do.  ;)
Quote from: Saikun
I can tell you for sure it won't be tonight. So no point in poking at it all night long. I'd suggest sleep, or failing that, take to the streets and wreak havoc.

Quote from: Rindan on January 27, 2008, 05:45:36 AM

No one is complaining about people wearing a hood inside of a city.  People are complaining about people running around with masks inside the city.  Yes, The Templerate probably should be scratching their head and stopping people who are blatantly trying to conceal their face for the sake of concealing it.  Zalanthas doesn't need "due process".  If you look suspicious, they can strip you naked, steal your stuff, and throw you in the arena if that is what gets them off.

Like I said, this is an IC problem.  I really don't think anyone is in much of a position to judge if the "right" thing is being done unless they are one of said mask wearers or a Templar who should be seeing to it that people who are running around looking blatantly like raiders and defilers either make special arraignments or bent over for a Allanaki style strip search.

That kind of makes sense.  Would it be possible to split off masks and hoods into separate issues?  They seem like separate issues to me. 

So glad you guys have found something else to bitch about.

Quote from: manonfire on January 27, 2008, 11:59:01 AM

Thank you for this illuminating contribution to the topic of discussion. Really. Every word added new insight.
Lunch makes me happy.

Quote from: Rindan on January 27, 2008, 05:45:36 AM
Yes, The Templerate probably should be scratching their head and stopping people who are blatantly trying to conceal their face for the sake of concealing it.  Zalanthas doesn't need "due process".  If you look suspicious, they can strip you naked, steal your stuff, and throw you in the arena if that is what gets them off.

I think this hits on part of the problem. Where are all the aggressive templar patrols we used to see?
Lunch makes me happy.

Quote from: Salt Merchant on January 27, 2008, 12:06:38 PM

Thank you for this illuminating contribution to the topic of discussion. Really. Every word added new insight.

His is actually my favorite post.

No offense, but this isn't exactly something, "yell at people on the forums" worthy.

Quote from: Yam on January 27, 2008, 12:08:58 PM
Quote from: Salt Merchant on January 27, 2008, 12:06:38 PM

His is actually my favorite post.

No offense, but this isn't exactly something, "yell at people on the forums" worthy.

I really do wish people would confine themselves to the topic of discussion. If the topic isn't of interest, then just don't post, rather than trying to "piss on the parade".
Lunch makes me happy.

I am contributing to the thread.

I respectfully disagree with your sentiments. It's a valid contribution.

I do understand and think Manonfire made a contribution as well.

Complaining about masks, come on, its not like they hide mdesc anymore. So code wise they are no different then a hood or facewrap.

As to IC considerations...um...They are no different then a hood or a facewrap.
Cept that some people can at least get different ones so  it helps to break up the normal crowd of 18 hooded figures. Also, you should remember, Most the time a masked PC stands out, they Know they stand out and are willing to stand out. They very likley even have a reason to stand out or not care if they do. Some even use it as a public persona. Mine does.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

You know what though? A lot of people I know say it is easier to kill people if you can't see their face and their human characteristics. So.. You go figures! They are just waiting to get killed off.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

January 27, 2008, 02:09:23 PM #35 Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 02:33:26 PM by Ghost
Does not apply to Zalanthas.  IRL most people get over protective for babies they don't even know as well.  In arm?  Players used to ate their babies when there was baby objects.
some of my posts are serious stuff

So.. People withs masks, hoods up, and the like are probably more akin to training dummies than players.
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

I definitely think it's an OOC problem because..

If everybody is wearing a hood in a tavern, and there's no significant keyword difference, I cannot interact with you.

I'm unable to target you with any keyword, thus preventing me from 'telling', 'stealing', 'killing', or any other coded response.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Does anyone have that big of an issue using the 'keyword' command?  Really?

It's certainly not impossible to interact with people all using the exact same sdesc.  Difficult, perhaps, but I still think it is as much an IC issue as an OOC one.
Quote from: Wish

Don't think you're having all the fun...
You know me, I hate everyone!

Wish there was something real!
Wish there was something true!
Wish there was something real,
in this world full of YOU!

Quote from: Akaramu on January 27, 2008, 04:55:38 AM
Quote from: Rhyden on January 27, 2008, 02:14:55 AM
I understand it is annoying to have 15 figures, 10 of which wearing masks, but that's just tough. If it's a huge problem, maybe ask the people with masks to take them off? Maybe kill them? Hire an assassin? Pay a Templar? Find a thief?

I don't think it's really an OOC problem, though. It is an IC problem because it can be dealt with through IC means.

I disagree there. If a PC wanted to kill someome wearing a mask becase the player is OOC annoyed, it's an OOC problem. Now if the mask-wearer was giving them IC reason to deal with them - in addition to just wearing a mask -, such as trying to steal from them, or lurking suspiciously around every corner in every place they go, sure.

Seriously, a Zalanthan person killing hiring an assassin on every person they see wearing a mask would be a psychopath in line with Jason and Freddy Kruger, imho. Maskophobia?  :P

We're not really disagreeing, Akaramu.I'm not saying killing someone because their mask annoys you is really a good solution. I'm saying it's an IC problem and can be solved through IC means. It can be OOCly irritating, but so can several other aspects of MUD gaming.

Quote from: psionic fungus on January 27, 2008, 04:58:18 PM
Does anyone have that big of an issue using the 'keyword' command?  Really?

It's certainly not impossible to interact with people all using the exact same sdesc.  Difficult, perhaps, but I still think it is as much an IC issue as an OOC one.

A lot of times the keywords aren't that easy to guess when someone has their hood up. If you don't know their names, you can easily see this:

A green eyed man, his eyes are very wide with thick lashes. He has a bulbous nose and puffy red cheeks. The man is tall for his race, with long blue-dyed hair that reaches his broad shoulders. He has long muscular legs supported by a wide torso with six-pack abs.

emote waves to ~green.
You wave to a green wooden box.
emote waves to ~wide.
You wave to a wide-eyed female street urchin.
emote waves to ~bulbous.
You wave to a squat bulbous gourd.
emote waves to ~man.
You wave to the bartender.
emote waves to ~muscular.
You wave to the thick, muscular half-giant.

and it turns out the guy's sdesc is "the thin big-footed human."

It is pretty common to find situations where you meet up with people whose sdescs don't really match their main descs very well, and when they all have their hoods up, it can get pretty stupid and pointless trying to interact with them.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Feel free to annoy a templar over this issue.

Lizzie, that is why there is a keyword command.

keyword green
keyword dusty
In the room:
  1.dusty - the male wearing a dusty desert-camouflaged sandcloth facewrap

In Equipment:
  2.dusty - a dusty desert-camouflaged, sandcloth-covered collar

So, 1.dusty will give the PC, 2.dusty would be your equipment.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

January 27, 2008, 05:57:45 PM #43 Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 06:02:23 PM by Salt Merchant
Quote from: Lizzie on January 27, 2008, 05:24:16 PM
emote waves to ~green.
You wave to a green wooden box.
emote waves to ~wide.
You wave to a wide-eyed female street urchin.
emote waves to ~bulbous.
You wave to a squat bulbous gourd.
emote waves to ~man.
You wave to the bartender.
emote waves to ~muscular.
You wave to the thick, muscular half-giant.

:D Good example.

Here's another one.

> l
A dank, smelly bar.

The figure in a brown hooded sandcloth cloak sits here at the bar.
The tall figure in a brown hooded sandcloth cloak sits here at the bar.
The tall figure in a dusty grey hooded windcloak stands here.
The figure in a brown hooded sandcloth cloak sits here at the bar.
The tall, thin figure in a grey hooded windcloak sits here at the bar.

> key figure
> em approaches ~3.figure, her hand resting lightly on the hilt of her sword.
The tall figure in a dusty grey hooded windcloak leaves north.
The next-in-an-endless-string-of-teenaged-females approaches the figure in a brown hooded sandcloth cloak, her hand resting lightly on the hilt of her sword.
>
The figure in a brown hooded sandcloth cloak says, in sirihish:
"What the feck do you want?"

or

> em approaches ~3.figure, her hand
The tall figure in a dusty red hooded greatcloak arrives.
(player thinks "shit" and starts backspacing)
> em approaches ~4.figure, her hand rest
The tall figure in a brown hooded sandcloth cloak leaves north.
The tall figure in a brown hooded sandcloth cloak stands up from the bar.
(players backspaces frantically and types "key figure") again.
> em appro
The figure in a dark, hooded cloak arrives from the north.
Lunch makes me happy.

Quote from: X-D on January 27, 2008, 05:45:43 PM
Lizzie, that is why there is a keyword command.

keyword green
keyword dusty
In the room:
  1.dusty - the male wearing a dusty desert-camouflaged sandcloth facewrap

In Equipment:
  2.dusty - a dusty desert-camouflaged, sandcloth-covered collar

So, 1.dusty will give the PC, 2.dusty would be your equipment.

Yes and as Salt Merchant has so graciously pointed out, by the time you find out the "dark figure in the hooded cloak" that you are actually trying to target, a different "dark figure in the hooded cloak" has just walked in, bumping YOUR dark figure in the hooded cloak down on the keyword list. But it's too late, because you already hit the enter key on your emote, and you have just tried to kiss your Senior Big-Deal Lieutenant Second-Only-To-the-High Templar boss, who just happens to always wear his hood up because his player is yet another dumb shit who insists on not paying attention to whether or not he's hooded inside a public place.

Heh, true, and funny, just means you need be a slight bit more creative is all.
Lizzie:

Or, you stop trying to be creative, because you are always trying to be creative in an attempt to interact with half a dozen hooded figures. And instead, you give up trying, because you're tired of your emote finally showing up after the moment has already passed, and the guy you wanted to wave to left 5 minutes ago and you're STILL trying to keyword him.

January 27, 2008, 06:22:57 PM #47 Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 06:24:36 PM by Maybe42or54
I don't know why anybody likes to talk to figures. Do you really know that is your buddy? He might have gotten killed and all his stuff is being worn by the guy sent to kill you.
I know I avoid figures. They're too shady for me. They are probably magickers also. Trying to not let us see what they're magicking up. Probably going to eat my heart. Yeah.
They are probably scared to look into my eyes, also. Only magickers keep their hood up all the time.

One step toward a solution :  Make a document for basic etiquette with one of the items being, "Putting away your weapons and showing your face is a widely accepted manner of showing good intentions."  That way, you make it clear that people who don't do these things are going to be seen as hostile.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Sounds like those who may be causing people to wear masks IC need to be cautious of the OOC misdirection havoc this can cause.

But normally there is IC pressure against this sort of thing, for good reason.

The hooded figure enters your location.
> shout HELP! GARDS! BANZAI!
> subdue hooded
> l hooded
> tell hooded (clearing ^me throat) Oh. Yeh. Sorry, Lady Borsail.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.