Am I wrong to expect...

Started by Cerelum, January 24, 2008, 10:18:18 PM

... that if my character has tried to ride a mount through a whole fricking city, about 7 or 8 times, that he should stop getting the:

You're retarded mount doesn't move

message?

I mean, I have the skill, but I still can't follow someone because of that message and it doesn't seem to have gotten any better then say the last 20 hours I've been doing it..

This is another reason why 90 percent of my characters are rangers...

J-Rod

Yes, you are wrong to expect that.  Training ride sucks I know.  But it gets better.

Brandon
Quote from: Ghost on December 16, 2009, 06:15:17 PM
brandon....

you did the biggest mistake of your life

I'm serious though, I've practiced ride for nearly a real life day.  However many days or weeks that is in game.

I hate ride...

J-Rod

January 24, 2008, 10:40:41 PM #4 Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 10:42:38 PM by RogueGunslinger
Your wisdom stat must be; Extremely Fucking Poor, then. Cause it only took me about two days to get ride decent. And that was playing maybe eight hours in game. And not all of it spend on riding around. I think Ride is one of the easiest skill to learn...

Ohhh, that makes a little bit of sense, cause my character isn't the wisest.

FUCK!

I think I would die if I ever rolled up a character WITHOUT a poor or worse stat.

J-Rod is irritated.

While we are on the subject, I got a sweet stat roll on my last char, then I re-rolled and it got better. How pimp is that...

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on January 24, 2008, 10:44:00 PM
While we are on the subject, I got a sweet stat roll on my last char, then I re-rolled and it got better. How pimp is that...

I hate you...

J-Rod

I've been saying for a while now that we should just get rid of the low starting riding skill for new characters, it's just a pain in the ass more than anything else, keeps them from jumping right into the fun most of the time, and anyway, most players just ride around in a circle for ten hours straight until they get decent enough to start following the group.

"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Spamming ride won't get it better faster.

Practice a little every morning/afternoon/evening and spend the rest of the day doing whatever your character normally does.

What the shadow above me said.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

I blame the fact that my wisdom = "a slope headed retard"

"Some people call it a Kaiser Blade, I call it a Slingblade, but I can't get this fucking creature to go where I want him to."

J-Rod

January 25, 2008, 01:13:59 AM #12 Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 01:16:30 AM by rishenko
Quote from: Cerelum on January 25, 2008, 01:03:53 AM
I blame the fact that my wisdom = "a slope headed retard"

"Some people call it a Kaiser Blade, I call it a Slingblade, but I can't get this fucking creature to go where I want him to."

J-Rod

Patience.  If you go for a long lived char, all things will become easier for them with time.

I want to throw down my approval for a strange shadow's suggestion.  8)

The learning code is at least somewhat realistic.  You can only learn so much so often.  There is no point in frustrating yourself trying to ride a mount around (or do any other training) for hour after hour.  The 90 (RL) minute day is a perfect marker for when you can once again successfully train a skill.  There is literally no point in pushing things unrealistically. Make a schedule and incorporate ride practice into it. Take a ride around the block and then do whatever else you have planned for the day, as was suggested.  It works.

If you like numbers think about it this way: if you start with a skill of 5% and gain only 1% every 90 minutes, after a day of play-time you will have 21% in the skill.  From my understanding, this is roughly 33 - 50% of what is possible for a non-ranger to obtain. That said, these numbers are working with minimums... You should be a flawless rider by 2 - 3 days playing time, slope-headed retard or not.  Just get into a good routine and stick to it.

Compelling?
Quote from: Wish

Don't think you're having all the fun...
You know me, I hate everyone!

Wish there was something real!
Wish there was something true!
Wish there was something real,
in this world full of YOU!

While all the skillspamming is indeed disheartening, I do concur that having new players start up with poor riding skills is pretty annoying. It simply prevents gameplay for a character untill he gets enough riding done.

Ironically enough, I had a character who did not use that many skills in his lifetime end up with a desperate need to ditch the city FAST. Only to remember "Oh yeah, I cant ride for shit".

Well - first of all, I know it's rough, but roleplay through it instead of spamming ride every now and then. Try to find a mentor - It won't take you to long, but like all skills, it takes patience.

And it will vary depending on your wisdom.

The question seems to be, 'How much potential RP and enjoyment do we gain from the skill starting so low, and how much do we lose?'

If, say, the ride skill was doubled for new characters, how much fun would be drained out of the world? How much RP would we miss? Or how much -more- fun would we have, and how much -more- RP would we find?

And as for practicing regularly, for briefer amounts of time ... maybe I'm doing something wrong, but that's just ungodly expensive. At least for newer characters, I'd think. Who are, um, the ones who need the practice.

Quote from: Folker on January 25, 2008, 05:40:22 AM
Ironically enough, I had a character who did not use that many skills in his lifetime end up with a desperate need to ditch the city FAST. Only to remember

Arguably, that's a feature that we should keep. ;-) Though I, too, find newbie-ride a bit frustrating.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Rarsh is saying what I meant by my previous post. I didn't need to know how to properly train 'ride', I already know how to do so, thank you very much. My point was, what does it bring to the game that you are an awful rider for just a few days and that it's a pain in the ass for you AND your clanmates if you go along with them right at the start of your characters?

Is it really useful to the game that you are told to ride your kank in circle for a few hours while everyone else is going out on a patrol, or to hunt, and that you are left behind often at first? What is the advantage over someone that can ride perfectly well and someone who just stalls every few rooms or so? It doesn't last nearly long enough for you to tell me that it is useful to raiders and such.

And the ten hours a day thing was sarcastic, but again, I agree with Rarsh, if you aren't in a clan and need to train up your riding skill as an independant, with a new character, if you are the type of player who must log in and out often during the day, that 20 'sids a pop fee is a huge drain on your starting coins.

If your clanmates want you to be able to ride, they will teach you.

The lack of use of the teaching code is ... somewhat annoying. I use teach fairly often, particularly with new characters, because I feel that teaching is the act of imparting a tactic of the skill, rather than some obscure learning. This is enforced by the fact that you can not teach someone up to your level.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on January 25, 2008, 02:14:16 PM
If your clanmates want you to be able to ride, they will teach you.

We can argue all afternoon long, I'm game. I don't know of many clanmates who would want you to NOT be able to ride. It doesn't matter, a ranger who can ride perfectly well that teaches a new character to ride, that character is still going to be stalling his mount like crazy. What the ranger did, though, is save the poor new character maybe a tiny amount of time before he can ride well enough, himself. You know that.

My previous character was a ranger class in a military clan and I had maybe 30+ days played on him, I trained many recruits how to ride via the 'teach' command, they were still stuck going in a circle for days around a tiny area while we would all go outside on patrol.

Ride IG is backwards.

IRL a total newbie can learn to ride in less then an hour.

Couple hours if they are learning to set up the  saddle/bit/sturrips etc properly.

It takes huge amounts of practice to become expert and do all the nifty tricks you see in westerns and such.

IG its the other way around, it takes forever to get to being able to ride and is easy to become a master.

Personally I think that  being able to learn to ride without getting the refuse to move message should be moved WAY down the scale. This would mean it would be harder to become a master and be much more realistic and fun for players.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

>tell sergeant Please for the love of Tek give me a riding lesson man

Your sergeant instructs you in the skill of 'ride.'

SOLUTION.

I had a long lived Ranger who was branched, tough and could survive most critters...

I started using Teach to teach people archery, parry and the like and got yelled at by a staff member for it.

I hope that it has been loosened in the year or so since then, but they used to want you to emote a book sized amount before you could type teach whatever dude

J-Rod

Not long ago I had a ranger with completly maxed ride skill.
He was rather old.
Get a newbie warrior in the clan, RP out a nice 15 min ride lesson, teach.
next day IG, rinse repeat
newbie warrior practices on own between each teach
Another day IG, rinse, repeat
Newbie warrior still cannot ride without fail
Also I'me pretty sure they got at least 4 other teaches from 2 other very advanced PCs

SO
>tell sergeant Please for the love of Tek give me a riding lesson man

Your sergeant instructs you in the skill of 'ride.'

No SOLUTION
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job