Poll: Tavern Usage

Started by Vanth, January 14, 2008, 07:30:41 PM

What's your level of tavern usage?

I never enter taverns.
0 (0%)
I only go in taverns if I have specific business there.
4 (4.1%)
I walk past taverns, but only enter if there is someone already there.
4 (4.1%)
I stop in taverns, but usually leave quickly if no one else is there.
10 (10.3%)
I'll idle in a tavern for a bit if no one else is around, or stay if there is.
45 (46.4%)
I'll spend a lot of time in taverns, but only if others are there.
10 (10.3%)
I'll spend a lot of time in taverns whether or not anyone else is there.
21 (21.6%)
If Zalanthas had mail, the tavern would be my address.  I live there.
3 (3.1%)

Total Members Voted: 97

This poll is about how much time you spend in taverns, on average.  It's not about how much money you spend in taverns, or what kinds of taverns you prefer.
Nyr: newbs killing newbs
Nyr: hot newb on newb violence
Ath: Mmmmmm, HOT!

I use taverns as I have always used them.  As a place to meet up with people.  Or to hang out when there is nothing pressing that my character has to do at the moment (Training, Guarding, Wall Duty) whatever.

I normally will do what I call "The Circuit" in either Allanak or Tuluk.  I'll go past each tavern and look north or whatever direction.  If I don't see anyone or anyone I want to talk to, I just go to the next.  If I can't find anyone.  I then go to the main tavern, like the gaj and sanctuary and sit for normally about 5 minutes, idling and emoting with the VNPCS for a bit.  If nobody shows then.  I just give up on the taverns for a while and either log or go find something else to do.

So for me the taverns are really only of use when there are people there.

It's a good plot line starter for me.  "Hey wanna join me and my buddy and go out hunting..."  "Psst, come outside into this dark alley, I found a silver sword I want to show you...in your chest" etc etc.

J-Rod

It depends. To be honest I'll go where its IC and I think I'll find PCs. In Tuluk it use to be that the fire-pit was a great hang-out for PCs so I'd sometimes go there and just sit on the logs. When I play a gemmed magicker I'll do my darndest not to enter taverns that normals visit, but it can become tiring.

However having said that on average I'll go into a tavern when I've got nothing else to do or there are PCs there.

I'm sorry to admit it, I mostly use taverns as a way of keeping informed.  Sometimes, I'll have a character enjoy a good drink after a hard day, but if there's no one there, I generally have very little incentive to stick around
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Straight-up tavern-sitting--trying to create a scene without any strongly-defined goal or role--is the hardest sort of play for me.  In extreme cases, I end up crafting outlandish kank-fly emotes. And nobody really wants that.

I rarely idle in taverns these days, or go in if I don't see at least one familiar character.

This should in no way be construed to contradict my desire to play a PC bouncer.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on January 14, 2008, 09:20:50 PM
Straight-up tavern-sitting--trying to create a scene without any strongly-defined goal or role--is the hardest sort of play for me.  In extreme cases, I end up crafting outlandish kank-fly emotes. And nobody really wants that.

I rarely idle in taverns these days, or go in if I don't see at least one familiar character.

I have decided that I don't want to play the role anymore, and defer the PC bouncer role to Cerelum.

I'd say that 80% of my play is making dick jokes in taverns.
Quote from: H. L.  MenckenEvery normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Quote from: Mood on January 14, 2008, 11:57:40 PM
I'd say that 80% of my play is making dick jokes in taverns.

As well it should be. :sage nod:
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

Quote from: Cerelum on January 14, 2008, 09:54:04 PM

You can have my PC bouncer role when you pry it from my PC bouncer's cold, dead hands.

If I'm looking for interaction, I'll hang out in one.  How much time I spend in depends a lot on the character and how much pc activity tends to go on there.  It's a good place to meet people with a new character especially.
So if you're tired of the same old story
Oh, turn some pages. - "Roll with the Changes," REO Speedwagon

I spend a ton of time in taverns. Honestly, a lot more than I should. I like my gossip, though. Especially if unclanned, that's where I spend a lot of time keeping up-to-date with the latest rumors. I'll often idle in there for a bit if no one's around. I figure if it's almost empty, then leaving is only going to make it empty once more, and there will never be anyone who stays. Deadly chain of events. :P

I spend my time in taverns to start fights... Really I do.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on January 16, 2008, 03:15:59 AM
I spend my time in taverns to start fights... Really I do.

Wooooooooooooooo!
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

My char likes booze.. and fights, so not too much time, but when he's in the neighborhood.. he's there.
For FantasyWriter:
Never again will I be a fool, I will from now on, wrap my tool.

February 04, 2008, 01:01:39 PM #14 Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 01:04:23 PM by bracken
If I log on at a totally dead time, I go there as soon as I can get away from my duties and stay there 'til dawn.  And wait.
I used to feel uncomfortable about staying up all night, but now just accept it as an OOC fact of life.
That beauty and truth should pass utterly

I tavern sit pretty frequently.  If I have nothing else to do IG I'll even go sit in one if no one is around and hope someone will pop up.  Great place to make contacts and overhear sekret infos.  Also great place for RPTs.

Quote from: Bebop on February 04, 2008, 01:44:23 PM
Also great place for RPTs.

Wholeheartedly agree...but too much of that and we'll run out of taverns.

I have a tendency to tavern idle, when there's few people (or a good deal) on, and the place is empty.  It attracts people into the place, if they see someone there to interact with.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

It really depends on the character, I would think.  If I have a desert-wandering weathered rogue, he probably won't be hanging out much in the nearest bar.  But with city-based characters, I tend to spend the vast majority of my free time in taverns.  I am one of those people that will hang out in a tavern with or without other people, because I've found that after a while other people tend to congregate where I'm hanging out.  Maybe that is just because I'm awesome.. but I get the feeling it's because people tend to gravitate toward other people.
"Last night a moth came to my bed
and filled my tired weary head
with horrid tales of you, I can't believe it's true.
But then the lampshade smiled at me -
It said believe, it said believe.
I want you to know it's nothing personal."

The Chosen