The Perfect Mail

Started by Sanvean, January 12, 2008, 01:12:56 PM

I was just giving someone feedback on a piece of mail they'd sent that was pretty much a "here's a log, extract the details from it" message and wanted to pass this along to the rest of you in the hope that it's helpful.

One thing that's really helpful with this sort of e-mail is if you include a few brief sentences at the beginning that sums up the details. Something like:

In this log, (character name) is hired by (second character name) as a guard for House Whatsit for 500 sid a year. He swore a loyalty oath and agreed to have his ears cut off if he ever quit. He's a little uneasy about the ears thing.

Because we may lack the time to read through the entire log, it's a huge kindness to us to create that sort of summary, and it makes sure we don't inadvertently miss the information that you're trying to convey.

This benefits both sender and recipient more than just a straightforward log. I also really appreciate it when players include the character and account name, since that really helps me keep things straight.

It's good to be specific about what you need. I got an e-mail today where the person had bolded the questions they needed answers to, and that was very helpful.

I STRONGLY STRONGLY STRONGLY suggest pretending that you only have 250 words to use in the email and producing that summary of the important details at the beginning. Then attach all the rambling and logs you want after that. I think the habit of sending five page e-mails hurts some of you because when there's a constant deluge of stuff, it becomes so difficult to wade through that we end up putting it aside for when we have more time -- a moment that never seems to come.

Make sense?

Quote from: Sanvean on January 12, 2008, 01:12:56 PMI think the habit of sending five page e-mails hurts some of you because when there's a constant deluge of stuff, it becomes so difficult to wade through that we end up putting it aside for when we have more time -- a moment that never seems to come.

Quoting for emphasis and truth.
Goryteller

Quote from: RockScissors are fine.  Please nerf paper.

I have a habit of getting long winded.  If after I am done with an e-mail (both to staff and in business) and it looks long and painful, I usually write a quick summary.  The idea is that you convey the important information in a short version, and if they want the long winded version they can read the whole thing.  I find this helps me from dumping a novel into people's mail boxes, yet still gives them the option of extracting all the details.

Dear Sanvean,

Short Version:
In relation to a current Kuraci plot involving Ivan the Krathi, I need a feather duster, a brick of purple spice, and a yellow kank loaded.  The Kuraci staff should be able to confirm that I should have access to these items.  With th is I can with this, I can move the Ivan the Krathi plot forward.

Long Version:
So, as you might or might not know, my character, Amos the Destroyer got involved with Malek's plot to destroy Luir's.  For the past week my character has been....

Regards,
Character: Amos
Account:  l33tRP5k1lz

As someone who has had to read through long rambling and needlessly detailed memos, I heartily endorse this message.

Quote from: Sanvean on January 12, 2008, 01:12:56 PM
I was just giving someone feedback on a piece of mail they'd sent that was pretty much a "here's a log, extract the details from it" message and wanted to pass this along to the rest of you in the hope that it's helpful.

One thing that's really helpful with this sort of e-mail is if you include a few brief sentences at the beginning that sums up the details. Something like:

In this log, (character name) is hired by (second character name) as a guard for House Whatsit for 500 sid a year. He swore a loyalty oath and agreed to have his ears cut off if he ever quit. He's a little uneasy about the ears thing.

Because we may lack the time to read through the entire log, it's a huge kindness to us to create that sort of summary, and it makes sure we don't inadvertently miss the information that you're trying to convey.

This benefits both sender and recipient more than just a straightforward log. I also really appreciate it when players include the character and account name, since that really helps me keep things straight.

It's good to be specific about what you need. I got an e-mail today where the person had bolded the questions they needed answers to, and that was very helpful.

I STRONGLY STRONGLY STRONGLY suggest pretending that you only have 250 words to use in the email and producing that summary of the important details at the beginning. Then attach all the rambling and logs you want after that. I think the habit of sending five page e-mails hurts some of you because when there's a constant deluge of stuff, it becomes so difficult to wade through that we end up putting it aside for when we have more time -- a moment that never seems to come.

Make sense?

She is totally talking about me...  :P

But that's fine and her point makes sense.  I then resent another one after that and was more to what she wanted.

J-Rod

For those times when you feel it is better to send a detailed email please try to nicely format the email to make it easier to read.  I like getting lots of detail, what is not fun are emails that are hard to read.  Here are some simple rules to follow:

-- Paragraphs are your friend.  A two page long, single paragraph is really hard to get through.  I've experienced these, usually I skim through as best as I can before my eyes start crossing.

-- Many smaller, concise paragraphs that get the point across quickly are better than fewer, long rambling paragraphs.

-- Separating paragraphs with a blank line makes them easier to read on line.

-- Organizing your emails helps greatly.  A quick summary, followed by the details, then ending up with a section for IC and OOC questions usually works quite well.

-- Try not to overload your staffer with row after row of questions and requests within a single email.  It usually leads us to putting the email to the side to when we can get to all those questions.  After this happens it has a good chance of getting buried in the pile of slush that streams in.   That is not to say don't ask questions, just keep the number reasonable, or break the questions into more emails.

-- If you can nicely format the email by using bullet points and bolding where appropriate it helps in the readability of the email.
This post is a natural hand-made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and are in no way to be considered flaws or defects.