Skins/Format/View of new GDB

Started by Incognito, January 10, 2008, 11:07:09 AM

January 10, 2008, 11:07:09 AM Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 11:10:13 AM by Incognito
I'm not sure if this is a personal browser related problem, but after the new GDB has been introduced, I find that the layout/format/look of the GDB is - not like the old one - for lack of a better way to explain it.

I guess - what I mean is - the skins don't look like the old one, and the entire page doesnt fit in one screen - like it used to.

I've tried all the different skins too, and even the Arm default skin doesnt look like the old gdb used to.  For some reason, my screen keeps showing patches of the background and then rectangular overlays for the various text boxes - very jarring!

I'm using IE 7 and am able to view most other sites, including the old gdb just fine.

Can someone help me if I'm doing something wrong, or just confirm that they're seeing the same (though not pleasant to the eye) thing?

Thanks

Edited to add:  I'm not one to make drastic statements, but despite being a hardcore fan of the gdb, this is really getting me down, almost to the point that I've stopped posting/reading it.......!
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

Could you please take a screenshot and post the link here?

I think what you're seeing is the intentional layout.

Not sure if you're having a problem due to a bug or merely disliking the theme, so here is a screenshot of how it should look in IE7:

If you're experiencing a bug where it doesn't look like that (sans the admin parts of the interface) please post a screenshot and I'll take a look at it.

If you simply don't like it, constructive feedback always welcome.  I'll keep an eye out for it since I designed the theme.  It does look different from the old one intentionally.

If it's not a bug, you can always change the theme. Profile> Look and Layout Preferences.

I like Core, myself.
Quote from: H. L.  MenckenEvery normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Raesanos,
My screen looks exactly like the snapshot you pasted.

Would it be possible to modify the skin, so that the background (zalanthan sand colored) is all over the page?

The white boxes within the background are really jarring to the eye.

Plus, it'd make it look more like the old GDB view.

Of course, its just a request, if its too much trouble/time consuming, please disregard....

TY.
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

Sorry to hear you don't like the default theme :(  Vanth made one that looks more like the old one, maybe take a look at that?  Currently we are staying with this one as it is as the default.

The one I made is simplywhite, which is not white, it's a white theme I recolored to be Armageddonish.
Nyr: newbs killing newbs
Nyr: hot newb on newb violence
Ath: Mmmmmm, HOT!

Quote from: Vanth on January 15, 2008, 06:28:58 AM
The one I made is simplywhite, which is not white, it's a white theme I recolored to be Armageddonish.
Frankly, it should be the default. I use it religiously.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

January 15, 2008, 10:38:16 AM #9 Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 11:46:56 AM by Raesanos
The reasoning for keeping this one the default instead of the one that looks like the old GDB is that it has a more clean, professional look.  We understand that some people prefer the old style, which is why we provide another option.  Any change will have some people that don't like it and thats the way of things, so hopefully Vanth's skin has helped ease the transition to the new board technology.  I've seen enough positive feedback that I don't think this skin is truly problematic.

Some people have brought up readability, but all the empirical research on the subject that I've read actually shows good readability (measured as word recognition time) for arial in black on white.  A lot of web sites and books have differing opinions, but they are just that.