Catching arrows?

Started by Qzzrbl, January 04, 2008, 11:25:44 PM

For a warrior, trying to parry an arrow is just as hard as an archer (ranger) trying to parry a weapon. Hah Hah Hah.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

I once tried to catch 2 arrows at the same time.
Here is my x-ray.

Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Your a cat?
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Yes, in Arm.2.
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Instead of having it being a regular thing, you could have this as being a possibility (albeit a small one) for people facing really low-skilled with an extremely high skill. (Like reversing disarms, and reversing kicks.) That way, when said person critically misses, you snatch the dagger out of a kink in your armor or out of a nearby plank or... I dunno?
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: Is Friday on January 05, 2008, 11:59:08 PM
Instead of having it being a regular thing, you could have this as being a possibility (albeit a small one) for people facing really low-skilled with an extremely high skill. (Like reversing disarms, and reversing kicks.) That way, when said person critically misses, you snatch the dagger out of a kink in your armor or out of a nearby plank or... I dunno?

Impossible, as noone plays with just one weapon. They never have a free hand.

Quote from: Maybe42or54 on January 06, 2008, 10:42:03 AM
Quote from: Is Friday on January 05, 2008, 11:59:08 PM

Impossible, as noone plays with just one weapon. They never have a free hand.

Okay, restrict it to having a free hand. What's the big deal? It's highly improbable for it to happen, still.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Catching arrows is silly.  Except perhaps as a granted skill from an immortal as some famed warrior reaches the apex of his skill.  Branching to it, no way.  Cheesy.

Besides, catching arrows is what a shield is used for...or Bynner's heads.
I was with Kul on that trip.

Gotta say ... this is a fantasy game, even in it's most mundane fashion. I personally like the idea of a super-maxxed warrior being able to do this. And Super Maxxed Warriorstm are nowhere near as common as you think. It takes 100+ days to max every warrior skill and its branchs. So should a 150 day warrior get it? Seriously, yeh, I say so.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Why don't we all just cut the bullshit out and say that, yes, godly warriors can parry/snatch arrows out of the air?

And by godly, I mean you need to be in the 30+ day range. I have had 10 day warriors who could parry arrows, and I've caught an arrow once.

I've actually seen ultra powerful warriors back in the day snatch more than one arrow out of the air.

It takes an amazing amount of skill, however.

This is a fantasy game, not the real world. Heightened physical attributes and dexterity dictate/infer that yes, at higher levels of training, one could very well likely catch/parry an arrow in flight.

January 07, 2008, 06:31:00 PM #36 Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 06:32:41 PM by Is Friday
There's an action and reaction time... reaction always being slower. I watched a thing on samurai, and one of their main disciplines was the observation of an opponent's movement. It got so complex as to pinpoint particular muscles of the feet of opponents, and when they tensed, they were moving this way, or that way. Naturally, it was also a main practice to conceal your own muscular tensions and movements.

The idea was that if you acted in response to the moment before the action took place, (the muscle tensing,) you could parry, deflect, disarm, or kill your opponent based not on speed but on foresight.

I'd imagine that if it were possible to catch arrows, it'd be something similar in the observation of movement, not on the reaction to an arrow's flight. I'd fathom it's possible somehow, if not in the way that some people seem to think it is. Of course it's nigh impossible to catch arrows you see it half a second on its 80mph flight to you, unless you see that it's going to be delivered already.

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on January 07, 2008, 11:38:29 AM
Gotta say ... this is a fantasy game, even in it's most mundane fashion. I personally like the idea of a super-maxxed warrior being able to do this. And Super Maxxed Warriorstm are nowhere near as common as you think. It takes 100+ days to max every warrior skill and its branchs. So should a 150 day warrior get it? Seriously, yeh, I say so.

Honestly a 150 day warrior should be worrying more about his osteoporosis, sciatica, senility, and those whippersnappers always trampling his azalea bushes and always complaining about "Kids these days!  Why in my day people had respect for the Highlord!"
man
/mæn/

-noun

1.   A biped, ungrateful.

Haha.

I'm not to sure that someone, despite watching a direction, could catch a mid-flight arrow. I never use projectiles, so I'm not saying that it would make me mad, but I just think that's a bit too farfetched and grandiloquent.

Quote from: Tomeglow on January 07, 2008, 10:41:22 PM
grandiloquent
I have never heard that word. Right on.

Also, I agree that it is far-fetched, but it would be cool as hell. We don't play Armageddon for reality's sake, so I see no issue with having Beowolf moments.

Monk class ftw.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Crying out in a rather pissy tone with tightly balled, burning fists, the red robed Krathi says, in sirihish, "It's not realistic to catch arrows out of midair!"

Um...That would be a blue dress thankyou.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: Is Friday on January 07, 2008, 06:31:00 PM
There's an action and reaction time... reaction always being slower. I watched a thing on samurai ... Naturally, it was also a main practice to conceal your own muscular tensions and movements.

Hence the dress-wearing in Aikido? ;D
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: rishenko on January 08, 2008, 07:26:44 AM
Crying out in a rather pissy tone with tightly balled, burning fists, the red robed Krathi says, in sirihish, "It's not realistic to catch arrows out of midair!

You joke, but before they made parrying an projectiles roughly impossible (I saw Davaz miss half of the spears thrown at him once, that scared me), I had a character who was basically an anti-aircraft gun.  During the Allanaki occupation of the north he pissed off some townies while he was out raping their land.  One archer in particular tried to dump a few arrows into my hide.  I promptly knocked them out of the air and give him a good fright.  Latter in the day I met him in the tavern and gave him his arrows back with a self satisfied smirk.  He promptly stood up and accused me of being a magiker because only a damned magiker could possibly pick arrows out of the air like that.

Personally, I don't mind things being a little fantastic.  I never lost sleep when pick pockets stoled a heavy mace from someone's belt, nor when a warrior stood toe to toe with a Mek.  As long as the world makes sense within itself, I am content.  The ability to be slightly larger than real life isn't a bad thing so long as it is kept in moderation and reserved for the truly exceptional.

My biggest problem with catching arrows is that, while within the (bent) bounds of acceptable realism, it feels cheesy. Personal preference. Not to mention it could cause game balance issues. However, that latter, I'm sure our coders could take into account.

I'm all for making mundanes have a better chance of being a possible threat to magickers. (Yes, I'm trying to hate on magickers.)

I would enjoy this skill.

Quote from: Maybe42or54 on January 08, 2008, 09:29:18 PM
I'm all for making mundanes have a better chance of being a possible threat to magickers. (Yes, I'm trying to hate on magickers.)

I would enjoy this skill.

I don't really get how this would make them more of a threat to magickers. Like... all those magickers that shoot arrows?  ???
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

lol

Catching a bolt of lightning?