Random idea sent from my cell phone at 5:14 am :D

Started by Qzzrbl, December 23, 2007, 06:19:28 AM

If two charactes sparred with eachother all the time, and fought several battles as a team, wouldn't they get certain bonuses in combat for knowing eachother's styles and tendencies?

Oooh, I like this!!  Could fit in with "assist" I guess.
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

They don't.  Not codewise.  Unless you mean getting buffed up due to sparring, which happens.  But it is just like sparring any other guy.

Should they?  Yeah, perhaps.  But I am not sure how you can "tell" ginka about this (in terms of code)
some of my posts are serious stuff

I proposed a few skills that do something similar in this thread - http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,28469.0.html

Although they're more about practicing tactics in general than in learning to fight really well with one specific person. But they'd effectively play out the same way, if you and that person practiced tactics together a lot.

Just sparring against one person, the same person that you were fighting with, would not improve how well you fought together, only how well you were able to fight (like sparring currently does).  The only extra bonus coming from that would be knowing the strengths and weaknesses of your partner and how better to kill them, but I don't think we want to see something like that in the game.  O_O

Now if you had a group of people that fought together against a common foe often with one comrade that directed the positioning and tactics of the others, I could see a reason to start getting a boost.

Maybe we need some type of leadership skill.  Since we don't have a solid type of grouping system, perhaps certain classes in a clan could utilize this skill to temporarily increase the fighting ability of their clanmates of a lower rank.  This would last only while the clanmates remain in the same room with the higher ranked commander, and could potentially work like teach (but hopefully not interfering with the restrictions currently on teach).  We could call it something cool like Super Ultra Doom Byn Rally.

Then again, maybe it's an idea for Arm 2.0.
Tryin' to make friends but people are jerks,
So I'm gonna put some fleas on you.
And the fleas'll have the plague,
And they'll make you cough a lot,
Then you'll be too sick to hurt my feelings anymore.

December 23, 2007, 07:30:44 PM #5 Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 07:37:57 PM by Mood
I really like this idea - it could possibly be an invisible skill? It'd be nice if it granted a bonus while fighting against the person, too - if you've fought someone before, chances are, you're going to know their weaknesses. It would allow smarter, more observant fighters to get an edge in combat.
Quote from: H. L.  MenckenEvery normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.