Mount w/ cart

Started by My 2 sids, December 17, 2007, 09:09:06 AM

I think having a mount with small cart attached would be perfect, both for Arm.1 and Arm.2   It would allow people to travel with huge loads, one or two PCs could travel -in- the cart, it could make "pilot" skill a lot more in demand, and it wouldn't be as expensive as a huge wagon.

Now, we've had problems with hitching carts to mounts in the past, so why not (code wise) simply make mount and cart ONE item? 
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

Like the wagons are now?

I am pretty sure a cart could be as simple as a one room wagon. I also know that there were charioats in the game at one point, that were just NPCs with nifty descriptions.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

That would be cool. I would prefer to see carts as separate objects and not just as an NPC called "a kank with a cart". Some necessary details:

Riding a mount with a cart trailing behind shouldn't require the pilot skill, probably just a higher ride skill than what is normally required to ride a mount perfectly.

Higher stamina drain for the mount.

Possibility of stealing, damaging, robbing and sneaking into the cart.

Cart should remain if mount dies.
Telling the Truth Where Others Hush.

I'm all about carts in a variety of forms.  Totally the most common form of ancient transport.  ;)

Also, palanquins.  I could see these being huge status symbols somewhere like Basal... People carrying another person over their heads?  Easy to implement, even in the current game, and wouldn't it just be awe inspiring to see some Faithful (or equivalent) being carried through the streets by their slaves?
Quote from: Wish

Don't think you're having all the fun...
You know me, I hate everyone!

Wish there was something real!
Wish there was something true!
Wish there was something real,
in this world full of YOU!

I believe there's already a similar means of transportation, but not widely available. Which it should be. Because it rocks.

Quote from: Throttle on December 17, 2007, 09:16:05 AM
Riding a mount with a cart trailing behind shouldn't require the pilot skill, probably just a higher ride skill than what is normally required to ride a mount perfectly.

I don't know about that.  Admittedly I know nothing about livestock, but I've never seen a guy casually riding an animal that is also pulling a vehicle.  Since I'm sure people in RL have enough imagination to think of trying it, I have to assume that there is some really good reason why the pilot always rides in the vehicle rather than riding on the lead animal.  At the very least, I would expect it to drastically reduce the towing capacity of the animal.  Pulling a rolling weight is much less tiring than a weight sitting on your back (that is why carts were invented)  so every pound  on your back will displace several pounds in the cart.

There should be some synergy between riding and piloting.  If you are good at handling animals in general, then you may have more luck in your first attempt at driving a wagon than a guy who has no experience with animals.
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

When I think of mount-pulled carts, I think of little merchant carts that are just meant to carry goods and maybe a person in a pinch. Actual wagons drawn by mounts are already in the game. I'm picturing something more like a small trailer.

Ox and cart is pretty much the most common type of animal-drawn cart around Earth... Unfortunately I don't think many people really ride oxen, so it's kind of difficult to determine if riding the mount makes sense or not... Typically, from what I understand, the oxen are led, and less often a driver resides in the cart.

That said, it seems entirely feasible, to me, that an inix (or equivalent beastie) could both carry a man and haul a cart.
Quote from: Wish

Don't think you're having all the fun...
You know me, I hate everyone!

Wish there was something real!
Wish there was something true!
Wish there was something real,
in this world full of YOU!

Well, part of my suggestion is also based on the OOC need to make the pilot skill into something that's actually an asset.  Right now outside a few nobles/ merchants the skill isn't used because only the extremely rich have wagons.
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

I've seen carts in the game before. Little open one-room wagons.

Certainly the implementation can be improved though, so that you need to hitch for example an inix to the cart to make it work rather than the cart animal(s) being virtual. And so that if you're in the cart, you can still see the world outside without having to type 'look out' each time the cart moves.
Lunch makes me happy.

And vehicles need to be easier to stop.  This will require anyone with a cart or wagon traveling long ways to bring guards / outriders with them.  A man on a kank might be able to ride around a ditch or avoid trouble by heading off through the forests, but carts and wagons should not be able to do this.

Mounts should be able to be unhitched (their attachment points broken) from the outside to disable wagons / carts.

More guards needed - more jobs for people.  More banditry - all good!    :D
I was with Kul on that trip.