Merchants gone mad?

Started by Salt Merchant, December 06, 2007, 09:53:16 PM

What is this merchant trying to do? Each time my character offers a spear, he's quoting a lower price for it.

>offer spear
The short, dark-haired merchant says to you:
     "I shall buy a long bone-headed spear from you for 20 obsidian coins."

>!
     "I shall buy a long bone-headed spear from you for 16 obsidian coins."

>!
     "I shall buy a long bone-headed spear from you for 14 obsidian coins."

>!
     "I shall buy a long bone-headed spear from you for 13 obsidian coins."

>!
The short, dark-haired merchant insists on keeping the price the same for a bloodied long bone-headed spear.

>!
The short, dark-haired merchant insists on keeping the price the same for a bloodied long bone-headed spear.

>!
     "I shall buy a long bone-headed spear from you for 12 obsidian coins."

>!
     "Let's keep the price at 12 obsidian coins, shall we?"

>!
     "Let's keep the price at 12 obsidian coins, shall we?"
Lunch makes me happy.

Stop trying to offer the spear for nothing. They want to spend their money!  I havn't experienced that, but I always "Offer shit target."
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

I had no idea you could use ! to repeat a command.

AND KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!
musashi: It's also been argued that jesus was a fictional storybook character.

When you 'offer spear' you are basically doing the same as 'offer spear 0' so...you're talking him down. :P

Tell him how much you want for the spear, or if you're not sure, use the first offer as a starting point.
Nyr: newbs killing newbs
Nyr: hot newb on newb violence
Ath: Mmmmmm, HOT!

The thing is that it is not consistent.

For example, at the same merchant:

>offer club
     "Let's keep the price at 11 obsidian coins, shall we?"

>!

>!

>offer club 0
     "You haggle well, your offer is acceptable."
Lunch makes me happy.

Maybe they just get annoyed easily, and don't really need your stuff?

You begin moving silently toward your victim.

December 07, 2007, 06:45:21 AM #7 Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 06:49:46 AM by Salt Merchant
Quote from: lurkus ignoramus on December 07, 2007, 06:17:32 AM
Maybe they just get annoyed easily, and don't really need your stuff?

I know that they mostly don't want my stuff.  :D Nearly all of them have no coin for buying (except within the first ten minutes of a reboot, I've observed).

To top it off, if you haggle, they won't tell you this until you've finally agreed on a price.
Lunch makes me happy.

If you try to haggle with items that are bloody/sweaty/stained, the merchant will haggle -down-, because he doesn't want to buy your shitty, dirty gear.

This is your problem.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

That happened me too. I offered to sell at a higher price than he wanted to pay, then he dropped what he would pay, instead of going up. It was weird. I moved on and haven't seen it since, think it was Welen's in Allanak...
Carpe Diem - Fish of the day

Quote from: Synthesis on January 25, 2008, 06:47:41 AM
If you try to haggle with items that are bloody/sweaty/stained, the merchant will haggle -down-, because he doesn't want to buy your shitty, dirty gear.

This is your problem.

No, it isn't. I wasn't trying to sell bloody/sweaty/stained gear.

However, I think the problem may have been fixed now.
Lunch makes me happy.

Alternatively, your haggle skill is low enough that you offended him with your higher offer, so he won't even give you the generous amount he would before.

January 25, 2008, 11:41:36 AM #12 Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 11:44:08 AM by Salt Merchant
Quote from: Troicha on January 25, 2008, 11:22:46 AM
Alternatively, your haggle skill is low enough that you offended him with your higher offer, so he won't even give you the generous amount he would before.

It's extremely unlikely that this was the case. My character was able to haggle quite well under other circumstances. Also, it would take a negative skill level to cause them to bid down, wouldn't it?

I suspect it was a case of a good haggling skill combined with a second bonus (won't describe what) causing overflow in a single-byte variable. Who knows, though.
Lunch makes me happy.

Keep in mind, danaged counts on the bloodied stained etc and usually the merchant will haggle down.

ANY use flag on the item is damage. New is damaged. Undamaged gear has no flags.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: Salt Merchant>!

That's bloodied, is it not?
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on January 25, 2008, 01:05:10 PM
Quote from: Salt Merchant>!

That's bloodied, is it not?

Okay, you got me there. But it cropped up more than once, for diverse items.
Lunch makes me happy.

Maybe it's a bug.

Maybe the shopkeep doesn't like you and he's being a smart ass.

I've never ever ever ever had a shopkeep lower the price they would pay.
Quote from: Saikun
I can tell you for sure it won't be tonight. So no point in poking at it all night long. I'd suggest sleep, or failing that, take to the streets and wreak havoc.

Quote from: Salt Merchant on January 25, 2008, 11:41:36 AM
Quote from: Troicha on January 25, 2008, 11:22:46 AM

It's extremely unlikely that this was the case. My character was able to haggle quite well under other circumstances. Also, it would take a negative skill level to cause them to bid down, wouldn't it?

I suspect it was a case of a good haggling skill combined with a second bonus (won't describe what) causing overflow in a single-byte variable. Who knows, though.

You missed my point because I disguised it. I was giving an IC explanation for the event. (Yes, I know it doesn't solve any potential code problem, but it might help with breaking your disbelief.)

This is a bug of some kind.  Don't ask me what kind of bug it is, because I am not a coder, but I believe it only occurs when the item is damaged or imperfect in some way.
Goryteller

Quote from: RockScissors are fine.  Please nerf paper.

Gotta say, it is odd. Two identical weapons, one of them hit someone eight times. I sell unused item and get x, but I manage to haggle it up by a few 'sid and sell it. The next weapon that was used only in one fight, end up being 60% of the previous cost and my attempt to haggle it up ended up dropping it to 50%. I mean, I understand the change in prices of being used and unused, but ... holy shit 40% drop over a 30 second fight.

Quote from: Eukelade on January 25, 2008, 07:53:42 PM
This is a bug of some kind.  Don't ask me what kind of bug it is, because I am not a coder, but I believe it only occurs when the item is damaged or imperfect in some way.

It's a bug if it's happening anywhere other than Kadius.  Kadians do, in fact, pay less for damaged/soiled items.  Some Kadians refuse to buy these items at all.

Does Kadius even buy weapons?

There's probably one Kadian who does, but that's not the one I mean...I was talking about the shops where they sell and buy clothes.