'Think' Question.

Started by Vessol, December 05, 2007, 05:16:37 PM

I know this has been brought up before, but not recently?

Do you use the think command much? What kind of things do you think of?(if you can say here).

Myself. Honestly I do not use it much, for me it is cumbersome. For me when I am roleplaying I think for my character in my own mind, I do not know if this is strange but I am able to create a basic form of my characters mind in my own mind and then think what he/she would think of in the game. For me typing 'think blah blah blah' breaks that RP for me, if i do think it is commentary and barely that. I seriously do not like using think in great amounts because to me it does not feel natural. I am fine with solo emoting, but thinking does not work for me.

My second question is. Am I a bad roleplayer if I do not use the think command much at all?

You are not a bad roleplayer.

If you are "thinking" as your character, but in your head, then you're roleplaying.

Sadly, none of us can share in that "robust" roleplaying you are doing.

If you used the think command, we might be able too.

Some people the think command helps you reflect a little too, as your type it, it allows you to really see and question your chracters thoughts, as opposed to them fleeting by in your own head.

I use "think" often. But a lot of the time it's more like my character having a dialogue with herself. Half of it's out loud, half with the "think" command. It's a very easy thing to slip into when you need to solo-rp for a little while. What's fun, is when my character says something out loud, in response to something she was thinking silently, only to discover that someone was there listening to her. They might see

>The PC says, in weirdo-accented sirihish, "..and I'll POUNCE! Like an escru on fire! Bwahahaha! Mwahahaha!"

With no context, and obviously she's not talking -to- anyone. Thinking is fun. Thinking is especially fun during solo-RP.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I tend to use feels more than thinks, but I think that's a character-specific thing--some are more visceral and emotional than brainy.

I do, however, use think a TON when I'm going through menial tasks like crafting or wandering the bazaar. Also when my character is feeling duplicitous, it's fun to use thinks to utterly contradict what they're saying.

QuoteYou send a telepathic message to the manly-man Byn sergeant:
     "Of course, sarge, I'll do better next contract, I swear!"

You think:
     "Fucker, you won't be -around- for the next contract if I get my way."
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

I do not use feel, or rather, I hardly do.

I love incorporating feelings into thoughts.

> think (a sense of urgency tingling within the back of your mind) Spidey sense!

I love the think command.

I even use the dream command, which can be alot of fun.

I do not think that anyone who decides not the use the think command is a bad roleplayer.

Perhaps it's not for everyone? If you're playing a character and engaging with the world, you are roleplaying. No worries there man.

For me, personally, it helps augment my roleplay, keep my in character, and provide context to various emotions/actions my character has/will commit.

That's it really.

Depends on the character. My less intellectual characters think less often, my less emotionally aware characters feel less often.

However, when my character is lying about something to someone (about information, an event, a person, thoughts, or feelings), then I believe a think or feel is necessary about that.

Also when my character's external reaction to a situation doesn't match the internal, then I use feel or think for that. (Oh fuck we're all gonna die! while remaining outwardly calm.)

Also my characters will tend to have snarky thoughts about other people pretty frequently.

And sometimes I'll think when my character is planning or working on something.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Yes, I use think very, very often. At the very least it's a courtesy to mindbenders and [anyone else who can read thoughts.]

I love think. Some pcs think more than others. I think more during downtime, but I love think.
I think about how my pc feels about things, what she wants or thinks she wants or wants to think she wants.   Sometimes my pcs lie to themselves. Sometimes they have revelations. Sometimes they make plans, big and small. Sometimes I make shopping lists. Sometimes I give words to my pc's frustrations. Sadly, I find that a lot of my pc's think people are idiots, and ponder just how stupid people can be. Which probably means my pcs aren't as smart as they or I think they are. Sometimes I forget to think. But I love think.

I take especially perverse pleasure in thinking things that my pc wouldn't want anyone to know she thought in crowded places to improve the chance having her mind read.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

For me, the think command is a good way to make my intentions clear or amuse a mind bender.  When, I am idle, I plan via thinking.  When I am in conversation, even if it is a fast conversation, I tend to try and drop the occasional think, especially when I lie.  In a fast conversation I think very little, but if I am telling the truth or lying and someone might want to know if I am telling the truth or telling a lie, I at least type "think I am lying."  If I have a subtle reaction to something, like turning away from a magiker, sneering at someone's comment, smiling at something I overheard, etc, I usually explain the reaction in a think.  I find it helps keep myself amused when I am bored and keeps me honest about what my character thinks about a certain situation.  It also lets mindbenders use their abilities to their fullest, and keeps any watching staff up to date on why I am doing what I am doing.

I almost never use the feel command.  "think Oh shit!  That Templar wants to talk to me!" works just as well as feel a sense of rising terror.  My "think" habits come from pre-feel command, and so I tend to forget that it is there.

I had a character that never used any communication another PC would normally be able to hear.  No says, tells, talks, psis or whispers.  The only thing I DID use was think and feel.  This was a loner character, mind you.

For most characters, though, it is a way for me to analyze my character more than it is to help others.  It helps me to get into the character's mindset, and it lets those that CAN read my character's thoughts know what is going on.  For the first reason, it helps me to develop my character by actually doing the hard thinking that I would do in words in my own head... as my character.  It helps me differentiate my character from other characters.  For the second reason, the big thing is letting staff know why my character does the things s/he is doing.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

It's sometimes hard to remember the new commands that enter the game.  I forget sometimes...

Stun?  What's Stun?  Subclasses?  Woah.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

As others mentioned already, I tend to use think in situations that are emotionally distressing, or when I am lying. As others stated it is 'Just incase a bender is watching' to entertain them, because I think 'think' fuels mindbender RP which is a good thing.
For less menial things I sometimes throw out a think, but usually I have nothing much to reflect on.

One reason I believe I find problems with using think is that I find it hard to incorperate my own views of thoughts into my character in-game. The main reason is I have a very 'disorganized' and 'chaotic' mind. I won't say anything more, as I am not 100% sure on that condition, not that it mattes.

In the end I think all that matters is that you stay consistent with the game world and the events going on around you and react realistically and stimulate roleplay.

I love the think command. It's far easier for me to spam out thinks than to emote. Also, typing things out sometimes brings ideas out that I wouldn't have had from just thinking silently in my head.

Sometimes I forget it, though.

I'm pretty sure I've entertained at least one mindbender in the past, without knowing about it at that time.
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

I'm from long LONG before the think command existed.

For years I did not use it once it did. Prefering the way I always dealt with it, emotes, talking to self, mount.

I try now to pop them in there now and again, Some pcs far more then others. If it is a social/mundane PC, then there will be very few thinks. Because I'm more interested in interacting with the PCs  around mine then anything else. I'm not a blazing typest so, the more that is going on, the more things have to suffer...feels first, then thinks then emotes.

I am beginning to use mood more though...I rather like that addition.

And Bio rocks...I use it more and more with each PC, I love being able to give my PC an online memory/history and try to keep things he knows up to date in that manner.

Thinks simply feel funny...dreams...cannot do...sorry, but a dream is subconcius(meh..5am, can't spell) and therefore outside of control. I'll leave that to other forces.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

I use think for a lot of things.

As several people have mentioned, when my character is being dishonest he usually thinks/feels about something.
I think when my character is having internal reactions that he would not be expressing outwardly (except through hemotes, which I also like).
My character has arguments with himself in his head, about his inclinations, wants, and also...
I do thinks/feels to think/feel about the things he wants to do but knows he shouldn't.  That's usually amusing.
I backtalk, bitch at, and think about how other people are stupid.  Often.  Also because it amuses me.
I think a lot of 'Oh shit' at the appropriate times.
I think to have him wish for things, or pray about things, a hope for things, or when he's afraid of things.
My character thinks about how he is attracted to various people.
My character dreams.

I do other things with thinks, but I need to run to work  ;D
"Last night a moth came to my bed
and filled my tired weary head
with horrid tales of you, I can't believe it's true.
But then the lampshade smiled at me -
It said believe, it said believe.
I want you to know it's nothing personal."

The Chosen

I use think a lot. Usually, when I am bored, tired of solo-ing (which I do way too much these days), I can't help it and end bitching and musing about something. Spam solo-thinking is a little easier than spam solo-emoting, at least for me.

I use feels in thinks, but I don't use feel alone much at all. I'd love to, but I simply keep forgetting it exist.

I mostly use think when I am 1) plotting, 2) working through some sort of confusion or contradiction, or 3) when my characters actions do not accurately depict her motivations, ie. she is being manipulative, faking it, or being dishonest in some way.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."~D. Adams

I have CDO.  It's like OCD but the letters are in alphabetical order.       Like they should be.

December 08, 2007, 12:27:43 PM #17 Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 01:25:57 PM by staggerlee
I love the think command, I don't know if I could seriously play without it. It's the key to getting into my character's mindset.  The biggest time I use think is when I'm solo rping, walking places, first logging on, or otherwise alone.

When I'm talking to other people a lot of what I'd think I just say out loud.  Unless I'm lying/specifically not saying something, or my character has something else on their mind.  I do use it a lot when my character is confused, or has something on their mind, or to figure out their motivations.  I find that a lot of my character's real personality development comes out in solo rp after dealing with people, letting the days events sink in and running over them in their mind.

It's also a ton of fun if you're playing something like a guard, and can't really be involved in a conversation going on around you.

I've used dream a couple times, but don't sleep all that much in game and it is a bit awkward to explain dreams.  Maybe I'd have an easier time with it if I was a lucid dreamer in real life?   I try to work in vague feelings and anxieties.

Dream:  A wild feeling of panic as I'm crushed beneath the massive weight of... something.
or
Dream: That hot pink halfling I saw a few weeks ago is dancing in my head, and for some reason I'm at total peace

I have trouble with feel still, but I'm getting better.  If I get my finger cut off I don't tend to "feel: A sharp lance of pain as the finger is lopped off" I tend to "think: Son of a bitch! That really fucking hurt!"  Arguably feel would help me bring my character to life, but I have trouble with it.  I also almost never remember to modifiers to my thinks.

I only really use feel to supplement my emotional reaction to things, when I'm solo rping I'll toss it in to bring the world to life:

Emote: Tugs his cloak tighter around himself.
Feel: The wind and sand cutting through the thin cloak and battering my skin.

Mood... I forgot mood even existed.
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

My #1 time to use "think" falls into 4 categories:
a) when I am getting my butt kicked in a fight.  The emotes are usually pretty limited.  This is not a time to worry about punctuation.
ex: >think fuck!

b) when recovering from a battle
ex: >think Well, that was stupid.  No arguing it.

c) using "think" to dream when I am lying unconscious somewhere
ex: >think The little boy tries to climb out of the hole and get away from the gith, but the circling raptors won't let him get out.

d) When I am about to do something stupid
ex >think That poor child.  Someone better rescue him!  I guess it's me!
    > think Oh, I didn't notice the gem.  Fuck.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Quote from: Forest Junkie on December 05, 2007, 06:42:27 PM
I even use the dream command, which can be alot of fun.

Err....What dream command??

If you use think while asleep it echoes as:
You dream:

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

Quote from: staggerlee on December 10, 2007, 03:40:59 PM
You dream:

Sweet, but what is it for?

Quote from: Tulana on December 10, 2007, 03:45:03 PM
Quote from: staggerlee on December 10, 2007, 03:40:59 PM
You dream:

Sweet, but what is it for?

...for allowing your character to have dreams while s/he sleeps?

Dreaming!

I gave an example of how I use it in my previous post.
I'm not staff so I can't comment on how other people use it.

I suspect it's a tool for your own character development, and to help the staff understand the thoughts and motivations of your character, much like think.

I can't really speculate on whether it has any coded function beyond that, and probably wouldn't want to if I could.

I used to never use thinks or feels or mood, then I really felt once I learned all the basics of emoting and politics to keep me alive that I needed to spread out to thinking and feeling.

A trick I used to teach myself to think often was, I set up a timer on my client to just enter think, which made me get the echo, "Yes, but what do you want to think?" I set that to every 4 minutes, because any sooner and I started to ignore it, or was thinking non stop and missing conversation.

After a while, I stopped using the timer and was thinking in game. I'm still not great with it, and usually I can only do it when I'm conversating and have secret thoughts on whatever it is. For some odd reason I just find it hard to have a straight thought when I'm alone. I seem to go in circles with myself lol.

As for dreams, I've only done it three maybe four times, but it is always fun when I do. It gives me something to think about or talk about when my character wakes up. No, you can't control dreams in rl, but that's the beauty of armageddon. Most people dream about things going on in their life, all you need to do is add something spectacular, confusing  or something you fear to whatever you're dreaming about.
You know you've raised a nerd when your five year old answers the question "Do you know what gymnastics are?" with "Dungeons and Dragons?"

It's never too late to live happily ever after.