Asking for Roles...and why it's important.

Started by titansfan, November 23, 2007, 10:53:27 PM

I really believe that asking for roles over the GDB is a great thing. People should really do this more, in just like two days time I have found roles that have opened my eyes to new parts of the Known World and aspects I never knew before. I say "Do it more everyone" people out there are working hard to drive plots and all they need is help.
Respect. Responsibility. Compassion.

Once upon a time I posted an ad for some family member roles that had been VNPCs, but I thought it might be fun to get PCs in those roles.

It worked out to be awesome beyond my wildest imaginings and led to many plot twists and lots of character development.

Highly recommended.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

I think its rewarding on both sides.

For me, someone who offer(ed) roles, I get to find new perspectives on how people look at my backstory/role itself. That, to me, is interesting and allows me to do a better job the next time, as well as being a better roleplayer because other people may have vastly more experience with a role than I do - even if I'm the one offering it.

There is, however, a caveat.

If someone offers a role, and you take it - don't expect everything to be given to your character right off the bat. In D&D, we call that, 'railroading the plot'. Even if you have an awesome backstory together, a lot is determined by how your character acts now, rather than how they acted in the past. Give that a little bit of time to develop - growing into the role is probably one of the most rewarding things, in my opinion, because it develops trust not just between characters but also between the players sitting in front of their computer screens.

I personally love this idea...  I personally will be trying to find a role to fill once I create my next character.  While my first character is going well, I had to work to get friends and such to RP with.  This would make the first step easier, but that is not to say it's a bad thing.  I personally sometimes enjoy having a role handed to me... it allows me to use my RP knowledge and experience to forward a role that I for one might be challenged to do.  It's kinda like walking into a D&D game and having the DM hand you a character sheet that you need to develop and create into a character that will further the RP with the other members of the game.  I love that and I do it myself when I run my table top games sometimes.

So please!  People go for it and do it!
A staff member sends:
     "Looks like you introduced him to *puts on sunslits* the school of hard Knoxx.  YEEEEAAAAAAH"

Quote from: "JustAnotherGuy"I personally love this idea...  I personally will be trying to find a role to fill once I create my next character.  While my first character is going well, I had to work to get friends and such to RP with.  This would make the first step easier, but that is not to say it's a bad thing.  I personally sometimes enjoy having a role handed to me... it allows me to use my RP knowledge and experience to forward a role that I for one might be challenged to do.  It's kinda like walking into a D&D game and having the DM hand you a character sheet that you need to develop and create into a character that will further the RP with the other members of the game.  I love that and I do it myself when I run my table top games sometimes.

This puts it perfectly. Getting throw into a role really determines just how good you atr at adapting and even if you aren't it's practice. I again suggest it to everyone but those providing the roles. I would also like to thanks those that are creating these cool roles.
Respect. Responsibility. Compassion.

Quote from: "titansfan"
Quote from: "JustAnotherGuy"I personally love this idea...  I personally will be trying to find a role to fill once I create my next character.  While my first character is going well, I had to work to get friends and such to RP with.  This would make the first step easier, but that is not to say it's a bad thing.  I personally sometimes enjoy having a role handed to me... it allows me to use my RP knowledge and experience to forward a role that I for one might be challenged to do.  It's kinda like walking into a D&D game and having the DM hand you a character sheet that you need to develop and create into a character that will further the RP with the other members of the game.  I love that and I do it myself when I run my table top games sometimes.

This puts it perfectly. Getting throw into a role really determines just how good you atr at adapting and even if you aren't it's practice. I again suggest it to everyone but those providing the roles. I would also like to thanks those that are creating these cool roles.

I agree 100%.  Many of my favourite roles in the past have come from creating a character that fits into another person's vision and then combining your creativity with the others involved.  In the end you get a team effort that can go in amazing directions.  Plus I just love the challenge of being handed "Here's what we need - how can you bring this to life?" types of roles :)
People think dreams aren't real just because they aren't made of matter, of particles. Dreams are real. But they are made of viewpoints, of images, of memories and puns and lost hopes.
- John Dee, Preludes & Nocturns

See!  Hehe, almost makes me wanna put my guy in storage, but he's currently in a great situation that I'm absolutely loving.  For my first character in Arm I'm already in love with this game.  I went to all the trouble just so I could figure out a way to play it while I was at work also and I'm on every night now, unless work is busy and that rarely happens since it's dead normally.

Either way, I can only look forward to the best from this place.
A staff member sends:
     "Looks like you introduced him to *puts on sunslits* the school of hard Knoxx.  YEEEEAAAAAAH"