Population Density

Started by mattrious, October 29, 2007, 06:10:43 PM

I was just curious if anyone could point me in the direction of information regarding the populations of our two major cities. I'm curious for emoting purposes as you know on the Caravan road. It is virtually packed with people of all different races going in this direction and that. Filthy commoners reaching out and grabbing on your cloak and little bastard kids trying to trip you into a large pile of kank dung. Is this the same in Tuluk? Are there thronging crowds of filthy commoners and the like? Do you have to push through bustling crowds to get into the market places? Anyway just wanted to find some information regarding it and get other players opinions on how to interact with the VNPC crowds in the different cities.

- Matt.

Quoted figures from a staff post somewhere said that Allanak has approx. 500,000 denizens (or used to..?), while Tuluk has approx. 400,000.

By room descriptions and area size, I think that it'd be safe to say the city of Tuluk is larger spatially than the city of Allanak, in other words Tuluk has more room inside its walls. So Tuluk is likely less dense a city than Allanak. Obviously it'd vary a bit by area - the Red Sun Commons are probably just as bad as Allanak's Bazaar, but Freil's Rest might be a little more spacey.
QuoteThe shopkeeper says, in sirihish:
     "I am closed, come back at dawn."

You say to the shopkeeper, in sirihish:
     "YOU ^*%$*% WORTHLESS SHIT."

You say, in sirihish:
      "Ahem."

From this post in a thread about world population:

Quote from: "Halaster"Updated and verified numbers. Splits muls out of the "other" category, and lowered the percentage of elven slaves to be more in tune with what we feel is correct. Note that the majority of elven "slaves" are in various stages of the criminal system and are being tossed into the arena as combatants - very few are labor slaves.

Allanak (500,000)
322,000 humans (50% are slaves) (64.4% of total)
155,000 elves (10% are slaves) (31.0% of total)
8,000 dwarves (65% are slaves) (1.6% of total)
4,000 half-giants (20% are slaves) (0.8% of total)
6,000 half-elves (40% are slaves) (1.2% of total)
2,000 muls (99% are slaves) (0.4% of total)
3,000 unknown/other/mutant (40% are slaves) (0.6% of total)

Tuluk (350,000)
219,000 humans (50% are slaves) (62.6% of total)
108,500 elves (10% are slaves) (31% of Total)
3,500 dwarves (65% are slaves) (1% of Total)
3,500 half-giants (80% are slaves) (1% of Total)
7,000 half-elves (40% are slaves) (2% of total)
1,500 muls (98% are slaves) (0.4% of total)
7,000 unknown/other/mutant (25% are slaves) (2% of Total)
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

My opinion about areas of Tuluk:

Poets' Circle - Pretty busy. Full of bards and students, including young Chosen who are getting tutoring there. People come for shopping and entertainment if they're not studying/living. Mostly humans, but some non-humans. Not a huge number of slaves hanging out, except those who work for the city in some capacity.

Tribal Market - Extremely busy, with thick crowds. Full of tribal elves and tribal humans of all kinds.

Merchant Quarter - The main northern street is very busy with argosy and wagon traffic, and merchants coming and going. The garden is not so busy, but still has plenty of traffic.

Freil's Rest - Extremely busy with mercantile traffic.

Red Sun Commons - All of the city's resource-trading business is done here. Raw goods come in the Scaien Gate from the Grey Forest and other territories and are brought here for distribution to the rest of the city. So there's lots of people around, but there's also just lots of raw resources lying around - wood, rocks, clay, animal goods.

The Warrens - This is where the city's Common Caste lives. There's a small amount of mercantile traffic here, but mostly it's people coming and going from their work, kids playing on the street, family life.

Nobles' Quarter - Not very busy. A quiet and very lovely quarter. Employees and partisans coming and going. Not much business traffic, except merchants who've been called to estates to meet with Chosen.

Old Quarter - Not very busy. Not a lot of rebuilding has happened yet, but there are some businesses and there is worker (slave crew and soldier) traffic.

Between Old Quarter and Scaien Walls to the east - Almost totally deserted. Quite desolate, not even any animals or much plantlife.

Under Tuluk - Pretty crowded with the underbelly of Tuluki society. A dark and desperate place where the poorest of the poor live, and the Shunned seek shelter.

Good information. Thanks.

- Matt.

QuoteBetween Old Quarter and Scaien Walls to the east - Almost totally deserted. Quite desolate, not even any animals or much plantlife.

I am under the impression that some of this is gardens and fields...
Quote from: Wish

Don't think you're having all the fun...
You know me, I hate everyone!

Wish there was something real!
Wish there was something true!
Wish there was something real,
in this world full of YOU!

Quote from: "psionic fungus"
QuoteBetween Old Quarter and Scaien Walls to the east - Almost totally deserted. Quite desolate, not even any animals or much plantlife.

Malbken Gardens are there, which is an abandoned orchard which I -think- used to be under the purview of House Tenneshi. (I may be misremebering which House is the right one.) It's not thriving, it's not productive, and it's not pretty. Other than that, if you read the room descs, the land is very barren.

Fields that are actually used for farming purposes by another House are farther to the east, in the grasslands. (They are virtual.)

Quote from: "Gimfalisette"
Malbken Gardens are there. It's not thriving, it's not productive, and it's not pretty.
Very funny, Staff members! Is this my only contribution to Arm 1.0?  :(

/derail.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: "psionic fungus"

Malbken Gardens are there, which is an abandoned orchard which I -think- used to be under the purview of House Tenneshi. (I may be misremebering which House is the right one.) It's not thriving, it's not productive, and it's not pretty. Other than that, if you read the room descs, the land is very barren.

Fields that are actually used for farming purposes by another House are farther to the east, in the grasslands. (They are virtual.)

I the vineyards just south of tuluk  were owned by reynolte not sure who now. The Malbken is a fallen house from when old tuluk was destroy and nak occupation.  Also think several areas before new tuluk was built were property of diffrent nobles. Remember like tenneshi scrub and uaptal grove.

For list of old noble houses
http://www.armageddon.org/general/tattoos/slaves.html#fallen

Amish Overlord  8)
i hao I am a sid and karma farmer! Send PM for details!

Quote from: "Malken"
Malbken Gardens are there. It's not thriving, it's not productive, and it's not pretty.
Very funny, Staff members! Is this my only contribution to Arm 1.0?  :(

/derail.

Malbken. With a "b".

Quote from: "amish overlord"I the vineyards just south of tuluk were owned by reynolte not sure who now. The Malbken is a fallen house from when old tuluk was destroy and nak occupation. Also think several areas before new tuluk was built were property of diffrent nobles. Remember like tenneshi scrub and uaptal grove.

Yeah, but after they went kaput, the orchard went to someone else, which I think was Tenneshi. The vineyards are currently "owned", in a sense, by one of the Chosen Houses. Find out IC.

There are descriptions of slaves working in the fields, and soldiers patrolling to make sure there aren't looters.

Doesn't sound wholly abandoned to me.

But, you're always right.  So I'm just going to shut my fucking face.
Quote from: Wish

Don't think you're having all the fun...
You know me, I hate everyone!

Wish there was something real!
Wish there was something true!
Wish there was something real,
in this world full of YOU!

How about in the entire South and North area? In a pre-industrial society you would expect somewhere around 80-90% of the population to be essentially peasants/slaves working in the fields.

It bothers me that flour is no longer available in Allanak because it's so unrealistic. You can't feed any a human population that large on meat. When you go up a trophic level you lose something like 90% of the energy each time. There's a reason hunted meat provides virtually none of the food needs for human civilization.