Dropping link in jail

Started by Ender, October 18, 2007, 03:01:48 PM

This is an issue that I've come across a number of times and felt it was necessary to talk about again.

If you get caught and are thrown in jail and you drop link to avoid interacting with a templar, do not be surprised if you log on permawanted or log on to having to make a new character.

So don't think you can go and murder a bunch of NPCs in a city and get out of punishment because you dropped link once you got caught.

Even dropping link in the jails if you aren't expecting interaction is still bad form.  All jails are quit safe, so you can just log out and log back in later to serve your time.  I know it sucks to have to sit in jail, but dropping link to run down your crim flag is blatant cheating.
man
/mæn/

-noun

1.   A biped, ungrateful.

Truth.

Big bummer for the law-enforcement types, too.

Completely agree. This is extremely frustrating.
QuoteThe shopkeeper says, in sirihish:
     "I am closed, come back at dawn."

You say to the shopkeeper, in sirihish:
     "YOU ^*%$*% WORTHLESS SHIT."

You say, in sirihish:
      "Ahem."

I so agree with this. If you get caught and end up in jail, suck it up and do your time, or log out and log in when you have the time. Don't deprive yourself and others of the RP opportunities that jail time has to offer just because you don't feel like sitting through the time.
Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz"That is, at least, a step in the right direction, even if it is a step off the Shield Wall."

I can understand the desire to not just sit there and stare at your computer screen for two hours.

Try not going linkdead and, if you get really, really bored, doing something else, within earshot of your computer. At least that way you can be beeped.

Suggestions for what to do if you're bored in jail:

contact templar

You suffer from use of the Way.
You contact the overworked, harried PC templar with the Way.

psi Hey templar, I was just sitting here in jail and wondering when I can get out? I swear I'm totally innocent.

2. Experiment to see if cockroaches are craftable into anything.

3. Arrange cockroaches from 1 to many with ldescs such as: Affixed to the floor with feces, ~ are arranged in a crude representation of mating gith.

4. React to the room emotes.

5. Yell at the jailer.

6. Try to break out.

7. Way your friends up and try to convince them to get hauled to jail too, to keep you company.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

This thread just became archive-worthy.

Let's all jump in on ideas of what to do in jail?

:arrow: As a 'rinthi, do a solo-emote liking jail. After all, the place is relatively clean, has a decent food supply, and is safe enough to sleep in. Who says going to jail is bad?

:arrow: contact (powerful PC of some sort)
You contact the evil, dripping nilazi-in-disguise with the Way.

You send to the evil, dripping nilazi-in disguise, over the Way:
"Hey, if you bust me out of these jails, I'll rat out all the secrets about Lord Templar Tightpants."

:arrow: Go insane. If you're getting bored with just two hours of nothing to do, think of how your character must feel.

:arrow: Develop strange fetishes.

:arrow: Use the jail time as a break in an otherwise busy play period. Enter (or write) that bio you should have. Use thinks to flesh out your character. Spread some news or pick up information with contact.

If you're being shifty and know you may end up spending some time in a cell (these things -usually- don't happen by accident), keep a pouch of crafting supplies handy.

Compose a suck-up ditty for whatever templar may take pity on you (you hope).

Count the number of roaches you can eat before getting full.

Two thumbs up on the bio idea.
Quote from: manonfire on November 04, 2013, 08:11:36 AM
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

I thought that all timers, including wanted, stop when you go linkdead. Cutting link in jail sucks; I could understand perhaps if it wasn't a quit room and you had to leave, but if you've become wanted then you accept the consequences. It's not very harsh, and you probably won't get killed unless you messed up on a grand scale. Play your cards right and you should usually be able to survive a trip to jail unless you're there for murdering somebody important.

I think a lot of the link-cutters are new players. They might have become wanted for attacking some random NPC or picking leaves from the Highlord's trees. Then they go to jail, and since they have no idea how long they'll be there they just end up closing their client after half an hour or whatever. Maybe incarcerated characters who are still on their grace timer should receive a prompt explaining that the jail will usually only keep them for an in-game day.

I would hope that any templars (or other authority-types with jail access) would contact staff before killing a linkdead PC in a jail cell.

We can often make determinations about a player's link that you guys can't.

1. Kruth Cards
2. Dice

Hours of jail time fun.

I also find jail a really great place to work on my bios.

Don't forget Tek's Tower!
Quote from: Wish

Don't think you're having all the fun...
You know me, I hate everyone!

Wish there was something real!
Wish there was something true!
Wish there was something real,
in this world full of YOU!

I agree going LD in the jail is -bad-.

On the other side, my connection once went off in a middle of torturing. I'd be really said if my char died because of it. So, dear templars, pretty please, if you see a LD char, perma-wanted curse would be much nicer than outright killing a character. Yeah? I'd enjoy being killed while on much more than being killed while LD. :D

I think multiple commoners should be thrown in the jail together.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Quote from: "Maybe42or54"I think multiple commoners should be thrown in the jail together.
We need NPCs in the jail who threaten you for your boots.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: "Troicha"This thread just became archive-worthy.

Let's all jump in on ideas of what to do in jail?

:arrow: Go insane. If you're getting bored with just two hours of nothing to do, think of how your character must feel.

I envision the following:

You are Romun, a Templar of the Arm of the Dragon.

>emote pushes through the compound, approaching the thick door of the jail with a faint scowl.
The bald, leather skinned templar pushes through the compound, approaching the thick door of the jail with a faint scowl.

>think Well, let's see what today's catch has brought us...
You think, "Well, let's see what today's catch has brought us..."

>open door
Ok.

>east
You walk east.

Dirty Jail [W]
The tall, muscular man sits here, at a square drawn in the dust.
The corpse of a dead cockaroach sits here, propped up before the dusty square.
The corpse of a rat sits here, propped up before the dusty square.

The tall, muscular man looks up from his spot at the dusty square, his lips parting slightly as he offers a broad smile and lifts his hand in a genial wave toward you.

Gesturing toward an empty spot at the dusty square drawn on the floor, the tall, muscular man says to you, in sirihish:
  "I'm so glad you came!  You're just in time for tea and one of Reginald's abosolutely -famous- stories..."

Wrinkling his nose at the sight of the soldiers, the tall, muscular man says, in sirihish:
  "I'm afraid your friends will have to stand, as I simply wasn't planning on entertaining so many."

The tall, muscular man gestures helplessly toward a rather meager square drawn in the dust of the floor, then taps his head in an absentminded gesture.

Winking toward you, the tall, muscular man says, in sirihish:
  "Now, you were saying Reginald?

The tall, muscular man shifts his rapt attention to the corpse of a rat sitting to his left.

-LoD

Quote from: "Maybe42or54"I think multiple commoners should be thrown in the jail together.

The only thing you really need for this to happen is more PCs getting thrown in jail. Like I said, invite your friends! :D

And while you're in there, since you're already crim flagged, brawl it up! (Room echoes reflect fighting in nearby cells, so it's got to be permissible.)

Whoever gets knocked out first, obviously their stuff is forfeit. There's no honor amongst thieves.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

More ideas please? I always get bored in jail.

I think the inspiration for going LD when arrested is that the grind for getting a thief-type character to a usable level is extremely harsh, and if some templar takes all your money away early on, you're pretty well fucked and might as well reroll.  People value their time, and as such, are more than willing to not wait however many minutes or hours to get fucked.  Maybe some more transparency on what does and doesn't trigger crimcode would encourage these people to feel more like they earned the consequences of their actions.

Some players try to get around this situation already by grinding their skills in the dead hours of the night, but there's always that one off-peak templar that goes and ruins it for them.

Avoiding jail is as simple as only doing the deed at night when no NPC soldiers are in adjacent rooms. I don't really have much sympathy for people who get caught. That said, I've been caught many, many, many times.

December 06, 2015, 04:25:40 PM #20 Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 04:29:14 PM by The Silence of the Erdlus
I once left the room (client still on) to go walk the dog because I didn't expect a templar at that time of day and wasn't feeling inspired for solo rp. I had to explain myself to staff later. BE GOOD CHILDREN

To be completely honest, I thought it was a non-issue.

Bring enough supplies to craft weapons, poison, and possibly magickal shit (bonus if you are a rogue)
Cast mon fireball whenever the door opens.
LOADS OF FUN!

Quote from: Jihelu on December 06, 2015, 05:08:39 PM
Bring enough supplies to craft weapons, poison, and possibly magickal shit (bonus if you are a rogue)
LOADS OF FUN!

Some day, I want to have materials for some supra-awesome knife, on an assassin character with knife making who just outright obliterates the Templar's guard as soon as they walk in. I mean I'd die soon after, if I didn't get INSTANTLY offered a job.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Riev on December 06, 2015, 05:29:01 PM
LOADS OF FUN!

Some day, I want to have materials for some supra-awesome knife, on an assassin character with knife making who just outright obliterates the Templar's guard as soon as they walk in. I mean I'd die soon after, if I didn't get INSTANTLY offered a job.

The hell are you talking about?
You'll kill both of them before they can react silly.
>Enter cell

The commically tall templar and guard walk in.

Templar says "Where did that prisoner go"

Backstab guard
Backstab templar

Steal key, walk out. Ez.

Quote from: Jihelu on December 06, 2015, 05:30:43 PM

Find out IC. ;)

Though, related to the topic... so few people end up in jail. Seriously. And there isn't always a PC on to interact (at least in Allanak, non-Templars can interact and talk to you, which is a plus).

Getting jailed is much more of an ooc inconvenience than anything, but I'll be damned if my super-hungry PC didn't fail-steal on someone just to go to jail and get free handouts.

This is why if the jails were more of an open holding cell on Meleths they would fucking rock. Give people the chance to jeer and shout and make fun of them. Have a rotten-petoch seller nearby.

IC reason being the soldiers drop criminals off so that a Templars can come by and sort out what the sentencing will be. Depending on that they then take them to the real dungeons for interrogation or whatever else.

Bonus added benefit of moving the jail closer to the criminals.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on December 06, 2015, 06:03:57 PM
This is why if the jails were more of an open holding cell on Meleths they would fucking rock. Give people the chance to jeer and shout and make fun of them. Have a rotten-petoch seller nearby.

IC reason being the soldiers drop criminals off so that a Templars can come by and sort out what the sentencing will be. Depending on that they then take them to the real dungeons for interrogation or whatever else.

I'm... really behind this idea. Allanak is definitely public scrutiny and humiliation in an outward manner. It would give burglars/lock pickers the opportunity to try and "break" people out of the jails, etc.

Quote from: Riev on December 06, 2015, 08:09:44 PM
Quote from: RogueGunslinger on December 06, 2015, 06:03:57 PM

I'm... really behind this idea. Allanak is definitely public scrutiny and humiliation in an outward manner. It would give burglars/lock pickers the opportunity to try and "break" people out of the jails, etc.
Blech, public scrutiny should be good, but it'd be a shit system if you could get 'broken out' in that manner, when some exist already, through coercion, bribery, corruption or magick.

No thats fair, I just thought it an interesting idea. Public Scrutiny is still a great thing, if you could "look cage" and "look 2.cage" or something.

Yeah it is less effective, but the RP opportunities!
Backstab is actually the only dialog option an assassin has.

Quote from: Riev on December 06, 2015, 05:29:01 PM
LOADS OF FUN!

[/quote

The hell are you talking about?
You'll kill both of them before they can react silly.
>Enter cell

The commically tall templar and guard walk in.

Backstab guard
Backstab templar

Steal key, walk out. Ez.

In my experience, attempting to hide in the pitch black cell, alone, brings in the light brigade, charging.  >:(

One time I got thrown in jail, like at the worse time.

I had to pee really bad.

So I went to the little muggers room and forgot to use "gone'. 

To be honest I got side track during that little 12am adventure and when I Got back to the keyboard I had a whole two pages worth of a templar insulting and questioning me before they gave up.

Sorry about that.

I tried to contact templar back, but they had logged off.

Logged back on a later time, got tortured and exiled.  10 out of 10.

Quote from: Riev on December 06, 2015, 05:35:40 PM

Find out IC. ;)

Though, related to the topic... so few people end up in jail. Seriously. And there isn't always a PC on to interact (at least in Allanak, non-Templars can interact and talk to you, which is a plus).

Getting jailed is much more of an ooc inconvenience than anything, but I'll be damned if my super-hungry PC didn't fail-steal on someone just to go to jail and get free handouts.

I disagree. Even if there isn't a Templar around, it still helps RP. There is a log of your arrest, templars read this log. So while sure, as the thief it is boring to sit there for so long. But it has, on many occasions, brought me the thief, more rp.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

December 25, 2015, 09:25:13 PM #33 Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 07:14:16 AM by Erythil
Quote from: Fredd on December 25, 2015, 04:15:26 PM
Quote from: Riev on December 06, 2015, 05:35:40 PM

Find out IC. ;)

I disagree. Even if there isn't a Templar around, it still helps RP. There is a log of your arrest, templars read this log. So while sure, as the thief it is boring to sit there for so long. But it has, on many occasions, brought me the thief, more rp.

Are you certain such a log actually exists?  I'm fairly certain one does not.

There is no log. Just a message at the time of jailing.