Roleplaying Peeves

Started by Is Friday, October 14, 2007, 04:53:01 PM

Quote from: Throttle on December 06, 2007, 10:39:10 PM
QuoteIn the Gaj? Perfectly acceptable.

You really think that the tavern's owner doesn't care at all when people smash his utensils?

Straw man. Tsk Tsk.

Anyway, I think the occasional drunken hurling of a clay mug is commonplace in the Gaj. I'm guilty of doing it, though most times my emotes are something like..

junk shotglass (slamming it atop the bar with a *thwap!*)

junk bottle (passing it off to a circulating waitress)

..or whatever. If my character is intoxicated, he isn't going to show the slightest bit of concern for some piece of shit clay mug. He's drunk, and the material world will pay the price.

If you honestly have so much of a problem with this, why don't you bring it up IC, and see what happens?

Heh...cleaning...Yes...he spits in them or cleans them in an armpit...I don't think he is all that worried.

Also...As Manonfire said...Bring it up IC and see what happens.

A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

You're right, all taverns are places of business -- there to turn a prophet and would get pissed at people causing too much distraction/ damage.  But like all 'rules' on Zanathas, it depends on whose breaking the rules.

However, if Throttle, you're posting about one particular IC happening  I don't think that's fair.
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

Quote from: My 2 sids on December 07, 2007, 10:02:24 AM
You're right, all taverns are places of business -- there to turn a prophet and would get pissed at people causing too much distraction/ damage.  But like all 'rules' on Zanathas, it depends on whose breaking the rules.

However, if Throttle, you're posting about one particular IC happening  I don't think that's fair.

Prophets are turned to feed the Templarate's insatiable lust for public execution.

Take a look at some of the ambient echoes in the rowdier taverns. I honestly don't think barkeeps who have to deal with muls breaking arms and people knocking whole tables over and people dunkenly barfing all over customers are going to care quite as much about shoddy ceramics.

And also, I can't speak for everybody, but sometimes when I use the 'junk' command, I'm not actually RPing destroying the item in question, merely permanently removing it from my PC's sphere of interaction.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Quote from: Adiadochokinesis on December 07, 2007, 10:19:32 AM

Prophets are turned to feed the Templarate's insatiable lust for public execution.

I see what you did there.

Quote from: Ghost on December 06, 2007, 10:58:29 PM
The booze is too expensive.  I think the cup's price is included in it.

I think so too.  They don't care if you take the cups home with you and put them in your own cupboards.  Which makes it pretty hard on crafters trying to sell cups they have made.   ;D  This is probably the explanation for most shops refusing to buy containers, otherwise people would steal cups from the bar and sell them at shops. 

It would be cool if part of the price was considered a "deposit" on the container.  Then you could sell the cup back for a few coins.  Everybody wins!
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

OOOO!!!

That is my single -greatest- peeve! You can not sell silk clothes that are containers!!! WTF????

Seriously, in the next game, containers need to be a state of an item, not an item type.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on December 08, 2007, 06:44:42 PM
Seriously, in the next game, containers need to be a state of an item, not an item type.
Ditto this one.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: Angela Christine on December 08, 2007, 05:46:06 PM

It would be cool if part of the price was considered a "deposit" on the container.  Then you could sell the cup back for a few coins.  Everybody wins!

That's a very cool idea!!

<this space for rent>

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on December 08, 2007, 06:44:42 PMSeriously, in the next game, containers need to be a state of an item, not an item type.

Absolutely.  And one that can be changed by a skilled enough crafter, I hope.  The ability to add a tiny pocket to any appropriate item would be nice.

Morrolan
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Biggest peeve of Master Qzzrbl....: Creating a character and getting it accepted, but then realizing a few days later that you don't really like him that much.   >_<

The Gaj is a lower-class establishment, not a monkey cage. You really think that the tavern's owner doesn't care at all when people smash his utensils? Not to mention the trouble that someone literally hurling bottles and mugs around would cause. Glass and clay is not free. Show me a real life tavern any place or time in the world that happily endorses the meaningless destruction of their property.

Having seen an imm animate the barkeep at the Gaj to bitch someone out over this, I agree with Throttle.
Quote from: H. L.  MenckenEvery normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Dying in a really stupid way...oh andGrammar. I hat it when people don't use full stops in their speech GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR >:( >:(
A horde of Inix turn and stampede straight at you....KRATH!

People who are obviously unable to use punctuation at the end of their says and tells.

People who obviouslty either didn't read docs at all or decided not to follow them - and who are annoyed if there are consequences to their decision.

People who ignore dangerously-looking things just because they OOCly know it's not going to hurt them.

I HATE having my PC suffer for OOC reasons. Fuck.

Sorry, letting off some steam.

A minor peeve, but it has always bothered me that a lot of players avoid using conjuctions and adverbs in emotes. There's some sort of phobia against the word 'and', resulting in a lot of odd emotes along the lines of "the man walks through the door, dusting himself off, making his way to the bar, taking a seat". Less commas, more flow!
Telling the Truth Where Others Hush.

Quote from: Throttle on January 04, 2008, 09:18:44 AM
A minor peeve, but it has always bothered me that a lot of players avoid using conjuctions and adverbs in emotes. There's some sort of phobia against the word 'and', resulting in a lot of odd emotes along the lines of "the man walks through the door, dusting himself off, making his way to the bar, taking a seat". Less commas, more flow!

Command emotes force us to use that style, though.  I suspect many of us simply get too used to it and do it when we don't have to.  (I'd have to review my logs to see if I have that same problem or not, but I don't think I do so much with emotes)

Quote from: manonfire on December 07, 2007, 05:19:23 PM
Quote from: Adiadochokinesis on December 07, 2007, 10:19:32 AM

I see what you did there.

LOL gez...  Profit :D

<this space for rent>

I have no idea what you are talking about, Throttle. People actually do that?

I see a -lot- of missed punctuation, particularly with the use of commas, but I have never really notice the phobia of adverbs and conjunctions.

January 04, 2008, 10:51:23 AM #270 Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 10:54:18 AM by Throttle
Well, how often do you see "the guy walks to the bar, taking a seat" compared to "the guy walks to the bar and takes a seat" in the game? I know that I've seen the former a hundred times more often. I have noticed it frequently and wondered why almost everybody chooses to break a two-action emote up with a comma instead of "and". In real life, would you say "so I walked into the bar, taking a seat" or "I walked into the bar and took a seat"? You could go either way, they're both technically correct, but for some reason this kind of emote template has evolved where multi-action emotes are almost always broken up with commas instead of adverbs and conjunctions.

The exception is 'as', which is sometimes used with grotesque frequency and often several times in the same emote.
Telling the Truth Where Others Hush.

Like I said, the "template" likely comes from command emotes.

This is almost off-topic, but the participial emoting actually tickles my fancy. That's the way Greek works (or, more accurately, worked); pearls on a string, not a line.

I get you, Throttle. If you read a book, though, you will often find pages upon pages in that exact style. That said, I can agree that sometimes, the lack of adverbs and conjunctions really screw an emote big-time.

Quote from: Mood on December 09, 2007, 09:39:00 PM

The Gaj is a lower-class establishment, not a monkey cage. You really think that the tavern's owner doesn't care at all when people smash his utensils? Not to mention the trouble that someone literally hurling bottles and mugs around would cause. Glass and clay is not free. Show me a real life tavern any place or time in the world that happily endorses the meaningless destruction of their property.

Having seen an imm animate the barkeep at the Gaj to bitch someone out over this, I agree with Throttle.

Show me a real life bar stuffed with mercenaries armed to the teeth. Come on! There's vNPCs constantly being sick all over the place, players using the brawl code to hurl each other into tables, lob bottles at each other and every so often somebody actually gets killed on the premises.

I think it's perfectly fine for the barkeeper to get pissed off though, depending on the context. I'm sure members of the miltia and anyone who generally looks dangerous might get away with it.