Roleplaying Peeves

Started by Is Friday, October 14, 2007, 04:53:01 PM

Quote from: ale six on November 30, 2007, 01:04:11 AM
It'd been said a bunch of times, but:

CAPITALISE, PUNCTUATE, and SPELL WORDS CORRECTLY.

plz plz plz k thx

Especially the people who will punctuate with apostrophes and will capitalise, but for some reason NEVER PUT PUNCTUATION AT THE END OF THEIR SAYS/TELLS.

There's typos, there's not knowing English well, and then there's just plain laziness.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Quote from: Maybe42or54 on November 29, 2007, 10:11:36 PMWhen someone makes a very simple spelling error, like Taht, or mroe. Then they OOC "Oopsies, I meant more/that." And they do it a lot. It isn't a real serious peeve, but it irks me. I make a lot of mistakes, but two wrongs don't make a right.
To me, the least jarring way to fix a mistake is to just repeat the command with the error fixed.  And yeah, even that is *not* worth doing for simple typsos.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

I'm not really sure these count as RPing peeves. I don't get annoyed by anybodies actual RP, everyone is different, and I accept them as they are, as long as they are trying.

1. When imms (on any mud) dictate the player's RP. ie No, your character wouldn't do that, or that's not how people act in this world. It's RP, that means we should be able to do what we want, within reason of course.

2. What I -really- don't like is when people -don't- RP.  I guess that's actually more a code use peeve though. Like when you're say, leaning against a door and another person opens the door and runs out to escape IC consequences.

Spelling and grammar issues can break up the pace of RP a bit, but it doesn't really bother me. People have different levels of skill in these departments, even among native english speakers. If the grammar is so bad that I can barely understand what they're saying, and it's really breaking up the RP, I just shift my perspective and pretend they grew up speaking a different language(in my own head, not by dictating to them that they did) and that makes it easier for me to deal with.

People who ignore the world outside of PC-to-PC interaction.

Please don't walk through the bazaar on fire just because you won't get crimflagged.

Please don't take your delf to Allanak to mine and sell obsidian just because you're broke.

There are always exceptions to the rules, but there are rules for a reason. Too many exceptions and the documentation and culture behind the game becomes trivial.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Quote from: morrigan on November 30, 2007, 08:05:54 AMLike when you're say, leaning against a door and another person opens the door and runs out to escape IC consequences.

I would consider this to be in the same class as power emoting. Do you judge it to be fair if, for example, I emote that my PC walks up behind yours and strangles yours to unconsciousness? It's the same thing. Taking away a PC's options with an emote, whether it's emoting leaning against a door or more obviously just emoting them dead.
Lunch makes me happy.

>guard west

emote leans against the door.

You block victim from opening the western door.

versus

emote leans against the door.

Victim opens the door.

Victim runs west.

Here is where command emotes for everything would be useful, i.e.

guard west (leaning against the door)

(victim)

open door (dashing forward and attempting to shoulder %guard aside)

There's a problem, though, where the guard command seems to do next to nothing against a running character if you don't actually have the guard skill. And only one guild and one subguild begins with that skill.
Telling the Truth Where Others Hush.

Quote from: Malken on October 14, 2007, 07:12:09 PM
Biggest pet peeve: Anything related to trying to guess which class my character is. Like Templars asking my character to lead a patrol through a sandstorm to see if I'm really a ranger or people suddenly talking to me in cavilish when I mention that I'm a trader to see if I'm a 'merchant'.

There we go.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

Quote from: Throttle on November 30, 2007, 07:26:24 PM
There's a problem, though, where the guard command seems to do next to nothing against a running character if you don't actually have the guard skill. And only one guild and one subguild begins with that skill.

Ever try to stop a running person who fears for their life?

Not easy.

Quote from: Malken on October 14, 2007, 07:12:09 PM
Biggest pet peeve: Anything related to trying to guess which class my character is. Like Templars asking my character to lead a patrol through a sandstorm to see if I'm really a ranger or people suddenly talking to me in cavilish when I mention that I'm a trader to see if I'm a 'merchant'.

The thing here is that they might not be guild-fishing, though. If I have an underling that said he was an expert hunter when he joined up and a sandstorm crops up, my PC's first thought isn't going to be "time so see if that PC is REALLY a ranger!!" It's going to be "Fuck, who's going to get us out of this? Wonder if that guy who proclaimed he was an expert hunter is outdoorsy enough."

If someone claims to be a merchant and I try talking to them in the merchant's tongue, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect them to be able to reply. If someone claims to be an outdoorsman and I expect them to do something city-folk can't, I don't think it's unreasonable - especially not to hope that they can. If someone claims to be a master assassin, I tend to hope they know something about poisons. These are not so much "guild fishes" as they are "things that make sense for the proclamations the character is making."

As Fathi listed as one of her peeves earlier -- people that automatically make the worst assumptions in regards to someone else's roleplay.

Quote from: Only He Stands There on December 01, 2007, 02:18:00 AM
If someone claims to be a merchant and I try talking to them in the merchant's tongue, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect them to be able to reply. If someone claims to be an outdoorsman and I expect them to do something city-folk can't, I don't think it's unreasonable - especially not to hope that they can. If someone claims to be a master assassin, I tend to hope they know something about poisons. These are not so much "guild fishes" as they are "things that make sense for the proclamations the character is making."

The trouble is, we assume that these skills are normal for a certain job because they are listed as belonging to the class with the same or similar name.  An assassin can go their entire career without using poisons, especially if the character is using the warrior class.

So, we have the standard class skill lists  influencing what skills a certain profession is supposed to have, and that just seems a little off.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Gotta roll with OHST on this one. The constant cry of guild-sniffing is so often simply us expecting something of a person who says he is something.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on December 01, 2007, 11:05:14 AM
Gotta roll with OHST on this one. The constant cry of guild-sniffing is so often simply us expecting something of a person who says he is something.

With a class system you've got to get used to guild sniffing, it'll happen.  As long as people do it elegantly and work it into the game so that it's not jarring, I have no problem with it.  Much like sdesc sniffing, if you can work it into prose and not make it seem ooc then I can swing that way.

But this is a thread about peeves so I'm not sure why I'm rationalizing things.
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

Cause its one of your peeves?
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

I like where you're going with this!   ;D

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

RPing badassness when the situation doesn't allow badassness.

Magicker acceptance raising.

Racism reducing without sufficient ic reasons to support.
Quote from: Majikal on August 20, 2009, 05:53:09 PM

Running after Carru, catching them, then eating them while they are still breathing is a Red Fang's version of 'fast food'.

People who, after finishing a drink in a tavern, emote destroying their bottles or mugs (often by casually throwing them around the tavern) and then act like it's a perfectly normal and rational thing to do.

Quote from: Throttle on December 06, 2007, 10:04:28 PM
People who, after finishing a drink in a tavern, emote destroying their bottles or mugs (often by casually throwing them around the tavern) and then act like it's a perfectly normal and rational thing to do.

In the Gaj? Perfectly acceptable. I'd raise an eyebrow if it were the Trader's.

QuoteIn the Gaj? Perfectly acceptable.

The Gaj is a lower-class establishment, not a monkey cage. You really think that the tavern's owner doesn't care at all when people smash his utensils? Not to mention the trouble that someone literally hurling bottles and mugs around would cause. Glass and clay is not free. Show me a real life tavern any place or time in the world that happily endorses the meaningless destruction of their property.

Gonna hafta agree with manonfire here. The Gaj is home of regular barfights. The bartender already sold you his clay bottle/mug/whatever, and if you were to chuck it at the elf around the corner - well, that's the militia's problem, or more likely, the elf's.

Shit, it is like 56 'sid for some whiskey. He's happy I don't bop him one for that.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Let's all get along:

It's a shitty dive bar:  Some amount of broken glassware is to be expected, they turn a blind eye.
It's a shitty dive bar:  Sometimes when you break the glassware they break your nose and toss you out on the street.

It's not fair, it's not predictable, it's not nice. Play it as you will. ;)

I agree with Throttle.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

December 06, 2007, 10:55:40 PM #248 Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 10:57:17 PM by Throttle
Quote from: Only He Stands There on December 06, 2007, 10:45:07 PM
Gonna hafta agree with manonfire here. The Gaj is home of regular barfights. The bartender already sold you his clay bottle/mug/whatever, and if you were to chuck it at the elf around the corner - well, that's the militia's problem, or more likely, the elf's.

Well, there are echoes of the bartender cleaning mugs and stuff, I honestly doubt that the utensils are considered completely disposable. He would go through thousands of mugs, plates, bottles and shot-glasses every day, each of them costing him at least a few 'sid each. Sure there are brawls; I don't think he's overly fond of them, but he'll probably accept it because it's more or less inevitable, and because many of the patrons wouldn't come if it wasn't allowed. That's not at all the same as mindlessly vandalizing the containers that he lets the patrons use. I cringe every time I see somebody emoting how they're throwing their empty mug over their shoulder without a glance. Try to imagine what the place would look like if that practice was truly "perfectly acceptable". It's another example of the blatant disregard for the virtual world that some of us consider a problem.

The booze is too expensive.  I think the cup's price is included in it. And if it is included, I don't think the bartender gives two shits about whose head it is smashed into afterwards.
some of my posts are serious stuff