Death And IM

Started by Is Friday, October 04, 2007, 01:15:44 PM

If/When is it okay to tell people over IM about your PC's death?

Immediately!
4 (7.4%)
After a while, sparing really in depth details.
21 (38.9%)
Never, ever.
17 (31.5%)
Situation depending, explain.
12 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Voting closed: October 04, 2007, 01:15:44 PM

Quote from: "Malken"3/4 of the players do it in one way or another. The ones that don't are not on the GDB and you never hear about them. Good thing we have them, though.

Not true.  I'm on the GDB and I don't do any of that.
So if you're tired of the same old story
Oh, turn some pages. - "Roll with the Changes," REO Speedwagon

Quote from: "Angela Christine"
I don't think 3/4 of players work out roleplay on AIM, email, IRQ, or other out of game means.  I'd expect it to be less than half, and most of those to be only occasional offenders.  I guess there is no way to be sure though.
Exaggerating stuff is part of my boyish charm  8)
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

The only roleplay I've ever organized via IM was a shared character history for a pair of siblings.  Some things it makes sense to hammer out OOCly if you're already playing with someone.
"Last night a moth came to my bed
and filled my tired weary head
with horrid tales of you, I can't believe it's true.
But then the lampshade smiled at me -
It said believe, it said believe.
I want you to know it's nothing personal."

The Chosen

I don't associate with anyone outside of the Armageddon world. In fact, I pretty much segregate myself from anyone else who uses the internut as a communication source.

Quote from: "Forest Junkie"
Quote from: "spawnloser"That's OOC recruiting for a clan that shouldn't be OOCly recruited for.
I remember when you courted me to make a merchant for you.  :twisted:
When was that?  If it was one of the only times I remember recommending to people to make merchants, it was for tribes which OOC recruiting is allowed for... or for a family role, where I said that the occupation was merchant, but guild was open for the other player to pick.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

My last character to die was a Blackmoon mul before Tuluk was liberated. Everything else has been stored or retired. Just thought I'd share to ruin a few plots.
Anonymous:  I don't get why magickers are so amazingly powerful in Arm.

Anonymous:  I mean... the concept of making one class completely dominating, and able to crush any other class after 5 days of power-playing, seems ridiculous to me.

So, wait?  Masha didn't die?!
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

I didn't vote.  Isn't it fun though, that this sort of thing can even be discussed these days?  It's like I feel like I'm five years old and my parents have accidentally taking a large dose of Seconal, leaving me temporarily in charge of the house.
lease don't call me a bot.  It hurts my feelings.  It's not my fault that I like to advertise a product which is guaranteed to help you satisfy your wife!!

I do not us IM services anymore, mostly directly due to situations like this.

It is far to tempting for people to discuss IC events over IM for me to justify using it to communicate with other players.

ICly if a character my character knows has not been seen or heard from in over a game month, my character typically assumes the worst, unless this is normal behavior from said missing character.

If they show up eventually, then so much the better and there is joy-joy (or resurrected plotting by my character to make sure they disappear permanently...if it was someone my character was HOPING was dead for some reason). hehehehe
:twisted:
-Naatok the Naughty Monkey

My state of mind an inferno. This mind, which cannot comprehend. A torment to my conscience,
my objectives lost in frozen shades. Engraved, the scars of time, yet never healed.  But still, the spark of hope does never rest.

I don't IM with any of you, I guess i never got over the 'All Arm players are assholes' things back when i joined. :twisted: The most i've ever done is message through the GDB, usually discussing RP meeting times. However I even use different GDB handles for clan and characters then i use for regular posting.

In all seriousness IMing does ruin things such as plots, its just to tempting not to talk about it with someone even if you really try hard not to give away what you think is an important detail. It also probably gives unfair advantages to those who do, especially with Imm...I mean i still have to wait a day to get a important question answered from an Imm. I also hear there is this IRC channel people go out and gossip in aswell.  :?

However its not something i'm completely concerned with for two reason. First off its something thats not going away, people are people, they want to meet , make friends with others in the community OOCly and eventually talk about their characters. This is an understandable if not a bit of annoying fact. Secondly if a person was really concerned about IMing ruining a plot they wouldn't do it at all like i do. Hey its less fustration and irritation for me not knowing two piss ants are talking about a plot i'm involved in. I'll let the imm worry about their ooc knowledge effecting their IC play.

Anyways it is understandable that people will continue IMing, i'm sure alot of people have made good friends through the Arm. community. Those relationships are probably more valuable to them then the occasional ruined plot.

Personally, I value my entertainment and plots more. :twisted: