City/wilderness skills and branching

Started by Coat of Arms, September 23, 2007, 05:07:23 PM

What happens if you make a character of a guild who can branch the wilderness version of a skill, and pick a subguild that begins with the city version of that skill? Let's say I've made a ranger/thief; rangers can branch wilderness sneak, but the thief subguild begins with city sneak.

Will my character's sneak skill be converted to wilderness or a kind of "global" sneak skill due to being a ranger? Is it possible to have both versions of the skill at the same time?

Will I have city-sneak until the skill that wilderness-sneak branches from is high enough to branch, at which point my city-sneak becomes wilderness-sneak or both?

Will I be forever stuck with city-sneak?

Something else?

I believe that your guild is dominant, if you are a Ranger/Thief you will start with the wilderness version, not the city version.

I'd really like to see Sneak, Hide and Hunt broken up into completely separate versions with separate names for A2, so that having both is possible.  That way you could be a generally sneaky person if you wanted to, someone who is sneaky wherever they go, like a ninja.  

Sneak 2 - Creep, pad, scout, prowl, pussyfoot, slink, skulk

Hide 2 - Lurk, conceal, cover, camouflage

Hunt 2 - Track, scout, stalk, trail
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Easy way to check, if you try sneaking outdoors and see if you get the 'your not indoors but you try anyways' message. Same works for the other way around
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
     -Douglas Adams

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
     -Douglas Adams

Doesn't echo for sneaking. You need to use the 'hide' command.

So I'm not sure that helps him.

Quote from: "Angela Christine"Truth
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: "Angela Christine"I believe that your guild is dominant, if you are a Ranger/Thief you will start with the wilderness version, not the city version.

You cannot have both versions, and your main guild (whether it is classified as an "outdoors" or "city" class), always determines which version you have.

Seeker
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

I can say from observation that someone with wilderness sneak -can- sneak successfully in the city, and someone with city sneak -can- sneak successfully in the wilderness. The level of success, I don't know about, and it could be that one branches the other or expands to an "overall sneak" if it's a main class skill (since it doesn't specify which sneak you have on your skills list).

If that's a fluke, it's one I notice some folks are pretty good at. I haven't seen enough of this to notice that these people are equally good at both, but only that they -can- do their "non-main" one with some success.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: "Lizzie"I can say from observation that someone with wilderness sneak -can- sneak successfully in the city, and someone with city sneak -can- sneak successfully in the wilderness. The level of success, I don't know about, and it could be that one branches the other or expands to an "overall sneak" if it's a main class skill (since it doesn't specify which sneak you have on your skills list).

If that's a fluke, it's one I notice some folks are pretty good at. I haven't seen enough of this to notice that these people are equally good at both, but only that they -can- do their "non-main" one with some success.

It's not a fluke, from what I can tell, as I've witnessed it for going on over a year with certain characters. Fairly certain if it wasn't meant to be so, someone would have changed it by now.

I don't think I'd say I've seen anyone that's equally good at both wilderness and city sneak/hide, but after taking into account very high skill levels in one form of stealth, encumbrance of next to nothing, and various bits of gear that provide hellacious sneak/hide bonuses, I've seen more than one ranger that was pretty much a ninja both inside the walls and out.

In my experience, this tends to apply to hide moreso than to sneak, however.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

I believe that having the other versions helps, but is not nearly as good as having the correct version.  

If for no other reason than if you don't have it on your skill list at all, Hunt and Hide are nearly impossible to use at all because of the massive skill delay.  The skill delay for unskilled attempts is many minutes.  Enter the command, go to the bathroom, go make yourself a cup of coffee and a snack, feed the dog, and maybe the delay will be over.   :P
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins