Training in Allanak

Started by Dynnage, September 20, 2007, 05:43:36 PM

I'm in Allanak, and I need to know of a way to train my character's fighting skills. Nothing seems to be outside the city, and I don't want to wander off too far. What should I do?
Dynnage
Shh! The cow is sleeping!

Join a clan.
Quote from: H. L.  MenckenEvery normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Mood's suggestion is the #1 best solution for keeping your character alive, training any and all skills, and actually getting involved in roleplay.

In fact, for a new player...there really is no other good solution.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Well, he's more of an assassin, not a mercenary. Would the T'zai Byn still accept him, or what kind of guild would?
Dynnage

No clan recruiter of a clan that takes fighters for the purpose of training them up as soldiers or hunters is going to ask you outright what kind of fighting your character does. (Or at least, they shouldn't: It's called "guild fishing," and it's regarded as very wrong.) Just present your character as a fighting type, regardless of guild (you could get into the Byn with a merchant, even!), and go from there. Don't tell them you can backstab, don't say anything other than that you want to learn to fight, or you want to be a dirty merc or something along those lines.

Okay, thanks!
Dynnage

You'll most likely have to join a clan for training. Sometimes unaffiliated characters group up for some sparring, but the best way would be to join a clan that utilizes either hunters or actual men-at-arms. Hunting won't be a good idea around Allanak as a newbie assassin, and you shouldn't go around slaughtering random NPCs in the city.

You probably shouldn't tell your potential employer that you're an assassin. If your character doesn't have any training then they're not much of an actual assassin yet, more like someone with the talent and interests to potentially become one. Say that you're looking for work (or training if it's the Byn), and perhaps hint that your character isn't a particularly good fighter.

When you're in a clan, training your assassination skills won't be easy. You'll probably see very few chances to practice backstab, poisons can be hard to get, and you're gonna have to train for a long, long time before your ordinary combat abilities are good enough for you to be any kind of danger. Accept that and face that assassins require either 6+ RL months or a good deal of powergaming/twinking before they start becoming deadly.

Clans that use hunters:
House Kadius
House Salarr

Clans that use soldiers and guards:
The T'zai Byn
Any law enforcement clan (Allanaki militia, Sun Legion, House Kurac)
Noble Houses, although I think many of their guard clans have been closed

I agree with Coat of Arms on most things...

...but the one thing I have to vocally disagree with is this:
Quote from: "Coat of Arms"Accept that and face that assassins require either 6+ RL months or a good deal of powergaming/twinking before they start becoming deadly.
You can become quite deadly without twinking and without it taking that long... but it does take some work and attentive concern for your character's actions and motivations.

Good luck.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Spawn beat me to it....

DAMM YOU....DAMM YOU TO HECK!

Assassin is the Thinking man/womans PC.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

And when you are in the clan and end up sparring and discussing fighting techniques, just find ways to tell them about what you can do or what you are good at without just blurting out the skill name.

For example, say something like:  "I'm good at or/I like to try to catch people off guard and get a quick attack in before they can react."
Instead of saying something silly like:  "I like to backstab."

I think backstabbing in regards to "sparring" or "training" has been discussed before, and I think a lot of people viewed backstabbing in sparring as being actually trying to kill the person rather than just getting a quick attack in.  Personally, I think if you suck at the skill then you might as well just call it a "quick attack" where you try to get around their guard because it doesn't do squat to start out anyhow.  As you get better at it, however, it would be unwise/unrealistic to be using during sparring.

Either way... I would tell the person you are training with before you attempt something like that.  Say "Mind if I circle around and see if I can catch you off guard with a sneak attack?"  If you suck at it and the person agrees, then *I* would think that it would not be a big deal.  But again.. it depends on the person/clan/group/trainer.

Just don't say: "Hi, can I backstab you?"  Heh.  It may be a good pickup line, but probably not so good during the wrong occasion.

Backstab and sparring has been discussed several times over the years, yes.

As for the OP, unless you're trying to actually make a character who is an assassin, try making him out to be a warrior, even if that's not his coded guild.  In this case, you're a warrior/fighter/whatever, who has tried to specialize in quick, deadly precision strikes to your opponent.  A critical hit, in other words.  You're also one of those "dirty" fighters, who feels that poisoning is a valid tactic to use in a fight, and don't give a damn about "honor" or "fair".  You're trying to win, since the looser is going to die, anyway, and you are sure as hell that it ain't going to be you.

Remember, "guilds" in this game are only the inclinations of your character, or say, rather, that it is their "potential".  You don't have to play them as their guild.  I've seen successful "merchants" who were coded rangers, warriors, thieves and assassins.  I've seen successful hunters who actually turned out to be magickers, down the line.   The point is, these players made their PCs into what they wanted them to be, and not what the code forced their skill sets into.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Be prepared for a long and painful road if you want your assassin to stand up to extended melee combat. That isn't their strength, and it shows. XD said it well: assassins are the thinking wo/man's PC. Strategy and preparation is key.

The Byn (or other combat-intensive clan) is an absolutely lovely way to train your 'ssassin's basic combat skills, regardless.  
Quote from: "a strange shadow"Be prepared for a long and painful road if you want your assassin to stand up to extended melee combat. That isn't their strength, and it shows. XD said it well: assassins are the thinking wo/man's PC. Strategy and preparation is key.
True, but an IC year of serious sparring practice will probably make you a credible (if not outstanding) fighter.  Folks who are guild-warrior may still mop the floor with you, but there are plenty of guild-rangers to whale on. :-)
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Okay, to fix a misconception that a lot of people seem to have:  If we are speaking of weapon skill and weapon skill alone, rangers and warriors and assassins can be just as good as any of the others in my experience.  What makes the difference between them then?  It is the combat skills.  Warriors have combat skills good for melee, rangers for range and assassins from a sneak attack.  Those are the only differences when it comes to their ability to kick ass.

Do NOT think that you can't be a damn good mercenary because your guild is assassin.  Do NOT think that if you want to be a good mercenary that you have to pick a certain guild.  Play a ranger/thug or an assassin/mercenary or a warrior/bard... as long as it fits your character concept.

Now, I'll let people spread more disinformation and advice.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: "Sokotra"
Either way... I would tell the person you are training with before you attempt something like that.  Say "Mind if I circle around and see if I can catch you off guard with a sneak attack?"  If you suck at it and the person agrees, then *I* would think that it would not be a big deal.  But again.. it depends on the person/clan/group/trainer.

Just a quick note to the OP regarding this. Even if your training partner is fine with you potentially practicing a backstab or two, I know at least two of the clans listed in Coat of Arms' post have a definite rule against it, so if you want to go that route, I'd make absolutely sure with your PC bosses that it's okay.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

FYI: Kurac is not a law enforcement clan.  It's one of the great Merchant Houses that has a military force of its own.
Fale is an Institution!

In Luir's, Kurac is a law enforcement clan in the same way that the AoD is in Allanak. That is what Coat of Arms meant; they hire soldier-types, not hunter-types.

Can we not turn this into an argument please?  I was just trying to clarify to make sure new players weren't mislead.  From the way he worded it, it sounded like he was saying that law enforcement is Kurac's job in the same way it is with the Sun King's Legions or the Arm of the Dragon.  Yes, they have Luir's outpost, but Kurac PCs do travel to either city.  Quite frequently in fact.
Fale is an Institution!

In Luir's, Kurac is a law enforcement clan in the same way that the AoD is in Allanak. That is what Coat of Arms meant; they hire soldier-types, not hunter-types.

From the way he worded it, it sounded like he was saying that law enforcement is Kurac's job in the same way it is with the Sun King's Legions or the Arm of the Dragon. Yes, they have Luir's outpost, but Kurac PCs do travel to either city. Quite frequently in fact.

I would like to further clarify and say this:

Kurac usually hires soldier -and- hunter types for their military branch, the Kuraci Fist. A new recruit of the Kuraci Fist is probably going to spend much of their time like a soldier of any other city, patrolling and training within the confines of Luir's Outpost (and the fort). Later, members of the Fist may accompany house merchants and agents on trips, and Outriders (the 'hunter' specific special ops, of sorts) are used to scout and travel throughout the Known World. But for the first year, at least, the vast majority of military training is done within Luir's.
Quote from: Wish

Don't think you're having all the fun...
You know me, I hate everyone!

Wish there was something real!
Wish there was something true!
Wish there was something real,
in this world full of YOU!

Want to throw in the other side for people reading: You can be a kickass assassin by profession and actually be coded any guild. Merchant, thief, warrior, etc.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Quote from: "Bogre"Want to throw in the other side for people reading: You can be a kickass assassin by profession and actually be coded any guild. Merchant, thief, warrior, etc.

Technically, yes- it's possible for a character of any guild to murder another character. However, if you're talking in terms of coded power, I think you're wrong to state that merchants can make "kickass assassins". They haven't got a single skill that would help them kill somebody, and they're the absolutely worst guild choice, so I think it's a bad idea to tell a new player that they can become a kickass assassin with any guild.

Warrior: The best at fighting toe to toe. They start out better than all the other guilds, and they have the potential to become better than the others will ever be. They don't have many assassination-related skills, but their raw power makes them well capable of killing people.

Ranger: Pretty decent at fighting, has a truckload of versatility and survival-related skills, and they're the best killers in the wilderness. While not designed to be assassins they can easily do so, and they have several skills that will help on the job.

Assassin: This is the guild most suited for sneaky killing. A master assassin is the best at murdering folks, but they're also probably the hardest to train. Their token kill-skill is really troublesome to build up, but it's not the only way to get the job done.

Burglar: Can actually become decent killers with time, as well as capable melee fighters. They're not as good as assassins, but they have mostly the same means available.

Pickpocket: This guild is the worst out of all the ones that are considered combat viable. Long-time training can turn a pickpocket into a passable fighter, but that's about as far as they can go.

Merchant: You'll only be able to kill the weakest of the weak, really. Merchants don't even get a single weapon skill, so you'll suck for a long, long time. Many RL months of training can bring you to a level where you won't crumble in a hard wind, but you'll never reach any kind of impressive power. Even the few targets that are weaker than you will need to be trapped or rendered immobile for you to kill them on your own.

You can be an assassin without any coded skills at all, of course. There are a few ways to kill without the need for specific skills, or one could hire others to do it. But if you're creating a character with the intention of becoming a hired killer, I strongly recommend picking assassin, warrior, ranger or possibly burglar.

Quote from: "Coat of Arms"Merchant: You'll only be able to kill the weakest of the weak, really. Merchants don't even get a single weapon skill, so you'll suck for a long, long time. Many RL months of training can bring you to a level where you won't crumble in a hard wind, but you'll never reach any kind of impressive power. Even the few targets that are weaker than you will need to be trapped or rendered immobile for you to kill them on your own.

I agree, BUT... you could be like the sicilian from "The Princess Bride" or something (okay, bad example - heh) and you could build a network of "trade" associates and be extremely charismatic... having the ability to trick and fool your targets into a death-trap or have access to various types of poisons or poisoned foods/drink (with some help from your assistants) and very easily be a very successful assassin that is very good at what he/she does.  I can't believe I just said that... I hate eating poisoned food or drinking poisoned water.  ARGH!!  Anyway... yeah... you get my point.

But I know what you mean... I'd probably rather be Inigo Montoya or the dread pirate Roberts.  *snicker*