Brawl code.

Started by Dan, August 25, 2007, 02:44:47 PM

Correct me if I am wrong, but the proper way to initiate a brawl is to use the 'hit target' command?

Has this been removed or changed in certain places?
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

hit dan

Nope.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Last time I tried it, it wasn't working.
Quote from: BhagharvaWhat you don't know can kill you. What you do know, can kill others.

To the north
[Near]
A lanky, brown-skinned gith is here, humping the rusty brown kank.
The rusty brown kank to the north bleats miserably.

hit brawltest to see if the place is brawl-capable.

Then hit whoever.

Yeah, last time I tried it didn't work either. Excessive use of force, oops.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

It only works in taverns and not all taverns? To be honest, I detest the whole code completely, since it took two of my characters.

Yup. Only some taverns. Use brawltest before you try!
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

Be sure you don't, say, accidentally hit an NPC. That will initiate normal combat.
Quote from: H. L.  MenckenEvery normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

OK. I've seen brawl code go horrendously wrong a few times recently, and was thinking about writing up a "how to brawl" post, so here goes.

How To Brawl

Brawl code is a special type of RP-only combat that can be used in certain taverns. Each city has one or more taverns where a brawl can happen. The general rule is that the nice places won't allow brawling, and the nasty places will.

However, the way to know whether a brawl is allowed by the code is to be standing, and type "hit brawltest". The code will give you a yes or no answer as to whether brawling is allowed.

To initiate a brawl, you must type "hit <target>". You CANNOT use "kill" or "kick" or "disarm" or "bash" or "backstab" or "sap" or any other special combat moves. Doing any of those will actually initiate coded combat and you will be at probable risk of being crim-flagged, killed by your opponent, or soldier-ganked.

In order to brawl and not initiate coded combat, you also must not be wielding or holding a weapon.

Keywords are important in brawling. If you are using a keyword to hit your opponent which is shared with any of the NPCs in the room, and your opponent LEAVES the room, you will then actually hit the NPC and initiate coded combat. Then there will be crim-flagging, possible death, etc. It's much, much better to use the PC's actual name as a keyword if you can.

I'd also suggest that if you're in a room with someone who wants to brawl you, and you plan to leave, do clearly indicate that you're going before you leave the room, so you don't leave them mid-type and open to hitting an NPC. Just common courtesy; no reason to get their PC killed over a keyword error.

Brawling does involve some skill; not everyone is equally good at brawling. Find out IC about that :D
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

I'm sure this has been suggested before but it seems like we could avoid a lot of grief if the command for brawling was just changed to: brawl <target>
and then instead of getting crimflagged/killed due to an OOC mistake, you would just get one of the following messages: You can't brawl here.

You can't brawl him/her. (for an NPC)

You can only brawl with your bare hands.

Unless I'm missing something about how the brawl code works, I would think it would only take a few minutes to change.

Thats a good suggestion (IMHO).
Previous of note: Kaevya the blind Tor Scorpion, Kaloraynai 'Raynai' the beetle Ruk, Korenyire of SLK, Koal 'Kick' the hooved Whiran, Kocadici/Dici/Glimmer, Koefaxine the giant Oashi 'Aide', Kosmia 'Grit' the rinthi
Current: Like I'd tell you.

I'm not positive but I -think- trying to brawl while you're wearing "spiked" armor - certain armor that provides added damage to your opponent, though not being actual weapons - will engage you in actual combat. So - if you plan on duking it out with some drunk in the Gaj, you might want to take your claw-tipped gloves off first.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Make the Folly a brawl room.
Free your hate.

Quote from: "Gimfalisette"
In order to brawl and not initiate coded combat, you also must not be wielding or holding a weapon.

And keep in mind that many 'hold'able objects that you may not consider very weaponish at all can be used as crude weapons in a pinch, and if you happen to be holding one of them while attempting to brawl, the code will react as such.

So keep an eye on your woodworking knives, cooking implements, canes, and rocks. Yes, I've seen someone initiate combat in a tavern because they were just walking around holding a rock and forgot about it.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Quote from: "GoodwinX"I'm sure this has been suggested before but it seems like we could avoid a lot of grief if the command for brawling was just changed to: brawl <target>
and then instead of getting crimflagged/killed due to an OOC mistake, you would just get one of the following messages: You can't brawl here.

You can't brawl him/her. (for an NPC)

You can only brawl with your bare hands.

Unless I'm missing something about how the brawl code works, I would think it would only take a few minutes to change.
I like this idea.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I like the idea too. I like it a lot. I'm substantially tired of watching OOC errors with the current brawl code end up in PC deaths.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

I'd like it if brawl was broken down into various commands. Most of this can be done with emote, but it would be a lot more fun this way, to me.

Such as:
Punch (You can do this whenever you aren't subdued)
Bite (You can do this whenever, but you have a better chance of doing it when subdued.)
Throw (You can be either standing, resting, or sitting. Each state affects what you might throw)
Toss (You have to subdue them before you can toss them.)
Subdue
Knee
Elbow

brawl
You are ready to brawl!

You punch the big, scary mul in the face, and break his nose!
The big, scary mul is ready to brawl.

The big, scary mul subdues you!

You bite the big, scary mul on the shoulder!

The big, scary mul tosses you onto a table!
You are now resting on a table.

You look around and throw a mug at the big, scary mul!

You stand up.

You jump off the table and run away, jumping over another table.

You look around and throw a chair at the big, scary mul.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

If we're trying to keep brawl code separate from real code, I would offer 'grab' instead of 'subdue'.
"Last night a moth came to my bed
and filled my tired weary head
with horrid tales of you, I can't believe it's true.
But then the lampshade smiled at me -
It said believe, it said believe.
I want you to know it's nothing personal."

The Chosen

Those are good suggestions, would be neat to have upclass brawls (ie only using your fists to punch), and everything-goes brawls (teeth, elbows and knees and any other servicable body part)!
Previous of note: Kaevya the blind Tor Scorpion, Kaloraynai 'Raynai' the beetle Ruk, Korenyire of SLK, Koal 'Kick' the hooved Whiran, Kocadici/Dici/Glimmer, Koefaxine the giant Oashi 'Aide', Kosmia 'Grit' the rinthi
Current: Like I'd tell you.

Quote from: "Shiroi Tsuki"If we're trying to keep brawl code separate from real code, I would offer 'grab' instead of 'subdue'.

Ah.. good alternative.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Feel free to disagree, but I'm not certain that in a brutal place, where absolutely sovereign power rests in the hands of the few and self-interested, that it is so horribly OOC for a brawl to go horribly wrong and end up with people dead.
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

I really don't see any reason to not do this.
Quote from: H. L.  MenckenEvery normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Quote from: "James de Monet"Feel free to disagree, but I'm not certain that in a brutal place, where absolutely sovereign power rests in the hands of the few and self-interested, that it is so horribly OOC for a brawl to go horribly wrong and end up with people dead.

The reason folks end up dead in brawls is because they think they're about to use the brawl code (which specifically NEVER ends up with people dead) and end up using the regular combat code (which OFTEN ends up with people dead).

That's the exact reason the brawltest command was added in the first place - to help prevent stuff like that.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

It also puzzles me that, after seeing multiple imm sends telling folks to read the brawl helpfile, you still can't access whatever brawl helpfile there is from the game itself.

There is no help on topic 'brawl'.
There is no help on topic 'brawling'.
There is no help on topic 'brawltest'.

Am I just using the wrong keywords there? If there really isn't a help topic on brawling, there should be.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Quote from: "Fathi"It also puzzles me that, after seeing multiple imm sends telling folks to read the brawl helpfile, you still can't access whatever brawl helpfile there is from the game itself.

There is no help on topic 'brawl'.
There is no help on topic 'brawling'.
There is no help on topic 'brawltest'.

Am I just using the wrong keywords there? If there really isn't a help topic on brawling, there should be.

It's under "help hit", oddly enough.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.