Facebook and ArmageddonMUD

Started by mansa, July 20, 2007, 12:59:32 PM

I think a brilliant idea would be to include an Armageddon MUD Telnet Client into Facebook, using the Facebook API.

This way, we can spread ArmageddonMUD using Facebook.

We could have a 'timer' on Facebook, as well, adding to someone's Mini-Feed.

"mansa has played ArmageddonMUD for 1 Hour, 29 Minutes, and 40 seconds today."

Oh man, this could be awesome.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Facebook is a vile, addictive, disgusting creation.

The perfect tool for assimilating more humans into our cult.

Anything that brings new valuable players is a good thing.

Excellent idea.
Quote from: H. L.  MenckenEvery normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Facebook is more of a personal site, I don't think it would be a worthwhile platform for an Arm telnet client. Nobody I know plays Arm, and I doubt any of them would be interested, either. MySpace is better - plenty of people, all age brackets and interests.

Actually, instead of an API, we just use the existing Arm client - it's a Java app that can be embedded into any website, I assume. You can embed content on MySpace pages.

Then again - Facebook and MySpace may not take lightly to an embedded game - it means fewer page views and site-related activity, so they may block it.

I've played NES games, Scrabble, Sudoku, and others built for the Facebook API.

They already have games that work fine.

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

I advertise to my friends about ARM every chance I get.

Perks of being a highschooler.

Your exposed to mass amounts of impressionable teens.

Let the virus-spreading BEGIN!

:)
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

^^ I'd do that. But I'm living two lives.

One where I go out and party, take drugs, and am generally a jackass. The second when I get home and MUD nonstop.
Free your hate.

So, I'm reminded again of Facebook.

I'm going to try and code up some Facebook application that is a java mud client.

Why is this a brilliant idea?

"Facebook is the new RSS, the new YouTube" - mansa

Basically, it is a site that allows others to "know" what you do online, as well as share pictures and other information.  It's what Myspace was thought to be.

If there was a tool that "shared" to your friends your "online" status, and how often you "logged into ArmageddonMUD" each week, you will be telling your friends about the game.  

It's a -better- avenue than google-ads, because it is free, and because the connect to -other people playing- is there, constantly, you will be able to prod people along.

It's like a Poster for ArmageddonMUD that you can stick onto other people's facebook wall.

CROSS YOUR FINGERS.

Armageddon.org

is the name of the facebook arm group.
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

I don't want my Facebook friends to know that I play a text-based roleplaying game.

Exactly ^^
Do you think you WANT people to know you spent '100 hours 25 minutes 30 seconds' playing a text roleplaying game?
Thanks, but my friends are not savvy enough to understand the awesomeness of roleplaying, so I keep it mostly to myself, unless I am talking to a person I know wouldn't give me a weird look.

After highschool getting ostracized for having nerdy hobbies seems to be less of an issue, I wouldn't worry about it.  Just ask them who won big brother, or whatever it is people watch these days and then stare at them until they feel stupid and shut up.
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

Quote from: "jstorrie"I don't want my Facebook friends to know that I play a text-based roleplaying game.

I'm not forcing you to do anything.  Why do you make it seem like I am?

Only four people on it so far.....
Carpe Diem - Fish of the day

what about the armageddonmud group?

Quote from: "mansa"I'm not forcing you to do anything.  Why do you make it seem like I am?

IF I DON'T LIKE IT NO ONE CAN HAVE IT.

Ah.....armageddon mud....
Carpe Diem - Fish of the day

Quote from: "jstorrie"

IF I DON'T LIKE IT NO ONE CAN HAVE IT.

This should be our new motto.
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins