Should elementalists be gemmed only?

Yes
1 (2.3%)
No
43 (97.7%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Voting closed: August 01, 2007, 01:36:06 AM

I was reading some older threads about magickers and have a proposal to make:

Make elementalists gemmed only. Leave the wastelands to the psimonsters and sorcerers.

Not that I like this idea much myself, but it does have some positives. The "mundanes" will be able to feel like king of the hill again (feeling overshadowed seems to be one of the core issues) out in the wilderness. And the gemmed population, which generally interacts with the player base much less, would grow and perhaps support more community among the gemmed. And so displays of magick would be more rare.

It wouldn't be equivalent to banning elementalists from the wastes. Gemmed have and still do leak out into the wastes at times. But it will reduce the numbers out in the wastes. And in existence overall, frankly, since life as a gemmed can be pretty eventless at times.

As for rationale, it could be explained that templars have become so good at sniffing out budding elementalists that they've been completely rooted out of Tuluki society and gemmed before they even knew themselves in Allanak.
Lunch makes me happy.

Sorcs need friends too =( o/w all you'll see are sorcerer groups banding together for protection and interaction.  You think elementalists were a pain when they're grouped, see a sorc!

Yay!  Anther thread for people to hate on magickers!  We can't have a happy Arm week without one!
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Ironically, we actually hate on magickers more in the GDB than we do IG.

Spawnloser is right, its kinds of silly.

I hate magickers OOC, but if I hated every magicker I ran across IC, I would hate almost every PC I meet these days...its in my best interest to play a PC that dosent mind magickers, which is the general trend I see IG because there are too many of the filthy fuckers.
'm in ur unit, molestin ur mount.

Byn, because you care.

Salt, your post seems to imply that the only place magickers can come from is Allanak and Tuluk, and that the only ones who are outside the cities, are those who came from the cities in the first place.

It just isn't so, and making city-dwelling magickers gemmers only, won't change a thing, except drive more magicker-playing players to start their characters outside of either city.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: "Lizzie"Salt, your post seems to imply that the only place magickers can come from is Allanak and Tuluk, and that the only ones who are outside the cities, are those who came from the cities in the first place.

It just isn't so, and making city-dwelling magickers gemmers only, won't change a thing, except drive more magicker-playing players to start their characters outside of either city.

No, I thought about that. But given that the population of the two cities so greatly outnumbers that of the playable races outside the walls, it isn't a bad approximation to assume they all come from there. Desert elf magickers, Red Storm magickers and the like could be special apped.

By the way, I do like magickers. I even play them.
Lunch makes me happy.

Since the vote is 0/20 did you vote against your own idea?
Amor Fati

Quote from: "Fnord"Since the vote is 0/20 did you vote against your own idea?

Heh heh... maybe? But with such a strong response, maybe the issue can be put to rest.
Lunch makes me happy.

Hey, [edited].

Let people play how they want.

Cheers.

Quote from: "manonfire"...pointless abusive statement deleted...

1) I'm not gay, thanks.

2) Have a nice day.
Lunch makes me happy.

Rather than such a restrictive suggestion, I would rather see an organization that focuses on curbing rogue, dangerous magick. For those that have suffered reading the Wheel of Time series, I'm thinking of an Aes Sedai of the Green-Ajah organization, but not so gung-ho about capturing and taming. More of a 'Do whatever you want in the desolate wilderness, but if you get out of hand or bring your crap too close to the cities, we'll find you, and you won't like that shit at all.'

Play nice, kids.

-WP doesn't really care, but figured he put the idea forward.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

This idea wouldn't eliminate rogue elementalists, just hidden elementalsits.  

Once you've got your gem you can't go back home and pretend to be a normal guy anymore.  But you totally can go out into the wilderness and claim a cave, then harass random travellers.  As long as you don't actually attack soldiers or Templars from Allanak, Allanak doesn't care what happens out in the wastes.  It is actually easier to go rogue as gemmed, because you can spend as long as you want practicing your spells in a nice safe temple before you hit the road as public enemy #1.  An ungemmed will spend a while being nearly powerless in a dangerous place, slowly building up his power.  

It is kind of like trying to tone down raiders by forcing everyone with the Warrior or Ranger guilds to join the Byn right out of character creation.  They can still go out and try to become raiders, but now they are raiders who spent a year sparring for 3 hours a day.  

Quote from: "Ktavialt"Sorcs need friends too =( o/w all you'll see are sorcerer groups banding together for protection and interaction.  You think elementalists were a pain when they're grouped, see a sorc!

Hmm, I don't think large groups of sorcs are likely, for purely practical reasons.  At least not groups of defilers.  There would be too much competition for a limited resource.

Actually, large groups of candy-ass, pansy preservers aren't very likely either.  Being a preserver is hard and painful, I doubt you'll get many people willing to keep at it for more than a few weeks.
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Quote from: "manonfire"Hey, [edited].

Let people play how they want.

Cheers.

QuoteThis board is for general discussion of Armageddon MUD. No flames, no IC-sensitive information.

You know some people aren't as candid as my husband about comments referencing people and penises like this, maybe you should take a portion of your own advice and let people say what they intend to say as well as consider the rules of the GDB.

Edited until I can think of a way to word out my idea without spoiling anything for someone who might think like me, as per Malifaxis' suggestion.

Yah, I still think that's the way it should be, and that I shouldn't be confusing bad movies with Armageddon  :oops:
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Malken wrote:

QuoteSomething that should probably be edited and deleted

Most likely, if you thought it, then someone else will, or is thinking the same, right now.

You may want to strip that information in order to preserve the illusion for another player.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Quote from: "Malifaxis"Malken wrote:

QuoteSomething that should probably be edited and deleted

Most likely, if you thought it, then someone else will, or is thinking the same, right now.

You may want to strip that information in order to preserve the illusion for another player.

Well, I edited it for now, Malifaxis, but how do you suggest that I propose this idea without spoiling it for anyone?
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Well, it's not really a proposal type situation, you're just putting forth information.

If you think that what you thought should be the way things are (oh that was fun to type), then by all means write up an item proposal for this and submit it to the staff.  If they have time, they may very well implement it, though this sort of a change is really more on the level of Templarate intervention.

Perhaps play a PC who always thought that, and then when they found out it was not true, they fucking freaked out and went to the templarate.  Try to convince them that this NEEDS to be done in order to ensure the safety of, well, everyone.

But most likely it's not going to happen, due to the game rewrite.

Edited to add the word 'fucking' at least once during this post.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

I guess I'm the only one so inundated with Deadwood that the word 'cocksucker' no longer holds any derisive overtones.

Oh well.

Quote from: "manonfire"I guess I'm the only one so inundated with Deadwood that the word 'cocksucker' no longer holds any derisive overtones.

Oh well.

Alas, HIS General Discussion Board is not Deadwood. :(
Quote from: H. L.  MenckenEvery normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

I think the response is already enough salt merchant. While I voted no as well, I do understand your frustration. I have a tendency to ONLY play warrior classes. That's just the way I enjoy the game, no matter what position they are in.

That said, I find it frustrating when 2/3 of the folks I meet traveling a main road between cities are ungemmed mages with unfriendly agendas. Every now and then it's fun, but for the most part, its annoying.

But there seems to be a pattern to it. Some months there are simply plenty of people playing mages, others it's not so bad. So my advice is just stick it out.