Coded disability

Started by Coat of Arms, July 07, 2007, 08:22:31 PM

I think it's great to see the occasional disabled character, but wouldn't it be awesome if their handicaps were coded? It could be a simple choice that you make at character creation with coded adjustments. Examples:

Missing or crippled arm/hand
- you don't make two unarmed attacks per combat round
- you can't hold two items, and can't etwo anything

Missing or crippled leg/foot
- you can't run or kick

Blindness
- do something about the problem where you lose your way when walking around in darkness. I'm not sure how it would work because it would actually give blind characters an advantage at night, but that might not be so unrealistic

Deafness
- all vocal communication appears as if you had 0% in the respective language skill
- spells and effects related to hearing, if there are any, won't affect you

Maybe penalties to skills where they are due. Someone with one arm won't be able to subdue very well, and attempting archery when blind will be extremely difficult at best. Let's hear your opinions and suggestions.

The wonder of special apps.
Quote from: Saikun
I can tell you for sure it won't be tonight. So no point in poking at it all night long. I'd suggest sleep, or failing that, take to the streets and wreak havoc.

No. First of all, special apps that require coded changes outside of the norm generally aren't approved, which is exactly why I'd like to see the above. Second, even if the staff were willing to write the coded backup for each individual handicapped character, wouldn't it be easier to code a few basic ones and let the players pick the one they want at creation instead of having to work on a special app every time they want to play a deaf merchant?

Quote from: "Coat of Arms"
Blindness
- do something about the problem where you lose your way when walking around in darkness. I'm not sure how it would work because it would actually give blind characters an advantage at night, but that might not be so unrealistic

Deafness
- all vocal communication appears as if you had 0% in the respective language skill

I like the general idea, but blindness and deafness would be a little more involved. Not everyone that is blind is 100% blind, some can still see, but images are very fuzzy/out of focus or they can tell the difference between light and dark. With deafness, not everyone is deaf from birth, so as long as the person was old enough to pick up decent language skills before their disability they are still able to speak. Also, like blindness, people that are deaf may not be 100% deaf, they may still be able to interpret some sounds (think hearing sounds when you are in a pool under the water). I believe codes like this could get too complicated.

Deafness

The thing is, some people can lipsynch. (sp?)

Quote from: "Lavalamps"
Deafness

The thing is, some people can lipsynch. (sp?)

Which would give boy band members a HUGE advantage, codedly-speaking.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

I rp'd out guy with no eyes. I used look on occasion to get info, like what wearing so could rp sound of clothes, recognise sound of bone, silk and such. Also so i could read desc and if someone would recognise even if hooded. So it can be done just be careful with what info use. personally think would be near impossible to play a really code wise blind unless gave like some other senses or walking stick of some kind.

Amish Overlord  8)
i hao I am a sid and karma farmer! Send PM for details!

It's called 'lip-reading' actually, though a lip-synching skill would be funny as hell.  And yes, deaf people cal read lips, and then there's sign language.  I would love to see both of these in the next version of Arm.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

True coded blindness won't work unless there's a way to recognize voices and the sounds of particular areas, and I'm not sure it's worth having to write an audio description for every room and character in the game just to support a very small minority of characters.