New player: Ansi colours?

Started by Ceryni, June 16, 2007, 10:07:28 AM

Is there a way to fiddle with the ANSI colouring?
I’ve turned on ANSI colouring in the menu, however every single word in game is Uniform white and is absolute HELL to try and decipher the differences between people, descriptions, titles and even my prompt.

Please tell me if there’s a way to set certain things to colours, EG: Objects to green font, Players to red font or whatever.

Unfortunately (and this is a fairly contentious topic around here with some of us) Armageddon does not have system-defined color schemes.

Depending on what MUD client you use, you can add them yourself with triggers. I use some light coloring to highlight combat messages, for example.

But don't worry too much. After a little getting used to, it's easy enough to tell what's what.
QuoteThe shopkeeper says, in sirihish:
     "I am closed, come back at dawn."

You say to the shopkeeper, in sirihish:
     "YOU ^*%$*% WORTHLESS SHIT."

You say, in sirihish:
      "Ahem."

Having ansi on will highlight when someone gets hit in combat, nothing else.

Here is an old topic about using client programs to customize your colors:  http://www.zalanthas.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=36845&highlight=color+colour+trigger+client#36845
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

What Southie said.

If you use zMUD the triggers can be relatively simple.

For example, I use a trigger that picks up "* +[*+]" and changes it to a brownish color. That helps me differentiate between the title of the room and exits from the room's description.

As you play through the game you'll be able to collect little strings for yourself and set up triggers for them.

And of course, welcome to Armageddon!

Having come from what I now consider to have been an overly colorful mud, I can tell you with every confidence that you'll get used to it.  I'm actually even really fond of it now, because what I do have highlighted then jumps off the page instead of being lost in a mish-mash of assorted colors.

And welcome!
"Last night a moth came to my bed
and filled my tired weary head
with horrid tales of you, I can't believe it's true.
But then the lampshade smiled at me -
It said believe, it said believe.
I want you to know it's nothing personal."

The Chosen

Having my own highlights for everything makes it easier.  I've got things color-coded the way I want them color-coded.  I know myself and the way I think with color, so I put some things in colors that are associated with them.

Welcome to Armageddon, too!
Quote from: ShalooonshTuluk: More Subtly Hot. If you can't find action in Tuluk, you're from Allanak.
Quote from: Southie"In His Radiance" -> I am a traitor / I've been playing too much in Tuluk recently.

If you want help coloring in MushClient, let me know.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: "spawnloser"If you want help coloring in MushClient, let me know.

I, for one, would appreciate it.
Quote from: H. L.  MenckenEvery normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

I already know basic MUSHClient colour triggers but if I could work some out for advanced things, like colouring players in rooms, that would be great.

First thing's first... I have offered in the past to give out the basic worldfile I have here for Arm.  This would come with a few basic aliases that can be used as a guide for making more, as well as a healthy amount of colorizing.  What is colorized is the prompt that I use, parts of score and state as well as much communication.

A couple tips for coloring in MUSHClient, though... There is a field called 'Trigger' which is what comes from the mud that must be colorized.  If you do not use wildcards, the line to be colorized must MATCH EXACTLY.  If part of your prompt gets in the way, or you press enter half-way through the line, the line will not be colorized.  Wildcards simplify this.  One example of a few things that my color triggers respond to...
*dissolve the psychic link.
*foreign presence contacts you mind.
*foreign presence withdraw from your mind.
*suffer from use of the Way.

What I do then is just to go to the section in add/edit trigger that says 'Change colour and style to:" and using the dropdown, change the color.  If you change the color to "Other", you then click on the foreground and background buttons to the right... they are not labelled, but you'll figure it out easy enough.

The only thing I could suggest for coloring players is to have the trigger event be...
The * is *.

Any other questions, feel free to ask.

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

:oops: Does anyone use GMUD?.. And know a way to add colors, and what not? Other then change the normal background/ all the text colors?...

If I missed a post of someone saying how, sorry.. But I seen Mush and Zmud..
"Don't take life too seriously, nobody ever makes it out alive anyway."

GMud has no coloring capabilities, no.

Quote from: "BlackMagic0":oops: Does anyone use GMUD?.. And know a way to add colors, and what not? Other then change the normal background/ all the text colors?...

If you give mudmaster a chance, I could help you with setting up some color.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

Quote from: "Yokunama"If you give mudmaster a chance, I could help you with setting up some color.

MudMaster is nice and free. Certainly worth giving a chance if you are looking for something new.

Quote from: "Yokunama"
Quote from: "BlackMagic0":oops: Does anyone use GMUD?.. And know a way to add colors, and what not? Other then change the normal background/ all the text colors?...

If you give mudmaster a chance, I could help you with setting up some color.

Possible, I'll look into it... Where can I find mudmaster? :?:
"Don't take life too seriously, nobody ever makes it out alive anyway."

Quote from: "spawnloser"First thing's first... I have offered in the past to give out the basic worldfile I have here for Arm.  This would come with a few basic aliases that can be used as a guide for making more, as well as a healthy amount of colorizing.  What is colorized is the prompt that I use, parts of score and state as well as much communication.

I would certainly appreciate this, too. Also, thanks for all of the help.
Quote from: H. L.  MenckenEvery normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Anyone who would like the worldfile that I have offered for MUSHClient, send me a PM with the email address you would like me to send it to.

I received 3 PMs, have responded to them and emailed the worldfile to those that have asked.  If the email is not received, or if you believe that you sent me a PM that was not responded to, please let me know.

Big thanks to spawnloser!  :D