Relationship to the society is neutral

Started by Ghost, May 16, 2007, 02:12:29 AM

We have a relationship to the land stat, which we barely see it changing unless we are playing some specific character, and we barely notice it on anyone, unless we are playing another specific character.

I believe crime would reflect on someone's personality no matter how good or used they are.  So my proposition is, we can have a relationship to the society, or something of that nature which shows how much you are close to the crime, or let's say murderous/harmful nature.

Whether for good reasons or just for the fun of it, someone inflicting pain would carry its effects in his personality.  Perhaps the murderous or brutal side of him would be triggered more easily next time, perhaps he would seek to see blood around.  Or the other way around, perhaps the thought of harming someone would make him question his conscience.

So my proposition is:  There can be a stat which can be seen under a character's stat score.  It starts from neutral state and each time he gets into combat, it goes slightly up.  Certain levels can be labeled like "Psychopath, murderous, brutal....etc" down to neutral and to the positive side.  After a certain amount of time, if someone does not get into a combat, it regenerates slowly back to neutral.  And if the person is not fighting still, it may slowly regenerates into the positive range.

Templars (I would support for all templars to have this ability) could have an additional ability to determine someone's relationship to see how close they are to be a criminal or how often they spill blood, etc.

It can be made such that going up in either direction takes exponentially more time.  

How does it sound?
some of my posts are serious stuff

I think this is not a very good idea. Relationship to the land is connected to something concrete–defiling–and has effects that are pretty specific to that one mechanic.

Relationship to society is tied to subjectives and would have wide-ranging and nebulous effects. Is the PC who employs minions who violently enslave commoners in back alleys, but never kills himself, better for society than the roving street enforcer who violently enforces the peace in his neighbourhood?

I think relationship to society is something that can stay in the in-character, uncoded sphere. It's not reasonable to try to represent it on the score sheet.

To be honest, I think the only people who would have neutral or positive relationship to society would be half wits and ... Fale. The rest go from psychopath to atleast brutal.

I strongly dislike the idea.  Code is brain dead stupid when it comes to judging morality.  I see absolutely nothing to gain by having the code keep a tally of how many times I get into a fight and then trying to make some moral judgment about my character based off of that.

You can't break morality down into a mind numbingly boring good/evil, mean/not mean.  Even if you could break it down into such a dull concept of morality, the code would be able to do it on a consistent manner.  I could go poison babies and order the slaughtering of every single  human in a tenement and have a higher morality rating then the mercenary that kills an assassin while on the job.  

Blah.

Keep code out of stuff like this.  The code is dumb and stupid.  It should stick to doing dumb and stupid things like rolling dice.

This sounds like something that should be portrayed by the individual character's roleplay (think/feel/actions/biography).

Quote from: "Coat of Arms"This sounds like something that should be portrayed by the individual character's roleplay (think/feel/actions/biography).
Problem with that is it doesn't let NPCs or VNPCs react. I'd be willing to have some coded means to increase it (with the player option to decrease it at any time). The problem is how much is reliant upon it? If its too subtle its pointless. If its largely reliant its unrealistic.

For psionicists.. sure, more power to'em, other than that, Nah.
For FantasyWriter:
Never again will I be a fool, I will from now on, wrap my tool.

Quote from: "John"
Quote from: "Coat of Arms"This sounds like something that should be portrayed by the individual character's roleplay (think/feel/actions/biography).
Problem with that is it doesn't let NPCs or VNPCs react. I'd be willing to have some coded means to increase it (with the player option to decrease it at any time). The problem is how much is reliant upon it? If its too subtle its pointless. If its largely reliant its unrealistic.
Society Relationships Online Dating Internet Dating Services Agency for Singles UK Society Relationships Online Dating

Exactly  8)

I really don't think there's a realistic way to codedly keep track of what is essentially someone's reputation.  I think if this was an option, it'd be something that characters would have to set themselves, and just be mature about it.
"Last night a moth came to my bed
and filled my tired weary head
with horrid tales of you, I can't believe it's true.
But then the lampshade smiled at me -
It said believe, it said believe.
I want you to know it's nothing personal."

The Chosen