grizzykt staff

Started by askaran, March 30, 2007, 09:49:28 PM

well i think i spelt it right but thats not the point. What kind of weapon is it? slashing, piercing, bludgeoning? im confused. if its more than one does it build up your skill with those types of weapons?

just curious.
Quote from: Cutthroat on August 22, 2009, 10:57:13 PMSo Eunoli Winrothol, Samos Rennik, and Thrain Ironsword walk into a bar. The Red Fang bartender looks up and says, "Get the fuck out of my bar."

I think the gythka staff can be either a bludgeoning or slashing weapon, depending on how you hold it. Try 'flip staff' to switch between the blunt end and the bladed end.
b]YB <3[/b]

i tried but nothing happened.
Quote from: Cutthroat on August 22, 2009, 10:57:13 PMSo Eunoli Winrothol, Samos Rennik, and Thrain Ironsword walk into a bar. The Red Fang bartender looks up and says, "Get the fuck out of my bar."

If you're unsure, you can use "assess -v staff" to find out.  If you have the appropriate skills, it will tell you what kind of weapon it is.  If  ass -v doesn't tell you anything, then you shouldn't be concerned about whether using it will increase your skill, because you don't have the skill in the first place.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: "Hymwen"I think the gythka staff can be either a bludgeoning or slashing weapon, depending on how you hold it. Try 'flip staff' to switch between the blunt end and the bladed end.

How do you know this?

Sounds like such an obscure command.
A foreign presence contacts your mind.

You can also type 'use staff' on such weapons in combat to flip it, I think.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: "LauraMars"You can also type 'use staff' on such weapons in combat to flip it, I think.

That, I know you can.  Like 'use whip' to whip someone.
A foreign presence contacts your mind.

I believe 'flip' is only a command really skilled warriors can use.

Quote from: "Dresan"I believe 'flip' is only a command really skilled warriors can use.

Not to be confused with the 'flip out' command, which many people do on the GDB on a regular basis.
subdue thread
release thread pit

'flip', the command to rotate a weapon, has nothing to do with any skills as far as I'm aware.  It's only coded into a few weapons, so only those weapon can be flipped.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

"Flip" is used for weapons that have more than one weapon type. I know because I played in the Borsail Wyverns once and their trademark battle-staff has that function. I assumed that if the gythka staff was similar, that command would work. It may have only one weapon type though, since I bet the item is like 10+ years old.
b]YB <3[/b]

Not to mention a battle staff only has a blade on one end, whereas the gythka has blades on both ends.  I think it would be a little difficult to 'flip' the gythka and start bludgeoning, given the difference.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Now that we're on that topic (don't wanna make a whole new thread), I'd love to see the flip command made possible for many weapons. A dagger could be flipped to use the pummel for sapping with if you don't have a club handy. A spear could be flipped to use the shaft as a staff. An single-headed axe could be held the other way around to use the.. heel? of the axe-head as a mace, and so on. Obviously shouldn't work quite as well as a weapon designed specifically for those purposes.
b]YB <3[/b]

The real question is how do you pronounce grizzykt?

Here's another revelation to send you through a loop :  it's actually spelled grizzkt.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

I think you are all talking about two different weapons. I checked back on a couple of logs that included my PC "viewing" some stuff in shops in them.

There's a gythka staff, and the grizzkt staff. Two different weapons. One has a blade on both ends. The other has a thick knobby end on one side and a blade on the other.

For the different-sided one, if I'm understanding how coded skills work with regards to being able to view stuff in shops:

If you don't have the skill for one of the sides (maybe you don't have bludgeoning on your skillset) then you won't be able to see that you can use it. And, maybe if you actually own one, you won't be able to use that "flip" command on it, because flipping would imply that you're planning on using that other side, which you don't have on your skillset to use.

At least, that's how it seems to me, based only on my past skillset which had no weapon skills, and the "view" command.

L. Stanson
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Oh, it's a different staff? I thought he was spelling gythka horribly wrong and didn't want to correct the poor guy :P
b]YB <3[/b]

Didn't someone want to change all the weapon names into somthing more armsh? Perfect example of why that shouldn't happen right here :)