belts

Started by Manhattan, March 11, 2007, 09:46:52 PM

why cant we wear beltpouches and sheathe two weapons at the same time?
why not?
i figure itd be like batmans utility belt, with numerous pouches and stuff.
i doubt a belt only has room for two weapons....
perhaps improve this system in Reborn?
A foreign presence contacts your mind.

I'd definitely like less 'container' belts and more containers on belts. It'd be more convenient and realistic for the wearer and an easier job for the thieves.

More cheaper sheaths, worn at waist or somewhere similarly nifty might mend it a bit, too.
Quote from: VanthA well-placed grunt can be worth a thousand words.

Quoteeasier job for the thieves

REQUEST DENIED!

Seriously though, yeah, better belt code would be great. I refuse to have my characters wear a backpack unless they're actually travellers, and if you want to have two weapons on your belt, you pretty much need to find some big pouched belt and stuff it unrealistically with the things everyone needs to have. Most of these belts aren't inch-wide prada belts that break in a hard wind, they're thick and sturdy with girdings to brace the weight and other fun stuff. You could easily hang two not-super-heavy weapons, a waterskin and a reasonably large pouch off of them without getting charged with indecent exposure. And it would help thieves.
b]YB <3[/b]

I actually always found it kinda odd that people were constantly walking around and sitting and standing with naked blades stuck in their belt. not to mention when people lie down and go to sleep without taking them off.
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
     -Douglas Adams

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
     -Douglas Adams

I always assume we have virtual sheaths.
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

I always assumed it was okay to walk around wielding my naked blade.
Quote from: ShalooonshTuluk: More Subtly Hot. If you can't find action in Tuluk, you're from Allanak.
Quote from: Southie"In His Radiance" -> I am a traitor / I've been playing too much in Tuluk recently.

and while those assumptions are rather acceptable I'd rather not have to make those assumptions. I'd rather have actual sheaths instead of imagined ones. Also the price of sheaths that do exist definitely need to be fixed. there is no way a flap of leather made to be strapped around your wrist would cost more then a good dagger to put into it.
     -Douglas Adams

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
     -Douglas Adams

Oh.  I was making a joke about naked blades.

But I don't mind adding more belt slots, or sheaths, I guess, I'm just not aware of much of a need for it.
Quote from: ShalooonshTuluk: More Subtly Hot. If you can't find action in Tuluk, you're from Allanak.
Quote from: Southie"In His Radiance" -> I am a traitor / I've been playing too much in Tuluk recently.

I'm sort of afraid, though, that adding more slots for belts would just cause people to walk around with four axes hanging from their belt, -and- a backpack.
If there was some way to prevent this, then I'd be for it.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

Why prevent this?

What is the problem with doing just that?

I mean I can wear a backpack with 10 weapons in it and alias jj {get axe pack;ep axe;get axe pack;es axe}

I personally would LIKE to have four weapons and a pouch hanging from my belt.
Longknife
Main Weapon
Off/Spare Weapon
Skinning knife / Custom weapon / Water Gourd
Beltpouch

You can do this in RL and it's not a problem.
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

I'd rather see more sheathes and scabbards for weapons, but I also think belts should have a specific number of things that can be hooked on to it.

>assess belt
This belt is a cool belt blah blah blah.
A black leather belt can have eight things hanging from it.

I dunno. Maybe sheaths for only expensive weapons.  I mean, are you really going to pay to have a nice leather sheath for a bone dagger?  It's bone, for God's sake.  Just kill your next Carru and make one out of that if yours gets scratched a bit.  =D
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

I think the idea is more to keep it from stabbing you than to prevent damage to the blade.

That said, I think things should have a size, and belts should only be able to hold a certain amount of objects based on their size. You should be able to wear a bunch of daggers around your waist, but not the same number of longswords. Not that I think it is a huge deal all around, but that would be my most realistic and simplistic solution.
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

Quote from: "FiveDisgruntledMonkeysWit"I'm sort of afraid, though, that adding more slots for belts would just cause people to walk around with four axes hanging from their belt, -and- a backpack.
If there was some way to prevent this, then I'd be for it.
I agree with having more slots but only because i want to wear a belt pack or pouch or water gourd along with my two weapons. So maybe just have the normal 2 hung from belt slots and then a strapped on belt slot that only works for beltpacks, pouches, watergourds and maybe small daggers
     -Douglas Adams

-Douglas Adams