Shield Shortcomings.

Started by Hot_Dancer, February 28, 2007, 11:41:25 AM

I havn't seen a shield take partial damage from a blow and they no longer seem to block kicks since the defense changes. Granted, this is probably low on the priority list with the game ending in a couple months.

It'd be cool to see them get those abilities back before close.

Hot Dancer
Anonymous:  I don't get why magickers are so amazingly powerful in Arm.

Anonymous:  I mean... the concept of making one class completely dominating, and able to crush any other class after 5 days of power-playing, seems ridiculous to me.

I was actually thinking the other day that it'd be cool if it was possible to block some of the directional magicks with a shield. would probably obliterate the shield but it'd be able to stand up to it better then you could. Also would give mundane classes a little bit better chance against magickers
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
     -Douglas Adams

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
     -Douglas Adams

Quote from: "daedroug"I was actually thinking the other day that it'd be cool if it was possible to block some of the directional magicks with a shield. would probably obliterate the shield but it'd be able to stand up to it better then you could. Also would give mundane classes a little bit better chance against magickers

A derail already, you're something special daedroug.  Seconded, two blocks is cool, but blocking kicks is more essential in my book.
ogues do it from behind

Sorry to go along with the derail but that's a great idea. Shields -should- have some chance at blocking some forms of directed magick. This would also help give more benefit to using a shield and make more sense.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

I don't know how good a shield would be at blocking a gust of wind surrounding them or an earthquake under their feet o.O

I do have one thing to say about shields I want to be able to DRAW SHIELD!

That's why people are saying shields should have a chance of blocking directional magic.  Fireballs, lightning bolts, and the like.  Can you dig it?
size=9]go tell that lonesome liar
go tell that midnight rider
tell the gamblin', ramblin' backslider
tell them God Almighty gonna cut 'em down[/size]

Shields block directional majick - should happen.  I mean, why else carry one when fighting a firebreathing dragon?
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

While we're suggesting shield tweaks, maybe there should be some way to turn your shield a particular direction to guard against arrows.  If you're hunkered down behind a big-ass tower shield you should be pretty safe from them.  Same for magick damage spells that can be shot a room away, should any exist.  Though, obviously a bolt of flame is going to do much more damage to the shield than an arrow.

I was gone for some time (things may've changed with that defense change), but last I knew, shields -were- useful against arrows.
Quote from: VanthA well-placed grunt can be worth a thousand words.

Shields are useful against arrows, yes.

I'm not certain whether or not people can protect others from arrows, though, which should be changed.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: "Armaddict"Shields are useful against arrows, yes.

I'm not certain whether or not people can protect others from arrows, though, which should be changed.

If you're guarding them, I believe you can block arrows fired toward other people.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station