Hooded figure numbering

Started by Slink, February 23, 2007, 01:08:08 AM

Why not code it so there is an extra keyword that describes which "cloaked figure" is which?  Reread my feeble attempt to explain what I mean about six more times and then look at the example below.

The first figure in a dark, hooded cloak is sitting at a purple bar.
The second short figure in a dark, hooded cloak is sitting at a purple bar.
The third figure in a dark, hooded cloak is sitting at a purple bar.

A figure in a dark, hooded cloak arrives from the west.

The fourth figure in a dark, hooded cloak attacks the first figure in a dark, hooded cloak from behind!

The second short figure in a dark, hooded cloak assists the first figure in a dark, hooded cloak!

Instead of frantically typing to try to figure out what is going on and who is attacking who, you would instantly know based on the extra keyword and could type in commands using 4.figure as an appropriate target keyword.

This code would not work in Tuluk of course, where the is no violence - only love.

Pow.

If you can choose to toggle it off, I don't mind.
b]YB <3[/b]

The problem is that who is "first", "second", and so on would change as people come and go, no?  You'd be talking to the third figure and using 'third' as a keyword, but if the first figure leaves, the third figure is now the second figure.

Just use the keyword command, or ask for a freakin name.   :wink:

I think that Slink's idea is very good and would be dramatically helpful in minimizing wrong-target based deaths.

Who has time to check the Keyword command when there's a magicker casting?

Say what you want about grit and harshness, but killing your own elf tribe-mate instead of the half-giant attacking him is totally unrealistic and sort of retarded, and generally does far more harm than good.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Yeah. That's one thing I learned when having a Mul as an ally walking around with you. Keep your hood down, because if he accidentally misses, he'll be failing to apologize to a corpse.

I really wish most people would just keep the damn hood down. Hey, if you wanna leave it up thats your prerogative but don't get mad if I throw my poison knife at you because I didn't know which hooded figure just started mumbling strange words.
Quote from: fourTwenty on June 11, 2007, 08:08:00 PM
Quote from: Rievroleplay damn well(I assume Kazi and fourTwenty are completely different from each other)

Did you just call one of us a dick?

My only disagreement, I guess, would be the fact that in the middle of a battle, with all parties with their hoods up, I'm sure you can agree its difficult to tell who is who. In an example with an elf vs. a half-giant, the code already distinguishes the two in size and weight, but when two peoples are similar in height and shape, I think it's reasonable to have to take at least some time to determine which one is on your side.

And as for normal room ordering, it makes it difficult to determine the numbering when your character is wearing the same cloak as well. A third figure might be the fourth figure to others in the room, and that makes the keywords different for each individual.
Song brings of itself a cheerfulness that wakes the heart of joy." 
Euripides

Okey. imagine this situation.

A disagreement between gangs in Labyrinth, a meet up is arranged on Hathor's way. From west side, ten identical figures show up, from east side, another ten. If the fight breaks out, then yeah ... it'll be hard to figure out who's who. But how do you start the fight? Do you keyword fish, to make sure you dont attack anyone that's standing 'behind' you, or to your 'side', instead of those who are standing right infront of you ?

I don't have a solution with this problem but... Just to remind:

Do not raise your hood when you're with a krathi/elkran/half-giant/mul ally.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

So...how does the numbering work if the third figure sneaks out of the room, then comes back a few minutes later without you realizing they left, and they become the first figure?
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

I think the best solution might be simply allow for the tagging of name. For example:

The tall figure in the dirty cloak is here.

> Title Tall Joe

You have titled then (Joe).

The tall figure in the dirty cloak (Joe) is here.

The cool, clever guy (Joe) lowers the hood of the dirty cloak.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

I don't know ... that sounds awfully codish to me, and we don't want to allow the code any more power than it al...

Heard that before?

Nevermind.

I like Jmordetsky's idea. And even the original isn't bad.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870