The huge and thin figure in a cloak stands here

Started by SpyGuy, February 16, 2007, 12:36:16 AM

Am I the only one that doesn't like the use of huge as a descriptor for being tall?  It just doesn't fit and according to dictionary.com isn't quite in line with the meaning of the word.

huge      /hyudʒ or, often, yudʒ/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[hyooj or, often, yooj] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective, hug·er, hug·est.
1. extraordinarily large in bulk, quantity, or extent: a huge ship; a huge portion of ice cream.  
2. of unbounded extent, scope, or character; limitless: the huge genius of Mozart.  

This isn't a huge issue (haha, Spyguy is so funny) for Arm as it is now but I wouldn't mind it changing for Arm 2 so I don't think all these elves are so fat.  Maybe towering as a good alternative?

I agree that towering is a better word.

Huge always makes me think half-giant, before I realize that he's just a really tall skinny elf.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

You are not alone.

I'm also getting tired of obese muls.  No one would ever let a mul get fat unless it were for an expensive practical joke.

The dapper, blue-eyed young man says, in sirihish,
    "Lord Tor, Lord Aprilious Borsail the First has sent us a gladiator mul as a gift!  It should be here any moment."

The pudgy, red-cheeked mul has arrived from the east, flabby folds jiggling as he trudges in.

The pudgy, red-cheeked mul stumbles to a halt, then strikes an exaggeratedly fearsome pose with a pair of axes.  The axe blades are very obviously made of paper.

The muscular, haughty old man shouts, shaking his fist towards the ceiling, in sirihish,
   "Damn you Aprilious!"

Agreed with both SpyGuy and MM.   If 'towering' replaced 'huge', then 'huge' could replace 'obese'.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House