Numbers are down, what can we do about it?

Started by Gimfalisette, January 26, 2007, 01:37:51 PM

People, do not forget that the holidays ended a couple of weeks ago, and our playerbase seems to be at its peek during those times. Students are enrolling back into schoool, others are going back to work, and the rest of us are getting back to our lives.

Thats just my two 'sids.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

Hell I don't know.  Maybe I'm crazy.  But here is what I'm doing.  I'm still playing, playing a lot actually.  

I'm actually trying to start something big.  At least in my mind.  Will it change the world?  I don't know.  It's possible.  Actually if it all works out it might change Arm.2.  

But that's because I take to heart what has been said.  And that is that players are going to determine a big part of what happens with Arm.2.  What the world is like, who is in charge, those things matter to me.  I guess it has motivated me to do more than I normally do.  Whether what I'm working on works out in the end or not, I don't know, but I'm going to try.

Why you ask?  Cause it's freaking fun.  Take your break from Arm.   When you come back the world will be mine!  Fools!
At your table, the badass dun-clad female says in tribal-accented sirihish, putting on a piping voice, incongruous not the least because it doesn't get rid of her rasp:
     "'Oh, I killed me a forest cat!' That's nice; I wiped me bum after taking a shit.

My character is creating a shit load.

Am I saddened? No. Fuck that.

I don't really care if stuff I'm creating gets destroyed. Maybe it even won't? Maybe some stuff will carry on into Arm 2. Or maybe nothing will. I don't really care!

I don't see why people aren't playing. This is your last chance to have any impact on the world as it is. You'd think more people would be playing more often, trying to milk Armageddon for all it's worth.

So quit being wusses and keep playing.

Oh, I'm creating all sorts of things.  I'm still playing regularly.

There's another reason you should be playing even more now than before:

Most likely, you can talk about a lot of the stuff your character did after June 1st.  If nothing else, that's a VERY cool reason to play a great character.  Memorable may be memorable to those of us that played, maybe not so much for those that will play Arm 2, but that doesn't matter--maybe your character will do something outrageous that we'll all be laughing at ourselves that may not "echo" in history, but us players will know...anyway.
Quote from: ShalooonshTuluk: More Subtly Hot. If you can't find action in Tuluk, you're from Allanak.
Quote from: Southie"In His Radiance" -> I am a traitor / I've been playing too much in Tuluk recently.

My excuse is Chinese New Year season... it's hell on my schedule. Holiday season doesn't really end till after Feb.

First of all, I'll say I had a long lived character earlier that happened to get into -the midst of things regarding the end-. Honestly, it was fun, but I'm having alot more fun in a far simpler role. it's not all it's cut out to be -yet-. but I am drawn on by the fact that things are going to be picking up. Personally I think it -sucks- that people are not playing currently because of the end coming.

5 months is more time than you need to atleast get comfortable with a role. And in my view now is the time to get ready for big things, since turbulent times coming can pave way for your character to gain power, if only briefly.
Shit I have roles for two in the south still if people are having that much trouble looking into something to fill.
And when they say that I am dead and gone, it won't be further from the truth..."

I noticed the drop in the number of unique logins each week and also noticed that the peak numbers seem to be down.

While I can understand the desire to take a break until the new game comes out, the suggestion that there's no creating going on is plainly false.  There is plenty happening, and plenty of time to accomplish things.  It may even be more than 5 months for all we know (Not to sounds like a pessimist; I have every faith in our Staff, but I wouldn't be shocked if they took a little more time than expected to perfect their creation).

As for brand new players - if we're seeing fewer of those, it's probably because some may decide to wait for the new version.  Plus, if they've visited the discussion board, almost all the Armageddon talk is about the new game.  That's only natural, but it may leave the impression that we're all just waiting for the next version.  Maybe that's not so far off the mark, but there are plots unfolding in-game and cool things happening.
So if you're tired of the same old story
Oh, turn some pages. - "Roll with the Changes," REO Speedwagon

I was taking a break, okay? I'm coming back now.

Yeah, get your ass back in.
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

I, for one, haven't played more than 5 hours in the last month
or so with my newest character, and my reasons...

(1) I played continuously, far more than I'd care to admit to any
non-mudder (yo whats new there?) on my last main character
from about November '05 to August '06.  I'm in my third year
of law school and I can't really do that stuff anymore.  I doubt
the 'Reborn' thing affected my addiction to crackageddon.

(2) Armageddon, when you get into the nitty gritty about groups
and so forth, all have this 'nothing is what it seems' vibe to it.
Anybody worth anything is self-benefitting when it comes down
to it, and then you learn the special things about Arm, which is
neat, but I'm kind of over it now.  I've seen enough with my
characters that it killed the mystique a bit, and its hard to run
back to a naive character again.  The redundancy, plus the "hey
I know what really is true here... or there" kinda turned me off
for the moment.

Personally, I'm looking forwards to 2.Arm.  I won't be able to
play as much as I did with my last character (ie. 35 days playing
time on her in like what, 9 months?) but I have a lot of faith in
the staff's ability to make something awesome with a completely
fresh slate, knowing all they know about how 1.Arm works. Plus,
I want to be a little naive again.

- Ktavialt

Well, I have an interesting little story that definitely affected how I perceive the game and how much I really wanted to play. I have a runner and he was in a local establishment. The runner started up a friendly enough conversation and then suddenly it was morning. One of the character mentioned that it was time for a Bynner to be training. Rightly so, however the opportunity to RP with other characters is MUCH BETTER than heading to a place where you probably wont find another player character in. Regardless, I begrudgingly headed back to the Byn only to discover much to my shockingly accurately belief in what I would find but a Byn area devoid of players! Wow! Fun stuff! So instead of heading back to that establishment and starting some type of problem with the others I had my character log off. That was the last time I played my character until today (about two weeks).

The game just doesnt have the "synergy" to sustain a bunch of clans. I think I will retire my character and try and play where there are others because I dont log in to solo RP. If that doesnt work I may just wait until the game is in version 2 and give it a go.

Quote from: "Arillion"Well, I have an interesting little story that definitely affected how I perceive the game and how much I really wanted to play. I have a runner and he was in a local establishment. The runner started up a friendly enough conversation and then suddenly it was morning. One of the character mentioned that it was time for a Bynner to be training. Rightly so, however the opportunity to RP with other characters is MUCH BETTER than heading to a place where you probably wont find another player character in. Regardless, I begrudgingly headed back to the Byn only to discover much to my shockingly accurately belief in what I would find but a Byn area devoid of players! Wow! Fun stuff! So instead of heading back to that establishment and starting some type of problem with the others I had my character log off. That was the last time I played my character until today (about two weeks).

The game just doesnt have the "synergy" to sustain a bunch of clans. I think I will retire my character and try and play where there are others because I dont log in to solo RP. If that doesnt work I may just wait until the game is in version 2 and give it a go.

That's a problem of clan schedules (some clans have those, many don't), not of the game.
You could either reitre, like you said, or just be a deserter and leave the Byn - could be a lot of fun that way.
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

Since this thread seems to have taken a turn towards confession, I might as well chime in and admit that I havn't played my character for more than 5 min. in the last 3 or 4 months...it's just one of those times where your interest slacks and you gotta give yourself a break.  True, with the upcoming change to the game, I find myself more interested in starting a new character in Arm 2.0 than starting over again in Arm 1.0.

It's just a fact of life, numbers fluctuate heavily during a game changing event/announcment.  I really don't think we're going to see the 40-60 players on during peak time until about the last couple weeks before the game shifts over.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

I did not really notice the drop in the numbers.  Probably because I was not much on the peak before, but I actually remember less logins from back in time.

What I observe right now, is the drop in the leader PCs.  That is something more important I think, then the drop in the playerbase.  Without people to drive plots/quests, there will be less of a motivation for the playerbase, which may lead to drop in the numbers.

I am playing in a relatively less crowded area right now, and I do not see the majority of the PCs, but I do see -enough- PCs in my "less crowded area" to call that the arm is still kicking ass.  I used to see more than a few major plots and numerous minor plots in the game though, now I only see one major plot and a few mini plots.

That said, if my PC dies (and I hope he does not), I think I won't make another PC till the end but instead play other games or write stories of Armageddon.  So I can understand why people leave, that is, if they are leaving.
some of my posts are serious stuff

I'm actually in a yearly Armageddon Rut where I don't feel like playing. So when I do get a kickass Idea, I'll be back in as a full time job at work.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

I have helped two or three newbies in game over the last few days...and seen more that were getting help besides.  It's been a while since I've seen such an obvious number of new players.  I am not sure whether to be encouraged or worried, but either way, I love those guys!  I wish I was a new player again.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Also, I don't see the point in recruiting new players right now.  It is already complicated enough to explain this game.  I don't even want to tackle trying to explain to a newb this game but also that it is going down, why it's going down, why IG weird untypical things are happening, that these are untypical things, what the Armageddon Reborn thread is etc etc ontop of all of the mechanics of the game that will be completely new to them.  As well I feel it's kind of ridiculous to be like you've GOT to try Armageddon if you're a gamer.  By time they learn the game it'll be going down because I know for me it took at least 6 months for me to -really- understand the code and get a decent feel for the RP expectations.

I don't really see it that way, Bebop.. I started playing near the end of Matrix Online and even tho I knew I was in the beta and the game was going to end and start from scratch in a few weeks, I was so impressed with the way they ended the beta that it made me purchase the game and play it from the beginning again when it started out.

I at least knew the basic commands and what the core of the game was like.. So even if people bring in new players right now, I think it's a great thing because they'll see the world at its most exciting that it'll just make them want to play the new version once it comes out, how great the players are and also how involved the admins are in the gameworld.

New players don't expect to live for 4+ months anyway, in a harsh world, so they won't really care how and if the world ends on their first few months, it's how it ends that'll make them want to stay or not. Beside, they'll enjoy the fact that everyone will be a newbie then.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: "Bebop"Also, I don't see the point in recruiting new players right now.  It is already complicated enough to explain this game.  I don't even want to tackle trying to explain to a newb this game but also that it is going down, why it's going down, why IG weird untypical things are happening, that these are untypical things, what the Armageddon Reborn thread is etc etc ontop of all of the mechanics of the game that will be completely new to them.  As well I feel it's kind of ridiculous to be like you've GOT to try Armageddon if you're a gamer.  By time they learn the game it'll be going down because I know for me it took at least 6 months for me to -really- understand the code and get a decent feel for the RP expectations.

Understanding Armageddon better will probably benefit understanding Arm 2.

The more new people that get into Armageddon, the more new people that may get into Arm 2.
Quote from: Saikun
I can tell you for sure it won't be tonight. So no point in poking at it all night long. I'd suggest sleep, or failing that, take to the streets and wreak havoc.

Quote from: "Bebop"Also, I don't see the point in recruiting new players right now.  It is already complicated enough to explain this game.  I don't even want to tackle trying to explain to a newb this game but also that it is going down, why it's going down, why IG weird untypical things are happening, that these are untypical things, what the Armageddon Reborn thread is etc etc ontop of all of the mechanics of the game that will be completely new to them.  As well I feel it's kind of ridiculous to be like you've GOT to try Armageddon if you're a gamer.  By time they learn the game it'll be going down because I know for me it took at least 6 months for me to -really- understand the code and get a decent feel for the RP expectations.

The way I see it, if a newbie can just get comfortable learning to emote and RP, they'll be fine taking part in the end times plots. Even better, they'll be in that fresh, wide-eyed period where everything in the game is new and exciting and awesome right when the big plots are going down. Perfect time to get them hooked.
subdue thread
release thread pit

I also think this is a fine time for newbies to get into the game. Yes, it takes some longer than others to learn to handle the code and emoting aspects, but some don't need long at all. There's no reason to turn newbies away for that reason.

I'm more concerned about retaining veteran players, however. Vets are the population from which leaders are generally drawn, tend to be more immediately useful to and involved with other players whether or not they're leading, etc.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

I have not read the entirety of this thread, but I wanted to put a comment in here from my perspective...

If you perceive that player numbers are down, one very tangible thing that you, as a player, can do is to choose a public place to idle, and when you see someone else, come up with a reason to interact with them. Say something offhanded, beg for money, insult them, start a brawl. Whatever is appropriate. Give us a cue. Plot and entertainment compel people to stay with the game and log in. This is as much your job as it is ours.

Here's the way it normally works: I see several people online, each in their own private apartments, barracks, or whatever... No one is using the way to contact anyone they might know, no one is walking around, no one is solo RPing... no one is doing anything but idling. And, from my perspective, as someone who is dedicated to your entertainment, this makes it a HELL of a lot harder to involve your characters in anything I might think up or have going on.

This is just my opinion, not necessarily that of the rest of the staff.
nless explicitly stated, the opinions of this poster do not necessarily represent all staff.

Halaster the Shroud of Death sings, in unnaturally gutteral sirihish:
    "S
     T
     F
     U"

I came on to try and play last night (Saturday) (for the first time in awhile). I logged on during peek hours like 9-11 never saw more than 40 people it was more like in the high 30's.  There used to be around 70 people on at that time.

Just an observation.

Ever thought that you were part of the problem, Bebop?  You haven't been logging in...which meant that numbers were already going down.  Others could have noticed that the numbers were down a little bit...and stopped showing up to.

To everyone that bitches about numbers being down, one of the first things you can do to fix it is log in your own damn self and stay logged in as long as you would have without numbers being down or people not being around you much.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: "Spawnloser"
Ever thought that you were part of the problem, Bebop? You haven't been logging in...which meant that numbers were already going down. Others could have noticed that the numbers were down a little bit...and stopped showing up to.

To everyone that bitches about numbers being down, one of the first things you can do to fix it is log in your own damn self and stay logged in as long as you would have without numbers being down or people not being around you much.

I'm pretty sure people can play the game when they want, not just to serve as a +1 to the player count to fix the problem their "own damn self".

There is no problem to be a part of, spawnloser. The only thing is that numbers are down, and I have to say, "oh well". I don't mind playing with 100 people or with 10. I figure numbers will go up when the playerbase generally wants it to. That can be as late as when Arm2 comes, or later.

That said, the best thing we can do is keep ourselves on the front page of TMS, in my opinion.
ow Armageddon will end:
> Tektolnes does unspeakable damage to Zalanthas' head with his bludgeon.
> Zalanthas crumples to the ground.