Started by Lenny Poppo, December 15, 2006, 01:40:48 PM

How about a strangle hold?

yes it would be amazing
12 (50%)
no this move is not a good idea
12 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Voting closed: December 15, 2006, 01:40:48 PM

I was thinking that having a strangle command for when you have no weapons would be pretty cool, like a choke hold that is hard to get out of, except it's also very hard to get to work on skilled people that are fighters or whatnot.

obviously you could not strangle people that are immortals and don't need to breathe, like powerful undead vampires (not that you would see them in a desert world but just an example)

what do  you think?

This has actually been brought up before, though it was suggested to be as a subset of Subdue.
On the other hand I kinda doubt any effort will be put into putting this into place unless you meant for Arm 2 that they're working on....
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
     -Douglas Adams

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
     -Douglas Adams

I think this should only really work on humanoids. I can't see anyone strangling a scrab. But it might be a neat addition for warriors and assassins.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

How about like an unarmed backstab?

I have no idea why I am posting in this forum... But as I have suggested multiple times for arm2... We need called shots, critical strike, and command emoting!

You could 'hit <target> neck' or 'hit <target> throat' while hidden to perform a sneak attack, if unarmed you would use your hands, and you could describe the action of your character through command emoting.

Sweet. ;)
Quote from: Wish

Don't think you're having all the fun...
You know me, I hate everyone!

Wish there was something real!
Wish there was something true!
Wish there was something real,
in this world full of YOU!

lol seriously man this is a bad idea

just picture it and you are walking on the street and someone grab you POW! you are grabbed then what? like how you think you're gonna get out even if you're a master brawler, this idea kind of sucks and i can see many bad things coming from this - trust me i've played muds for a wile now

Quote from: "Belated Birthday"trust me i've played muds for a wile now

I trust you.
your mother is an elf.

Yeah, I believe I suggested this as a subsidiary of subdue some time ago. I still think it's not a half bad idea that you could do like 5-10 damage to someone by choking them during a subdue, but with a forced time delay between commands and a bonus to flee attempts while your attacker is concentrated on wringing your neck.

It'd be pointless to add it now, but it might be something to bicker about for Arm2. ?
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

franly IMO subdue is broke as it is, no need to make it worse.
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
     -Douglas Adams

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
     -Douglas Adams

Yes, we've all heard the arguments before that OMG SUBU IS BRKIN!!1!  We've had the discussion several times, in fact.

Frankly, I don't think any major code change will happen in Arm that isn't just testing something for 2.Arm.  The coders have enough to do to get 2.Arm up and running by the time they would like to.

I'd rather discuss code changes that will make things work better for 2.Arm than see people bitch, yet again, about how they feel that something is broken...especially when they don't even explain why they feel it is broken or how it could be fixed.

Personally I find it ridiculous that strength seems to be the only deciding factor.  Agility should determine if a grab is made, while the subduers strength determines if it is kept, opposing whichever is higher (agility or strength) on the subdued's part.  Size should play a factor as well.  The larger the target the easier to grab, and the opposite would hold true as well, but once you grab that HG, think you'll hold him for long?  After chasing the halfling around the Grey Forest for an hour, you finally get ahold of the little twerp the size of your 6-year old cousin, think he'll have an easy time getting away?  Still, you should have a hard time getting your hands on the little bugger.

I would not be opposed to things you can do to someone once you have them subdued, but only if subdue doesn't work as it does currently.  A choke so that you can hit them for some stun and stamina damage?  Right on.  But if a HG can 'sub halfling;hit halfling' still with little to no chance of failure on the subdue, I would rather not have any additions.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.