Gaits or "Walking 2.0!"

Started by Fathi, December 01, 2006, 12:27:58 AM

One aspect of emoting that I really wish I could see more people do is adding an emote when they walk or run. After all, characters would react far differently to a situation like this

The bulging, scary half-giant has arrived from the north, strolling along while whistling.

versus a situation like

The bulging, scary half-giant has arrived from the north, stomping ominously.

Right now, you can either type it out every time you take a step or cut-and-paste your emote every time if your client supports c/p. I know it's not a huge thing, but I figured it was a worthwhile idea to toss around.

It could be akin to the 'mood' code, only it would display in the echo when you enter the room just like adding an emote does.

I just figured it would give a little flavour to seeing people walk down the streets.

Any suggestions?
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

I would like it.. It would be especially useful when "The gith pierces your leg, doing horrendeus damage.". It's really really really boring to add (with a limp) to each walk command after such an injury.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

As long as certain things, like combat, reset your 'move mood,' I could support this.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: "spawnloser"As long as certain things, like combat, reset your 'move mood,' I could support this.

Well, combat already resets your mood, doesn't it? I don't see why it wouldn't work the same way.

Although I was an idiot and didn't realise that combat changed my mood to begin with.  :oops:

I figure combat, sleep, and mounting/dismounting would, at least.

Yeah, that's the point I was making.  Certain things should reset how you're moving, if this is implemented, because they change your character's whole take on his/her surroundings and how much haste s/he should be feeling.

One thing that should DEFINITELY change the 'move mood' should be changing movement speeds.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I've suggested being able to change your ldesc to where it doesn't change until you take it off.  Like if a pregnant woman was waddling along.

As I remember it though there was a negative reception to the command though *shrug.*

If you are willing to sacrifice 4 of your alias spots you can do this now, and with slightly greater variety.

alias n north limping along
alias e east with a noticeable limp
alias s south leaning heavily on her cane
alias w west favoring her mangled right leg

That way as you change directions your "stride" changes slightly, making it a little less boring for anyone watching you.  If want to make a custom movement emote for a specific step, you just use "north" instead of "n" so that the alias isn't invoked.

>north stumbling across the threshold

It's easy enough to set up.  The only downside is if you are already using your 10 in game aliases for other important things.
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Yes yes, there is always a work around method. The keyword there being work.

Sadly In order to use any of them requires a decent amount of time since there are six directions to be covered. Even using copy/paste it becomes an irritation very quickly and you stop using it. at least I do. I love move emotes and I never use them.

I'd like to use them and would do so to help show mood actually.

Now, if you could set it temperarily I would. And its something that should be easy enough to put in. change gdesc loping briskly...poof, then any change to speed or attitude, combat/sit/rest/mounting would reset it to neutral.

All for the idea.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: "Angela Christine"If you are willing to sacrifice 4 of your alias spots you can do this now, and with slightly greater variety.

alias n north limping along
alias e east with a noticeable limp
alias s south leaning heavily on her cane
alias w west favoring her mangled right leg

That way as you change directions your "stride" changes slightly, making it a little less boring for anyone watching you.  If want to make a custom movement emote for a specific step, you just use "north" instead of "n" so that the alias isn't invoked.

>north stumbling across the threshold

It's easy enough to set up.  The only downside is if you are already using your 10 in game aliases for other important things.

I actually did this with just north and south, because I only had two alias spots, when my character had a cane.

Yours is better than mine, though.  :P

How do you stomp ominously?
musashi: It's also been argued that jesus was a fictional storybook character.

Quote from: "Dirr"How do you stomp ominously?

say (to ~halaster, waving a hand) Hey, walk over here a minute.
Quote from: manonfire on November 04, 2013, 08:11:36 AM
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

Actually mine goes more like

ON zmud for example:

alias n
#if (%1 = "") {north @movementemote} {
 movementemote=%1
 north @movementemote
 }

then you do for e, s, and w as well.

then you make another that goes something like

alias cmove
movementemote=""

Fairly simple script.  When you type n, e, s, w without anything after it, it will move without emoting.  But once you place something after it it'll save the entire string under a variable and fires it everytime you move until you type cmove.

I've done it like AC suggests before.

I don't mind this going in, although in my opinion it gets stale if you have the same gait in all directions all the time.  I guess it's better than nothing, but it loses something if you don't at least mix it up now and then (IMHO).  That would be my only reservation in seeing this go in (likewise for persistent voice tags).
So if you're tired of the same old story
Oh, turn some pages. - "Roll with the Changes," REO Speedwagon

Quote from: "flurry"I've done it like AC suggests before.

I don't mind this going in, although in my opinion it gets stale if you have the same gait in all directions all the time.  I guess it's better than nothing, but it loses something if you don't at least mix it up now and then (IMHO).  That would be my only reservation in seeing this go in (likewise for persistent voice tags).

Well I figure it will be like 'mood' or some of the mother, more advanced types of emoting... good players I know do a lot of it, and some of the less experienced don't use it as much because they're still getting used to the game.

On behalf of the Zalanthan Board of Tourism, we support this idea.
Amor Fati