Though I often don't like posting ideas..

Started by UnderSeven, November 06, 2006, 06:48:34 PM

How do you people feel about an 'artist' subclass?

The idea of this class would be that it would come with the 'draw' skill
which would enable the artist to draw opun stuff and do paintings and such.

Basically it would work like writing, only it would be a language that anyone could understand.  

For abuse I would suggest it having somewhere a tag which made it clear the picture was done using the 'draw' skill and therefore anyone could quickly tell if it were relaying an inappropriate messge, such as actual words.

I would also suggest making it a karma required class to be an extra safe guard from abuse.

Anyway, ideas thoughts?

Dig it.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

Have draw attach an image to an object that can then be seen by typing 'look object's image' or the like maybe?
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I'm pretty sure this has been discussed thouroughly in a previous post....

I can see it as a subguild.  Though I would rather see "draw" working as "sing".  You can write down in detail what you are drawing and people come and read the description.  How much you suck at it, is determined by your RPing it, not skillwise (as in how well you sing it is determined by your emotes and choices of words)
some of my posts are serious stuff

I love the idea of karma-restricted subguilds.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

Oh please. Oh please oh please oh please.
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

Quote from: "Beux"I'm pretty sure this has been discussed thouroughly in a previous post....

It's an awesome idea and I think it should be fleshed out and discussed more, if the staff is open to changing the current system for painters etc. If it has been discussed, Beux, I think it's customary to try and find the link to the past thread?

How about a 2nd subguild for smaller little itsy bitsy things like being able to draw or arrange flowers or make dung-pies or walk and chew gum at the same time.

No.. dislike it.. make scribbling on items available to all.

Anyone can sing.

Bards can sing pretty good. Probably, better than Amos the Butcher.

Thats why theres a Bard Subguild.

It signifies that in your background, you spent some time doing..Well..Bardic things. Maybe fiddling with a lute for a few years, singing while you take a sand..bath..You know. Bard things. Killing people.

But seriously, I think having a karma restricted sub_guild "Artist" is a great idea.

Everyone can draw, but there was only one Picasso. Or perhaps, to put it better, in Zalanthas, even in the RINTH, there are communities of "artists" that should be codedly able to do things that are nifty. Like paint. Or make sculptures on the fly.

Like "sculpt rock" and then entering a writing prompt. It submits to a staff, live, to await approval, maybe through the request command. It goes in, boom. Your sculpture exists!

The karma would come in with the staff trusting a player enough to not be an impeccably perfect artist from the get go..Make imperfect pieces, and perhaps with time, become a really good artisan.

Seeing as theres no restrictions on how good Bards are off the bat...I THINK ITS A BOMB IDEA.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

I'm not sure how I feel about a whole new subguild yet, but one idea for a draw skill would be to scramble the description (like the language filters) of what you draw based on your profeciency.

Scrambling would only prevent people from -seeing- what you have made, in a coded way. Your character still made it...it exists...just PCs can't understand what's there if the words are scrambled.

Rather, I'd like to see an artisan subguild, but as bard's have sing, just with the difference in background and chosen profession, artisans can just 'draw', with a few other skills that would be useful to an artisan like haggle, assess, value, tool making, etc.

If it is the creation of a large object like a sculpture, players already have the option to change the ldesc of the item through each progress, and roleplay crafting and shaping, or painting, the object. Once it is completed, and in a reasonable amount of time IG (half a year, IG, for example, on a large piece of work) then they can send it in via submission to have it approved and coded by the staff, with a log of the crafting attached.

Never done it before...but I figure that is how it is done.  :wink:

And I vote no for making it a karma restricted subclass. There's ways a bard can be abused, being a professional straight from day one of playing, but there's enough trust in players to roleplay it well. I think we could do the same with the artisan subguild. If it gets to become too much work for the staff due to abuse of the 'draw' command (players submitting their 'special' work earlier than would be realistic IG) then they can consider making it a 1 karma subguild, but not until we've tested it.

Another limiter would be clans and a support base. Without having the materials, the pay, and such, an artisan likely wouldn't be able to start on any of his/her work anyway. For whichever House or Noble they work under, the imms of that clan can moniter how the artisans under their pay are doing...if they want to.  :wink:
Song brings of itself a cheerfulness that wakes the heart of joy." 
Euripides