Whokillet?

Started by bloodfromstone, October 28, 2006, 09:31:36 PM

From my experience, it seems like 9/10s of the world sustains itself on mekillot. Nobody blinks an eye when someone slaps down a slab of mekillot and carves it up with a fork and knife.

On the other hand, if you say "Me and my buddies are going mekillot hunting." People laugh, act surprised, or tell you that they'll see you in Drov. Now, I understand that one dead mekillot feeds a lot of people, but my question is... Who is killing the mekillots that we're all eating? Are there mekillot ranches out there where they're bred fat and without claws and teeth? Is there a league of super hunter vNPCs working for every clan that has a cook?

Just something I noticed the other day and was curious about. Of course, it's not a big deal or anything, but it's certainly something that got me thinking. Maybe mekillot shouldn't be on the list of steaks that NPCs can just whip up with wild abandon.
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

I think the price/monetary value of a mekillot steak is enough to cover the realistic difficulties of obtaining the meat. imo.

I'd have to guess that very large and very skilled hunting parties probably take down mekillots. Even then, I'd still say mekillot hunting is a very risky business for all involved. The mekillot hunting business death rate alone must be huge. That's probably why you don't see many veteran mekillot hunters around.

Maybe it's like a punishment.

Scowling fiercely, the hard-nosed templar tells the tall, muscular man, in sirihish:
   "Stealing leaves from the Highlord's plants?! I sentence you to six years of mekillot hunting!"
b]YB <3[/b]

There's got to be some sort of breeding ground or something where they train the mekillots that haul the huge argosy wagons and junk....  the old ones or others that don't make the cut (or get the cut) get butchered and eaten.

I would guess some are from hunting and others are breed. The breed ones could be old ones that are put down, or one breed specifically for eating. Keep it tied down, feed it on occassion. Maybe not let the ones for eating grow too big.

Amish Overlord  8)
i hao I am a sid and karma farmer! Send PM for details!

Umm... find out IC?

Honestly, I think many animals that are not exactly 'domesticated' are still farmed in one form or another.  Like the big ol' critters that pull argosies or the erdlu and kanks that make a healthy Allanaki meal.  Someone is out there training/harvesting these beasties, wonder who it is...?

I'm sure you can get quite a lot of steaks out of any one particular mekillot.

Haha, I wonder how large the scrolls is when you type "skin bahamet" in that case.

Safety in numbers.  Large numbers.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Here is an idea....Meks are giant fucking lizards right?

Dont giant fucking lizards lay giant fucking eggs?

Perhaps alot of the mek meat you see is actually from well....Mek eggs...raided from giant mek nests...That sounds a shit-load easier than hunting the bloody things.

I can imagine you could cut off quiet a few steaks from a half-developed mek fetus the size of a small bus.

Seriously though, who cares, just eat the damn things.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Forty Winks wrote:
QuoteHaha, I wonder how large the scrolls is when you type "skin bahamet" in that case.
You ineptly hack the body to pieces.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

The answer lies in oversized hunting parties.  A hunting party that went after a single mekillot would probably consist of fifteen to twenty-five hunters, at least eight of which would are half-giants and a few others would use ranged attacks to try and distract or somehow disable the mekillot.
It's even likely that a gemmer or two would be paid to assist with the hunt.

Hunting mekillots is done with relative frequency.  The reason why people laugh at PCs that declare they're going to hunt a mekillot is because these PCs often-times intend to hunt a mekillot with a party of 5 people or less, and that notion is insane and ridiculous.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

I wonder how much would the slaughterhouse in Allanak bring for a Mekillot =)

Well, Mammoths did get themselves hunted into extinction, and they werent no gazelle to be speared by a lone hunter either. Humans, especially the zalanthan sort, are very effecient at killing, providing the numbers and ingenuity. I mean, the only lizard in Zalanthan that shouldnt be dying often is a Dragon, but Utep sorted that one out I suppose.

Why do you all assume people go and hunt wild mekillots? Thats just stupid.

But if they can be used to pull wagons and stuff, then they can be domesticated, and if they can do that, then they can be farmed.
Im sure its very brutal and short (remove teeth, claws, etc) and then fatten them up, then, as the queen of hearts put it

Off with their heads!