Feelings...long lasting?

Started by Galdun, October 24, 2006, 01:40:17 PM

I've been playing around with the feel command ever since I discovered it.  Its a nice way to give your character a little more behind the scenes motivation and it differs from the 'Think' command in terms of role play.  I wish, however that whenever you used the 'Feel' command, that feeling would stick with you on your score until changed.  That way, Imms and mindbenders and others with such mental capacity could potentially see how your character feels without it being such a sudden and brief emote-like command.

- typed: Feel like the weight of the world is on ^me shoulders.

- displayed: You feel like the weight of the world is on your shoulders.

- Under Score:

You are Amos
Keywords: tall brown haired man generic
Sdesc: The tall, brown haired man
Objective: Kill some scrabs
Long Description: Code generated.
Feelings: You feel like the weight of the world is on your shoulders.

Maybe I'm nutz, but this strikes me as a cool, potentially useful idea.  Feel would still work exactly as it does, it would just add something to your score.  What do you guys think?

I wholeheartedly support this idea.

Thats quite a cool idea, but I think feelings can be quite flippant, and change quite often and very easily.

There should be an option for not having to use this function, I personally can't see myself wanting to change it every five minutes just to make sure that it actual relates to whats going on ALL THE TIME.

I've got better things to do.

Quote from: "Beux"Thats quite a cool idea, but I think feelings can be quite flippant, and change quite often and very easily.

There should be an option for not having to use this function, I personally can't see myself wanting to change it every five minutes just to make sure that it actual relates to whats going on ALL THE TIME.

I've got better things to do.

I'll let Beux speak for me from now on.

I agree with Beux.  I'd only add that feelings don't completely explain actions.  Two fatigued people might act completely different.  However, actions can usually explain feelings...

I tend to agree that feelings constantly change. With that said, would anyone be interested in a "Mental State"? Something like this would help affect one's feelings. It would also add a little bit of an insight to why a character would behave a certain way, if it is not in his/her norm.

I had a character in another MUD that started acting completely different after a certain event happened. I was asked about it, and I pretty much said the event changed my mental state from my norm to crazy.

A mental state could change over time, and it would have an effect on how a character may feel or act. Especially if the character's mental state is not normal.

This may not be necessary with the biography code, but it could be a helpful reminder to a character if he/she is not supposed to be acting their norm for whatever reason.

I think that is fully doable with what Galdun is suggesting. If you don't want to put in specific feelings and update them whenever your PC changes moods, you could use the command to instead keep track of more general states of mind.

feel -del (delete constant)
feel -v (verbose)
feel yadda bing!
quote="Tisiphone"]Just don't expect him to NOT be upset with you for trying to steal his kidney with a sharp, pointy stick.[/quote]
The weak may inherit the earth, but they won't last two hours on Zalanathas

.....You mean this isn't how it always was?
huh

This is the best thing I've heard in a while.
Quote from: Saikun
I can tell you for sure it won't be tonight. So no point in poking at it all night long. I'd suggest sleep, or failing that, take to the streets and wreak havoc.

I swear I said something to this idea when it was first put in. I'm all for lasting feelings, well, that last till logged of or changed.

And for staff, even add a time stamp. That will let them have an idea if the person forgot to change it.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

I don't see why we can't just assume they last longer. Nothing says that it only happens for one moment.

If you emote crossing your arms, people assume you are still crossing your arms until you do something that would obviously require you to uncross them, or emote uncrossing them.

Same with feel.

This has been implemented as 'change mood'.  A helpfile on it is available in-game and there is a post on the Staff Announcements forum about it.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

That's pretty neat.
b]YB <3[/b]

I've decided there's only 4 basic moods my PC will likely be using.  :wink:

Happy. Horny. Sulky. Huffy. I like the first two best though.  :twisted:
Quote from: jhunterI'm gonna show up at your home and violate you with a weedeater.  :twisted:

Oooh, I like.  Extra-cool for muls and half-elves.

Also, it's interesting to know that new dynamic character data and supporting commands can be implemented so quickly... :wink: :wink: nudgenudgetdesc.

I just wish I could control my chracter's mood.  :P
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Holy crap.  Morgenes is still kicking ass.
some of my posts are serious stuff

It will be awesome to see this in play.  

I wonder when all the spice effects and spell effects will be coded into the "mood meter"?  Maybe they already are.  I can hardly wait to start checking.

W00T!
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: "Nameless Face"I wonder when all the spice effects and spell effects will be coded into the "mood meter"?  Maybe they already are.
Ahem...I say again, "I wish I could change my character's mood."  ;)

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Out of curiousity, do people see the setting of moods a big part of maintaining their characters?  As in, do you think you'll be using it fairly often?

And would it be pretty well expected or preferred to be used, particularly by staff?

I just see it being a problem with me remembering to change it, particularly when 'drawn in' to whatever caused the mood change.  So I may end up with an inapplicable mood later, which could be pretty confusing/misleading to any immortals who attached it to the current actions.

Though...I suppose that timer idea for staff to see would solve this.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

I like this idea, and also support being able to turn it off.
...so instead of stealing an uneaten one, like a normal person, I decided I wanted the one already in her mouth."

Best movies EVAR:
1. Boondock Saints
2. Green Street Hooligans
3. Fight Club

Norman Reedus is my hero.

Quote from: "MorganChaos"I like this idea, and also support being able to turn it off.
You mean, like how '> change mood' will reset it so that there is no mood picked?

Editted to clarify, this was supposed to be an instruction on how 'change mood' would reset it...maybe I wasn't clear enough.  Apologies.  Editted for clarity.

Quote from: "spawnloser"
Quote from: "MorganChaos"I like this idea, and also support being able to turn it off.
You mean, like a '> change mood' would reset it so that there is no mood picked?

I only read like the first five posts, I'm saying I support the idea and also agree with what Beux said. About not wanting to have to change it constantly, so we should have option to add it to score or not.
...so instead of stealing an uneaten one, like a normal person, I decided I wanted the one already in her mouth."

Best movies EVAR:
1. Boondock Saints
3. Fight Club

You might want to try reading the whole thread.  This has been implemented as a 'change mood'.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Oh.  :oops:

Best movies EVAR:
1. Boondock Saints
3. Fight Club