Tattoo accuracy vs. Zalanthan technology

Started by leaf, October 23, 2006, 12:05:21 AM

Modern tattoo needles are very complex and fine, basically metal needles that route ink through very fine channels into the skin punctures.

However, Zalanthas doesn't seem to rely on metal for the vast majority of tattoo needles, implying to me that most people would use the more primitive technique of puncturing the skin with bone or chitin needles (that must, by necessity be larger than the metal needles that modern tattoo artists use) and smearing the ink on or dropping it onto the wounds.

So, given that, why do we have so many incredibly detailed and perfect intricate tattoos of multi-colored naked women with dice in their left hand and a mole on their left cheek type tattoos? Are people just forgetting the theme? Should the staff be paying closer attention to these on applications and in building?

Here are some examples of how I would have envisioned Zalanthan-technology tattoos to be:

http://www.travelcentre.com.au/travel/australasia/new_zealand/Images/Maori_tattoo3%20copy.JPG
http://www.picturecontact.com/Images/Items/JDW07991-L.jpg
http://www.califmall.com/markajohnson/Chin18.jpg

Good point. I never actually thought about that.
b]YB <3[/b]

Maybe they use glass needles, or the teeth of certain animals.

Ever looked at how the japanese did tattoos for centuries?
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Dude, the guy in your first picture, of a Maori wearing a moko (facial tattoo) has his drawn on with vivid. Not a great representation.

Also the form of tatau are cultural in nature, such as the Samoan mans leg tatau.  The crudeness of the form is often related to the cultural patterns - naked woman tattoos not being quite the style needed to depict your heritage on your skin in polynesia.

While I agree, detail is best achieved by a fine needle I have also seen some great outcomes using bone, chisel etc. I think that some adaptations may be possible to achieve many of the tattoo art we have on zalanthas, though the more simplified versions are most likely more prominent.
"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.

And the huge price difference between the simpler tattoos and the more complex ones do a good job of representing the greater difficulty, in my opinion.

Quote from: "spawnloser"

No, do tell. Every mention I found, with the exception of Samoa mentioned the use of metal needles. The Samoa example noted bone, but nothing I've been able to find online about their culture suggests multi-colored tattoos of great intricacy.

Quote from: "Adhira"
Dude, the guy in your first picture, of a Maori wearing a moko (facial tattoo) has his drawn on with vivid. Not a great representation.

Ok, good point - but I think the lines would still be representative. I think the main issue I have is the multi-color and very fine detail given the size of the bone and chitin needles. Even most of the tribal customs I've seen get intricate results from metal needles, and dye dripping is super hard to do some of the things I've seen in game with. I'm happy to provide examples in e-mail.

Getting more complex tattoos with simple tools I do beleive is quite possible and feasbile it'd just be a longer process, and wouldn't be possible to do in one sitting.

I've seen some pretty complex tattoos done in real life using guitar string and thread to hold the ink ... It's metal still but not exactly a tiny needle ... It just takes more applications and may not be nearly as long lasting as one done with a modern tat gun.

But then I'm not nearly that knowledgable, but I've seen it done so I know it's possible.
21sters Unite!

When I was in Samoa I seen a guy that uses bird bone needles and a -lot- of time to make work worthy of HnH. So I think tattoo guns and metal aren't needed in any way except as a huge time saver.
quote="Tisiphone"]Just don't expect him to NOT be upset with you for trying to steal his kidney with a sharp, pointy stick.[/quote]
The weak may inherit the earth, but they won't last two hours on Zalanathas

Quote from: "leaf"

No, do tell. Every mention I found, with the exception of Samoa mentioned the use of metal needles. The Samoa example noted bone, but nothing I've been able to find online about their culture suggests multi-colored tattoos of great intricacy.
They used knives and got as intricate as you see in this image: http://i15.ebayimg.com/01/i/07/57/24/06_1.JPG

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Ask somebody who has went to prison, I figure the zalanthans have many ways to do it, as these guys can do it with just about anything.
For FantasyWriter:
Never again will I be a fool, I will from now on, wrap my tool.

I'm polynesian, I've seen people getting tattooed with bone and chisel. They can do super-fine detail, however it takes a LONG time. The reason for the simple design and 'crudity' of the polynesian tattoo, in my opinion, is cultural.  Colour does not really come into the tattoo art form as there was never the material to make coloured dye.

Those swirls, dots, lines, etc, mean something and most often mimic their artwork.

I agree, fine detail, and multicolour is a little bit further along the tattoo chain. However, I think that given there is magick, mysterious creatures with different bone structure etc we can probably push the boundaries of actual reality for the game to imagine they might be able to come up with incredibly detailed nekkid ladies to perch on your shoulder.
"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.

Perched?  Damn, I want a nekkid lady perched on my shoulder...

...only if she's a hottie, though.

Quote from: "creeper386"Getting more complex tattoos with simple tools I do beleive is quite possible and feasbile it'd just be a longer process, and wouldn't be possible to do in one sitting.

I couldn't agree more.  I have tattoos done with several different methods, from hand-poke to tattoo-shop gun.  With a gun, it's possible to use up to, I think, 18 (if not more) needles at the same time to cover large swaths of skin all at once.  On the other hand, the "poke" method takes -forever,- but there's no limit to the intricacy one can achieve.  Think of it like drawing a picture on a computer one pixel at a time.

Here's a few pictures that I hope will help.

Done with a stick with needles attached to the end of it to slowly punch the ink into the skin:
http://www.geocities.com/jomafirom15/japanese_traditional.jpg

And a photo of the tool, covered with ink:
http://www.bmezine.com/tattoo/A60529/high/bmepb278698.jpg

Another hand-poke tattoo:
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABPub/2005/01/26/2002161114.jpg

IG-wise, I would love to see tattoos have a lag when you buy them.  Now, it's like *poof*, you got a tatt, see ya later.  But in real life these things hurt like hell and take a good week to four weeks to heal.  An echo would be wonderful as well, something like, "The big, ugly tattooist carefully works the design into your skin, leaving it feeling raw and sore."
Quote from: manonfire on November 04, 2013, 08:11:36 AM
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

I'd like to see some HP loss if you get a tattoo while drunk.

I bled like a stuck pig when I got mine. :P

I watched my buddy get inked at a body art expo thingy last year. He had a series of japanese words with a totem poll down his back and side. It was done with bone and chisel, and it is VERY intricate. It actually looks better than all mine that were done with a gun.

I'd say nearly all of the tattoos ig are doable with zalanthan technology. If the tattoo is intricate this is very well accounted for by the cost of the tattoo. Keep in mind that most houses ig pay around 300-400 sid a month and some of the nicer tattoos are around 1,000 sid. Imagine saving up every penny for two and a half months irl just to get a pimp tattoo on your forearm.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Quote from: "leaf"
They used knives and got as intricate as you see in this image: http://i15.ebayimg.com/01/i/07/57/24/06_1.JPG

Thank you for mentioning this. You can make a tattoo from any wound in the flesh, just by applying ink and letting the wound heal with the ink inside. Knives, razors, and needles can all me used, as long as they puncture the skin.

Some people make tattoo's of their wounds, IRL. I recall Steve-o getting bit by a snake and smearing ink on it, so it would become a tattoo, and several people will get bitten by a small shark, and will smear ink on it, so the scars will be inked.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.