View

Started by drunkendwarf, March 04, 2003, 05:21:51 PM

Quick question:
How come the info you get from using 'view' changes when the item is held by a merchant vs yourself? I think it might be nice to be able to tell how many stones a bag may hold, etc. while it is in your inventory. There a way to do this I'm missing?
Also -
How about a way to tell what kind of weapon (slashing, piercing, etc) something is by examining it? The descriptions usually tell you, but not always...and sometimes they are deceiving.

Quote from: "drunkendwarf"How about a way to tell what kind of weapon (slashing, piercing, etc) something is by examining it?

assess -v <item> is your friend.  I can't think of any coded mechanism to gauge the capacity of a container off the top of my head, though.
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

Quote from: "Lazloth"I can't think of any coded mechanism to gauge the capacity of a container off the top of my head, though.
I COULD be wrong, but I thought value did that.

Does value tell you how much an item can hold?

Furthermore- I've concluded to myself (I'm probably wrong) that the number you get for those commands varies everytime you do it, kind've like your character's estimation of its capacity.
hang is actually...

that depends on how good your value skill is
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Not just for value:  for view as well.  (when estimating capacity)
hang is actually...

Well, That I have found to be true
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

It seems like those two stats should be controlled by different skills. Sure, a mercantile character would be better able to understand how much something is worth. But would he be a better judge of its capacity? I have trouble seeing the connection there.

Yeah, I've never understood why determining an item's weight or carrying capacity was skill dependent.  I know  I can tell the difference between 10 pounds and one pound in real life yet my PCs are remarkably bad judges at it.

I'm not sure if this has been fixed yet, as it has been a long time since I've held a bow in my hands. However, as things once stood you could 'view' a bow in a store (behind a counter, on a shelf, whatnot) and see if it was a good compliment to your strength. However, assessing the same bow after having purchased it, told you zilch about how it related to your strength.

This has been both bugged, posted about, and also brought up in player/staff meetings (I believe Halaster said he'd take a look at it). If it's been already fixed, Hallelujah! If not, it's definitely something that I feel needs to be, not only because it completely unrealistic to be able to guess the strength behind a counter but -not- when in your hands, but because it's also a pain in the arse. :wink:

-Dwarven Gigolo
eauty is a form of genius - is higher, indeed, than genius, as it needs no explanation. It is of the great facts in the world like sunlight, or springtime, or the reflection in dark water of that silver shell we call the moon.
-Oscar Wilde