Thanking the Imms

Started by Testing, October 05, 2006, 01:16:25 AM

Excuse me if this question has been asked before, but I'm curious about proper procedure for thanking an Imm for helping you out.

First off if you wish for something and they come to your aid, how do you thank them for the help?  Just wish "thank you?"  OOC "thank you?"  Or are you supposed to pretend like it never happened and just keep going in the spirit of RP?

Second off I was wondering how Imms feel about being thanked over e-mail.  I know that you guys get tons and tons of e-mail from people, so I feel bad cluttering the inboxes.  On the other hand, I don't feel like your good deeds should go without at the very least some heartfelt praise.  When you do something nice for someone, would you rather they e-mail you and thank you or not?

Hmm, this might be better in Ask the Staff.  If I've been helped on a quick, one time event in game I'd probably wish up with a thanks, especially if I wished up for the interaction in the first place.  

Beyond that, I don't like to clutter email, either... so using the Kudos portion of the Request tool is cool.  Just remember to include enough information that the staffer can be properly recognized, such as:  

Their name if you know who it was,
The sdesc of the npc and time inhabited,
The desc of any items gained/fixed for you,
A good description of the scene(s) or long term plots involved.

I'd only email thanks if I knew exactly what staff member it was, or if it was a long-term achievement with a clan (or clanless) staff presence.  The Kudos tool is pretty neat, though.

I've been told on various occasions to use wish all when communicating with the staff.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

If it's an OOC problem and they've been speaking to me OOC'ly, then I always say thank you, on ooc, its just courtesy damnit and we've been ooc'ing anyway. If they've been ooc'ly helping over the crazy imm wish channel, then i wish thank you, again courtesy. If their help was to jump into an NPC or bring some life and magic to the IC world, then I keep it IC - I'm sure they know its appreciated,

I can't speak for all staff, but I'm sure most people feel pretty much the same.

We're human, we like to feel appreciated, wishing up to say thanks after we've assisted you is great. Thanks for doing that.

Emailing in a thankyou is also great, there have been times when those rare thanks via email have really made me smile and made me feel good about the work I do on the mud.

Now that we have the request tool staff kudos can be left there, and it's always nice to read through those and see one that refers to something you've done.  

We don't expect thanks for every little thing we do, it's part of our role as immortals to do so, but if you feel that someone has gone out of their way, helped you significantly or when you didn't expect it, or just done a good job with your clan, or character then by all means, I encourage you to use the request tool and submit a staff kudos.
"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.

If we talk to you oocly, it's ok to ooc a quick thank you. Politeness stil counts, even on the internet.

If you wish all to us, and we help you, doing a quick wish all to just say thank you is fine.

If we play with you extensively, or otherwise interact with you in such a way that you are thrilled, wowed, or more greatful than a quick "thank you" can satisfy for you, use the request tool. The advantage of this is that all the staff sees it and can idolize us appropriately.

;)
nless explicitly stated, the opinions of this poster do not necessarily represent all staff.

Halaster the Shroud of Death sings, in unnaturally gutteral sirihish:
    "S
     T
     F
     U"