Started by MorganChaos, October 04, 2006, 02:38:17 PM

Would you like to see this idea?

yes
31 (91.2%)
no
3 (8.8%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Voting closed: October 04, 2006, 02:45:19 PM

I think a fairly easy idea that would make gameplay much easier is numbered crafting options.

craft marble

You can make 1. a few hand-sized chunks of green marble
2. a green marble bracelet from that.

craft marble into #2

You begin cutting the marble into a bracelet.

Esp when you're on telnet, away from your mud client, it's really hard to accurately type "a few hand-sized chunks of green marble," so you have to try three times. This has no potential for abuse (not really. Spam crafting is already pretty close to impossible due to the delay), and would make life much, much simpler.

(edited to add the poll cause it didn't go in first time)
...so instead of stealing an uneaten one, like a normal person, I decided I wanted the one already in her mouth."

Best movies EVAR:
1. Boondock Saints
2. Green Street Hooligans
3. Fight Club

Norman Reedus is my hero.

Holy god yes...
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you

Agreed
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
     -Douglas Adams

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
     -Douglas Adams

They may have to number ALL recipes in the system, though, depending on how this can be implemented.  It'd suck to have to 'craft stone into 126432' just as much as it does now.  Now you can remember some of the recipes and how they're worded so that you don't have to 'craft stone' ...pause, and then 'craft stone into stone club of doom' afterwards.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: "spawnloser"They may have to number ALL recipes in the system, though, depending on how this can be implemented.  It'd suck to have to 'craft stone into 126432' just as much as it does now.  Now you can remember some of the recipes and how they're worded so that you don't have to 'craft stone' ...pause, and then 'craft stone into stone club of doom' afterwards.

*frown* I wouldn't think so. I don't know why it would be tied to the keyword and not the item.
...so instead of stealing an uneaten one, like a normal person, I decided I wanted the one already in her mouth."

Best movies EVAR:
1. Boondock Saints
3. Fight Club

Providing it could be implemented easily, it couldn't hurt.

Hey, I don't know all the ins and outs of how the crafting system is coded...and if it could have a system that would number just the recipes you can currently craft or if they'd have to be numbered beforehand in the database.  That's all I'm saying.  I don't know how feasible it is, the way you picture it, and if it goes the way I fear it might have to, I'd rather stick with what we go than have to type out a string of essentially random numbers that I can't remember due to the fact that there is no relation between number and recipe.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Well, you would still be able to type the string out. Like when dealing with merchants, you can buy #6 or buy cloak. The number wouldn't be mandatory.

Best movies EVAR:
1. Boondock Saints
3. Fight Club

I don't see why you'd need to number each object uniquely, when you're only dealing with a specific number of objects that appear on your "craft item" list.

Everyone could share certain things and have things others can't do, and it would still work just fine. It's the placement on the list that matters, not the object itself. All it would do is send an automatic alias through the server to the code, which would translate it back to the full string. I don't know how difficult to code it would be in this game's code, but in C# it's 3 lines of code. I know, because I just did it :)
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I like this idea a lot and don't see why it shouldn't be implemented if it's not a huge project. I don't know anything about coding but I wouldn't think each and every craftable item would need a number, you just add numbers to the options you get when typing 'craft stone' or whatever, similar to the way shops work. I suggested something similar a while ago, only my idea was to use a single word from the recipe, such as 'craft flour into cakes'.
b]YB <3[/b]

Quote from: "Hymwen"I like this idea a lot and don't see why it shouldn't be implemented if it's not a huge project. I don't know anything about coding but I wouldn't think each and every craftable item would need a number, you just add numbers to the options you get when typing 'craft stone' or whatever, similar to the way shops work. I suggested something similar a while ago, only my idea was to use a single word from the recipe, such as 'craft flour into cakes'.

The only problem with that is sometimes there's more than one "cakes" or "ring" on the list and you end up with the wrong thing.

I think this is still one of the more major weaknesses in the crafting system.

Best movies EVAR:
1. Boondock Saints
3. Fight Club

I really like this idea, good work!
quote="Tisiphone"]Just don't expect him to NOT be upset with you for trying to steal his kidney with a sharp, pointy stick.[/quote]
The weak may inherit the earth, but they won't last two hours on Zalanathas

All they have to do is base the list numerically off what can be crafted at that point.  Logic looks like this:

>craft object1 object2

<CODE>
This player can make the following:
product1
product3
product16
product21

Output list to player:
You can craft the following --
1. product1
2. product3
3. product16
4. product 21
</CODE>

>craft object1 object2 into #4

See?
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you

It's not even that involved really. Not exactly pseudocode, but here's more or less how it could work:

User types (input)
>craft bone
Output:
You can craft that into:
1. a bone necklace
2. a bone earring
3. a bone doodad
4. a bone widget

User types (input)
>craft bone into #4
Code translates #4 as "a bone widget" and sends input as "a bone widget" then outputs the echo and attempt code.

The only difference between the current code and a new code is the translation itself, which would take however many lines of code as this game's code requires for translations, such as the ones for merchant NPCs. Virtually, it's turning the PC's own crafting list into the merchant NPC, who produces the object dependent on success/failure of the craft code.

L. Stanson

Ya but what they're saying, Lizzie, is that you would then need to assign a number to every object in the database.  How does the code know that #4 is a bone widget?  That's what my post was about.  It would assign an arbitrary placeholder number (by way of a simple numbered list) based on what the player is able to craft from given ingredients, rather than applying categorically unique numbers to every single craftable item.
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you

Quote from: "bardbard#4"Ya but what they're saying, Lizzie, is that you would then need to assign a number to every object in the database.  How does the code know that #4 is a bone widget?  That's what my post was about.  It would assign an arbitrary placeholder number (by way of a simple numbered list) based on what the player is able to craft from given ingredients, rather than applying categorically unique numbers to every single craftable item.

It knows, the same way it knows that the item exists on your list of things you can craft. Dealing with object numbers can get really complex. Dealing with text strings - telling the code function to simply replace the string called #4 with the other half of that text string - the half, that appears on your craft list next to the string (not the numeric value, but the keyboard's text entry) #4, called "bone widget." You're not asking for the 4th item. You're asking for a text string. It's the difference between saying:

Please replace #1 with the item known as a bone widget

and

Please replace "number one" with "bone widget."

I can't really explain it any better in non-coding terms, but hopefully coder-types of people will know what I'm trying to say.

L. Stanson

It works some way in shops, I don't know how the code works and whether soemthing similar would be possible, but it would definitely be neat.
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

por favor
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

Quote from: "Lizzie"
Quote from: "bardbard#4"Ya but what they're saying, Lizzie, is that you would then need to assign a number to every object in the database.  How does the code know that #4 is a bone widget?  That's what my post was about.  It would assign an arbitrary placeholder number (by way of a simple numbered list) based on what the player is able to craft from given ingredients, rather than applying categorically unique numbers to every single craftable item.

It knows, the same way it knows that the item exists on your list of things you can craft. Dealing with object numbers can get really complex. Dealing with text strings - telling the code function to simply replace the string called #4 with the other half of that text string - the half, that appears on your craft list next to the string (not the numeric value, but the keyboard's text entry) #4, called "bone widget." You're not asking for the 4th item. You're asking for a text string. It's the difference between saying:

Please replace #1 with the item known as a bone widget

and

Please replace "number one" with "bone widget."

I can't really explain it any better in non-coding terms, but hopefully coder-types of people will know what I'm trying to say.

L. Stanson

So in other words we're saying the exact same thing.
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you

They could set it up to number the way the shops number shit.

List

#1 Sword of d00m.
#2 Sword of doomslaying.
#3 and so on doomer.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime