No Subguild?

Started by Rhyden, September 30, 2006, 12:21:14 AM

You all give me a warm fuzzy feeling inside.

I would just pick Linguist. That can never be a bad thing.
Fear not death, for it is your destiny.

Quote from: "spawnloser"I maintain my stance, if you have a skill, you have the skill...if you don't want the skill, have it removed by the staff.  I'm sure they'll do so if you ask.

What a waste of staff resources, to cater to your inability to ignore a listed skill.

Ridiculous.

Quote from: "Flaming Ocotillo"
Quote from: "Rhyden"What do people think of having the option to pick no subguild? I've had moments where my character's subguild was completely uneccessary and wished I had the option of having no subguild at all.

Was this thread meant to be serious, or was it meant as an experiment to see how many people would invest the time to respond seriously? I suspect it's just an experiment that's turned out rather amusing to the original poster, because so many people have invested the time to find clever and carefully planned ways to pick subguilds that don't give you any extra coded skills.

It's always amusing for me to see how carefully planned posts are on the GDB. This was not an experiment though, I just tossed the idea out to the players, much like an owner tosses a piece of raw meat out to a pack of wild dogs.

:)

Say so if you want, FO, but that's the only way your character won't really know anything about said skill.  Also, the staff has said they are more than happy to remove skills and lower stats at any time.  I don't think this is a waste.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I have a bunch of skills on my list that I'm ignoring. And they're part of my main guild, not my subguild. They don't have much to do with my character so I, the player and puppeteer, have chosen to intentionally ignore them. I'm not using them, the code of things my character does, doesn't use them, and I see no reason to bother the staff to have them removed when it's much easier and efficient to just pretend they aren't there.

If some day my character desires to use them, maybe they will. But I don't think I'm obligated to do so if I want to be considered a "good" roleplayer. A good roleplayer focuses on the role they have created for their character, and not the coded list of skills. And that goes for -not- using skills they feel their character has no need for or interest in, in addition to using the ones they feel are an integral part of their character's life.

L. Stanson
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

There's a difference between saying your character doesn't have a skill and not using said skill, Lizzie.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I think it's ok to assume that skills on your skill list are things your character has a knack for, not necessarily things your character has spent time doing in the past.  

For most skills your first attempts with low skill level won't be much better than a character that doesn't have the skill on their list at all.  What you have is the potential to develop that skill, not expertise in the skill.  There are some exceptions, like craft skills that you can not even attempt without the skill.  But even with a crafting skill on your list you aren't really good at that skill until you've worked it a little in play.

On the other hand, it is easy to justify almost any skill without denying that your character knows a little about it.  Little kids get into stuff, and go all sorts of places that they maybe shouldn't be, and often they won't get run off as long as they aren't disruptive.  So even if you never used a skill, you might have seen enough to pick up the very basics, enough to know where to start.
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Why not just take linguist?
Malifaxis has UBER board skills

I'd say that linguist is one of the worst subguilds you can take if you want to play with "no subguild". Why?

1) it gives you a pretty big advantage in the form of two fluent langauges, and not only that, but it's a passive advantage, not one that you can choose not to use.

2) it's one of the subguilds that require some degree of roleplay. You have to at least have a reason for speaking these languages fluently, and picking this subguild pretty much demands that you, at the very least, include it in your background.

http://www.armageddon.org/rp/subguilds/linguist.html
b]YB <3[/b]

Why is this necessary, exactly?  Can't you resolve simply to not use skills that don't pertain to your concept?

Quote from: "Xygax"Why is this necessary, exactly?  Can't you resolve simply to not use skills that don't pertain to your concept?

It's not. I had an understanding that a subguild was partly the profession/talents of your character. Now, I see they're just skills. My questions have been answered. Thanks all.

I think people reacted to this a little strongly. Personally, I don't see how it'd hurt anybody to have the option available to them.
*shrug*
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

Quote from: "FiveDisgruntledMonkeysWit"I think people reacted to this a little strongly.

I could write a thread called 'Why Zalanthas is a Desert Planet' and people would still react strongly, disagree with each other and find a way to flame.  :wink:

Quote from: "Sholdyn"You all give me a warm fuzzy feeling inside.

I would just pick Linguist. That can never be a bad thing.

I'd disagree with this. I pick linguist frequently and there's a set of rp that should go along with it, like with any guild or a lot of the other subguilds. I wouldn't like it at all if someone picked linguist just because they couldn't pick anything else, and didn't roleplay it at all.
...so instead of stealing an uneaten one, like a normal person, I decided I wanted the one already in her mouth."

Best movies EVAR:
1. Boondock Saints
2. Green Street Hooligans
3. Fight Club

Norman Reedus is my hero.