Name Bank

Started by Barzalene, September 23, 2006, 07:20:59 PM

The name bank link is http://namebank.blogspot.com

A few weeks back we talked about name traditions and recycling names, (not our own of course.) I really liked the idea and thought some other people did as well. So, I thought wouldn't it be great if we had like a library of arm names. And some would be used often and some might not be used at all, but the possiblity of naming traditions grows more likely with this repository.

Now if I was a web guru, I'd have made a site where you'd type your name in and it would get added to a list. But I'm not. So, I made a blog.

The way it should work is this: posting one name each time as an anonymous poster you add your name in the "Names In" thread. (One at a time because if you posted as a list, people would be tempted to play name the player, which isn't the purpose of the whole thing.) At regular intervals (of no more than a month) I'll go through and alphabetize and slort the submissions into a list.

The "names out" thread is for when someone sees a name on the list and decides to use it. Just to get an idea of which names are most popular. This of course is not necessary. It can certainly be removed if it seems to some how convey ic information that it should not.

The link is here.
Suggestions on how to improve the process are welcome.[/url]
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Not sure whether we were supposed to post here or as comments on the blog, but the latter isn't possible due to the blog settings.

How about dividing names by region? That way we can have names common in Tuluk, etc? Some tribal clans especially should have their own naming systems (and some already do).

Excellent Ideas. I'll work on that, and check the settings.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Actually, maybe I should wait for a staff ok before letting people post. I'll let everyone know when we go live. But I've reformatted as per Kelason's suggestions.

What about racial names too? Will there be a way to see what the top ten names are?

Do I need to add various races as well? Or is geographical sufficient?

As for top ten, I thought I'd just make a word doc and each time a new post is made just add it. Once a month sort it.

like:

Amos
Amos
Amos
Malik
Bob
Malik

Would become

Amos 3
Bob
Malik 2

I'm sure that there is a better way to do this. But... I'm not that talented.

Great idea, B.  I like it, and I'm glad someone's taken the time to put this together.  Good stuff.
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

A wiki-format page would be great for this.  Maybe the staff could even put up a mediawiki (same engine as wikipedia) page for this purpose.
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you

I absolutely agree. That would rock. The implimentation can definitely be improved upon, and I'm happy to work with or surrended the project to, anyone willing to take it on.- as long as it's kept up.

I think this will be really cool, and I like that you have it broken up into different regions.
So if you're tired of the same old story
Oh, turn some pages. - "Roll with the Changes," REO Speedwagon

Yeah, they definitely should be seperated into region, race, gender, and social class.

Any progress on this?
I think it's a great idea!
quote="Dakkon Black"]Found salty oasis. Actually mek pee.[/quote]

Still waiting for a go ahead from staff.

We Must have some coders out there that could whip up a database that names could be entered into, sorted and displayed automatically...

Don't get me wrong Barz, I think it's horsum you're doing it. :D Just recon someone could probably take the info/names you've got already and make a leet resource for the site.

Quote from: "Beux"We Must have some coders out there that could whip up a database that names could be entered into, sorted and displayed automatically...

Don't get me wrong Barz, I think it's horsum you're doing it. :D Just recon someone could probably take the info/names you've got already and make a leet resource for the site.

I take no offense. I entirely agree. Sadly I can't make anyone do it, so I'm just going with what I can do.

w00t! Thank you Sanvean.

It's live and people can post. Please let me know if you have any issues.

Cool!

Why isn't anyone posting?
So if you're tired of the same old story
Oh, turn some pages. - "Roll with the Changes," REO Speedwagon

Part of it is that i have to approve each post. It's taking a little extra time because I've had to do a bit of re-editing. Please note, that the best way to do this is one name at a time. And with a little tag with race. (half elves I guess just chose whichever race with which they more closely identified) and with humans note if they were noble or common in the two large cities.

Edited to remove crankiness.

Heh, damnit!  While mudding, you expect me to take that much time away from the mud to read instructions?
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Ack!  I also screwed up and put a bunch of names in one post, very sorry about that.

Yay. I'm excited you posted.

Could we make this a sticky please?
And if Barzalene could edit the first post to include foolproof instructions on how to post?
I'm off to post some names right now.
Good work Barzalene.
quote="Dakkon Black"]Found salty oasis. Actually mek pee.[/quote]