Suggestions for desert quit ability.

Started by hcwalker, September 23, 2006, 12:41:01 PM

Poll on desert quit suggestions:

All of these changes would be awesome!
7 (20.6%)
I like some of these changes, but not all of them.
3 (8.8%)
I don't like these suggestions.
17 (50%)
Have I done my laundry yet?
7 (20.6%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Voting closed: September 23, 2006, 01:43:20 PM

quit rooms in the desert aren't OOC. They seem to make sense. A cave. A place with some shade. An old broken caravan.

Just because you have to find them first doesn't make them OOC. It makes it sensible. What, do you want little shanties off the north road?

Quote from: "Agent_137"quit rooms in the desert aren't OOC. They seem to make sense. A cave. A place with some shade. An old broken caravan.

Just because you have to find them first doesn't make them OOC. It makes it sensible. What, do you want little shanties off the north road?

Of course. That's not what I mean though.

What I mean, is that the fact that you as a player know where they are possibly from knowledge gained via a previous character, is OOC knowledge.

So unless you're planning to justify *why* you know where that cave in the desert is in every background of any char you intend to utilitize it with and select a subclass to support it, you as a player, have an OOC advantage over another player who has never found said cave with his previous characters.

Though, that player, may have a background and a subclass that would indicate he/she was more adept at surviving in the wastes then you.

Much in the same way that my salarri merchant may oocly know the rinth better then your rinther. In times of near death my salarri isn't going to pretend to be lost, odds are I'll probably just high tail it to a quit room and be like "Woa, lucky me."

The fact is, is that your rinther should be just as apt, if not more apt at quiting out in his given "environment" as my salarri merchant. My OOC knowledge shouldn't give me an advantage over your IC background.

Make sense?

The addition of desert quit as a skill creates a sensible balance between OC experience and IC classes.

I'm not against quit rooms, quit rooms should still exist and allow players with low desert quit skill levels to leave the game without penalty.
If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

I'm certainly not against quit rooms in the desert.  I didn't bring this topic up for discussion because I don't know where the quit rooms are in the desert.

I don't think anyone should lose hit points or stun if they fail quitting.  Just stamina.  And if they are a non-ranger trying to quit, they should lose a LOT of stamina, whether they succeed or fail.

I don't think it should be so difficult that you can't quickly and reliably quit in the desert, particularly if you're a ranger.  I have a busy career and a busy life outside of work, so I often have to quit suddenly for OOC reasons.

Now for a non-ranger, if there is a 40% chance of success and you lose significant stamina upon failure or success -- I would think that would be reasonable since you are not a completely desert-adept.  And quitting in the desert would not be something to do lightly.

I don't think this would lessen the power of rangers at all.  Rangers will remain very, very useful for a variety of reasons.  And they still would be able to quit in the desert basically as they do now.  And if the group quit skill were implemented, it might make rangers even more useful.

Regarding group quit, I agree that it has cosmetic appeal to some degree, but implementation would be more tricky.  How many people could quit if a camp were made?  How do you handle it when they log back in?  I guess the camp would no longer be there maybe a RL day later and people would reenter the game independently (or decide on a RL time to reconvene in the area where they made camp previously).

Thanks to everyone for their feedback.

Quote from: "hcwalker"

I don't think anyone should lose hit points or stun if they fail quitting.  Just stamina.  And if they are a non-ranger trying to quit, they should lose a LOT of stamina, whether they succeed or fail.

The reason I have such a hard on for HP loss is this: Previously the staff has made mention that the lack of desert quit in the general population was a great deterent to individuals spending large amount of time outdoors and as a result helped to concentrate the playerbase in cities and therefore served to facilitate more RP.

To some extent, I believe this is important and so as a result while I am strongly for desert quit, I feel it should have some harsh repercusions so that it's only used in emergency situations. I think what we don't want is the desert filled with 100 wandering warrior nomads who spend every waking hour in the wastes and build their skill over a few days so that they are essentially warrior/rangers.

So, for me, a stamina drain is *not* enough of a deterent. A large HP drain while harsh as hell, accomplishes 1 thing.

It forces you to need to sleep prior to getting regen.

Which is quite easily the MOST dangerous thing you can do in the desert. If that was the penalty, you can be damn sure that non-rangers would only use desert quit in the event of an "Oh shit, I gotta go" moment.

We need desert quit really bad. BUT we need players to *not* take desert quit lightly at all. If they do, the game will suck. Be sure of it.

Case in point: SOI.

Go to a city in SOI. It's filled with a whole lot of no one. Because everyone is wandering around making camps.

www.j03m.com

QuoteWhat I mean, is that the fact that you as a player know where they are possibly from knowledge gained via a previous character, is OOC knowledge.

It makes total sense and you're absolutely correct. But that's the same with every single damn piece of information in this game.

Have a character that learned a lot about poison, and dies?

Well, what if you make another character later. All of a sudden you have an OOC knowledge advantage! Do you use it?

And the answer is the same across the board: Not unless it's reasonably included in your background, and isn't "super sekret" information.

So, for a warrior thug to include poisoning information in his background is a bit off. But a warrior physician? That makes sense.

The issue of how to use or not use OOC knowledge is an issue we deal with every day. No need to legislate it with code.

Quote from: "Agent_137"
QuoteWhat I mean, is that the fact that you as a player know where they are possibly from knowledge gained via a previous character, is OOC knowledge.

It makes total sense and you're absolutely correct. But that's the same with every single damn piece of information in this game.

Have a character that learned a lot about poison, and dies?

Well, what if you make another character later. All of a sudden you have an OOC knowledge advantage! Do you use it?

And the answer is the same across the board: Not unless it's reasonably included in your background, and isn't "super sekret" information.

So, for a warrior thug to include poisoning information in his background is a bit off. But a warrior physician? That makes sense.

The issue of how to use or not use OOC knowledge is an issue we deal with every day. No need to legislate it with code.

I agree with you on most things save for quitting.  I feel quitting is a special case.

Essentially that OOC knowledge allows you the OOC freedom of being able to leave the game at your own will, where as someone else can not.  This skill would make the game better, more realistic and most importantly more playable.

www.j03m.com

Well, see, i don't go do dangerous things away from quit zones unless I have time to return to a quit zone -and- have the expected lack of serious interruptions.

So the "playability" issue here is only such that I can do more risky activities more often. And honestly, that's not -that- important to me, and probably not that important to many others. So when you're proposing sweeping  changes to how things are, it's not necessarily worth it, even if it's a good idea.

Quote from: "Agent_137"Well, see, i don't go do dangerous things away from quit zones unless I have time to return to a quit zone -and- have the expected lack of serious interruptions.

So the "playability" issue here is only such that I can do more risky activities more often. And honestly, that's not -that- important to me, and probably not that important to many others. So when you're proposing sweeping  changes to how things are, it's not necessarily worth it, even if it's a good idea.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

www.j03m.com

Well, yea, it's not even a matter of opinion, it's a matter of how much we place importance on what aspects of the game.

It's taste.

But personally, as long as you fuck everyone who's not a ranger sufficiently hard enough for quitting out in the desert without a normal quit point, i'd not mind a bit if the changes went in.

Quote from: "Agent_137"
But personally, as long as you fuck everyone who's not a ranger sufficiently hard enough for quitting out in the desert without a normal quit point, i'd not mind a bit if the changes went in.

I'm totally down with fucking them.

As long as they are pretty. And smell nice. ;)

But in all seriousness, yea.

www.j03m.com