Wisdom

Started by Kelen, September 10, 2006, 05:29:34 PM

So is wisdom just useless if your not a mage, or was it changed to affect how quickly you learn -everything-, including combat?
And when they say that I am dead and gone, it won't be further from the truth..."

Everything.

It also affects other things.

It is very un-useless.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

There are (as far as I can tell) no dump stats on ArmageddonMUD.  

QuoteAgility is an ability score that measures all types of physical coordination and swiftness. Hand-eye coordination, reaction time, balance, depth perception, and reflexes are all types of characteristics measured by agility.

The agility score is used to determine speed of reaction in combat, missile fire bonuses, ability to dodge objects, escape capture, avoid dangerous spell effects, leap across distances, climb walls, and picking pockets of unsuspecting bystanders.

Endurance is an ability score that measures the maximum amount of wear and tear that your character's body can withstand. Instances where endurance is used are: to determine hit points, and stun points; when poison is encountered; resistance to hostile transformations (such as polymorphing); living through extreme physical shock; and walking across long distances.

Strength is an attribute that measures one's physical prowess, which is made up of size, muscle mass, and sheer power. This attribute affects several things within the game world, such as the amount of weight you can carry before you begin to suffer penalties, how hard you hit in combat, and modifiers on subduing the inhabitants of Zalanthas.

Wisdom  (Character)  
This attribute is the mental capacity of a character, being made up of both his/her knowledge, intelligence, and ability to learn. On Zalanthas, those who have high wisdom often learn from their mistakes quicker, magickers regenerate faster, and languages are picked up more easily.

The swarthy, enthusiastic templar says, in tatlum:
"Boo Useless Dump Stats... Hoo-ray Help-Files!"

Edited for humor.

What happened to Lord Templar Hard Nose?
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: "LauraMars"What happened to Lord Templar Hard Nose?
I think he got assassinated.
Or maybe he confiscated some spice.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Wisdom is the most useful stat for magickers, but I'd say right after magicker, the warrior guild benefits most from a high wisdom.

Since wisdom reflects how quickly you learn, and warriors are so dependent on combat skills (weapon skills, parry, dual wield, etc) with the highest cap percentages, they have the longest journey to go with raising their combat skills, and eventually have a hard time failing them for the raise. Other guilds can get away with learning one skill to make themselves shine (i.e. backstab or archery as examples), but warriors need to raise several combat skills to become good at what they do best.

It's a long learning road for warrior (and some of the other guild paths) with a low wisdom score.

No matter who you are, it's good to be smart.

Quote from: "jstorrie"No matter who you are, it's good to be smart.

Bah smrat peploe R stuipd
ishenko79: yeah, well, welcome to the [explicit deleted]ed up world of the now.

The way I figure it is, who are you trying to play? If you want to go for the struggling underdog who's too stupid to pick up izdari after three weeks of lessons then go for it. The opposite end of the spectrum can be fun.

Sometimes trying to get things to happen as the underdog has it's glory too. Of course, I generally enjoy trying to be super increadible at everything at once. How else will I kill Tek?
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

Simply put: there are no dump stats on Arm.
Amor Fati

Except endurance. There are no dump stats on Armageddon except endurance and maybe strength.

Quote from: "Beux"Whats a dump stat?  :oops:

The one that does not have any use.

Like charisma.

Quote from: "jstorrie"Except endurance. There are no dump stats on Armageddon except endurance and maybe strength.

Both have pretty much usage.  I think it is pretty obvious with strength.  And I think endurance is also useful.  Though I would put higher values on other stats, I still think endurance is useful enough.

Edited to remove some stuff, because I felt like it.
some of my posts are serious stuff

I love arms lack of numerous stats.

This makes it easy to feel like you have a general idea of what your body is like.

I remember this one mud I tried, left the moment I saw a stat for each of these

Agility
Dexterity
Nimbleness
Quickness
Speed

Heh, might be a bit of an exaggeration, but nevertheless was stupid as hell. All stats on arm are very important.
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

Charisma sometimes rules the house. Haven't you ever played Dungeons and Dragons 3.5?

Yeah, even though WotC is an evil empire, I do have to admit that they reduced the 'dump stat' syndrome in 3.0 and reduced it more with 3.5.  Still, non-bards, -paladins and -sorcerers still tend to use charisma as a dump stat.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Clerics get more turns from charisma, IIRC.

Charisma-focused characters rule the house. Fear running into my Paladin/Bard/Sublime Chord/Spellsword Snowflake Wardancer, you graceless newbs.

DIGRESSION

My favorite character in any game is the summoner.  I'm the guy who loads up on charisma, charm whatever, summon whatever, and stands back to let others do the dirty work for me.  Some games it works, sometimes I gimp myself... but all are enjoyable.  

Lord Templar Hard Nose thinks:
"Well, there's that or Sergeant Kitty..."

Quote from: "Zhaira"Clerics get more turns from charisma, IIRC.
And with more proficiency.  Forgot about this.  You're right.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

It is a dump stat unless you are a sorc or paladin, or bard.  Well, we kill bards in the first game hour, plus none of my players like to play sorcerers, so... that leaves only paladins.

Clerics need both wisdom and strength.  They are as much warrior as they are clerics if you ask me.  Extra turn is good for them, but I did not see any cleric spending all his turns in a given day anyway.  

Who needs charisma?

The most horrifying D&D character I ever designed was a level 25 Paladin with CHA as his highest attribute.  In one round, he did over 1400 damage to the goddess Shar and killed her.  The DM made me shred that character sheet and will probably never let me play a paladin again.  I agree with his decision.

Quote from: "Ghost"
Who needs charisma?

Divine Metamagic [Divine Feat]: Spend x turning attempts to add a metamagic feat to a divine spell, where x is the spell level adjustment of that feat. (Complete Divine)

Divine Might [Divine Feat]: Spend a turning attempt to gain your Charisma bonus to all melee attacks until the end of the round. (Complete Divine)

Snowflake Wardance [General Feat]: Add your Charisma modifier to attack rolls with one-handed slashing melee weapons. (Frostburn)

Oh my, 3.5 and the crazy feats.  I stopped running DnD games right after 3.5 came to the picture.  How can a warrior add his charisma to an attack roll realistically?  Unless it is a bluff move followed by an attack, but something like that already existed.  It was optional though.  Other than that, how come charisma plays a role in swinging a sword?

Now I am a Story Teller in World of Darkness though.  We have Presence, Manipulation and Composure for anyone!