Quintus

Started by Marauder Moe, September 04, 2006, 11:17:35 AM

Would people in Allanak (or Tuluk?) name their children Quintus, or would it be sacreligious or treasonous?

Discuss.

I don't see why there would be a problem with it unless theres some bit of history i'm missing. Frankly i've gone through a couple of characters where i almost used that name bacause of my favorite character in a book I've read before
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
     -Douglas Adams

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
     -Douglas Adams

Quintus Tektarrantolnes.
eel the wetness of her tongue that slides across my skin
the viruses crawl over me and feel for some way in

acid bath

That might be like naming a kid Osama in the US.  Tuluk would see it as a problem for those obvious reasons I expect and Allanak might because it might suggest that you were somehow on par with the highlord.

I dunno, I dont think it would be very prevalent.  Remember, some view these sorcerous badboys as supreme beings of a sort.

Would you name your child 'God' or 'Buddha' or 'Zeus'?  Some might, but its fairly rare...after a few diaper changes and midnight feedings the names would more likely change to 'Spawn' 'Satan' or 'Hellraiser'. :)

Some people are named Jesus.

(Quintus Tektolnes was the current Tektolnes's father.  His son killed him and took over Allanak a long long time ago.)

I don't think we can make real world references to this in regard to our religions because we have freedom of religion.  Where as the highlords are more or less worshiped with an iron fist and bad mouthing them in a city, or in any way smearing them or crediting the other one is grounds for being killed.  I'd say it is a much bigger deal.

Quintus Tektolnes

Would you name your kid Tektolnes?  No.

I sure as hell wouldn't name him someone the current Scorcerer King murdered that doesn't seem like you'd be setting up a good history to base your kid on.

Quintus who?  Oh, you mean Quintus Stoneaxe, the guy who lives two tenements down from me!  Yeah, he's cool.

(In other words, I don't think anyone would name their children that.)
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

I did not meet anyone with name God, Allah or Yehova. Similarly, I doubt anybody would give that name to their child in Zalanthas.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. -MT

Would you, in the late 1940's, anywhere in the world, have named your kid Adolf?  What if you were in Germany?
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: "spawnloser"Would you, in the late 1940's, anywhere in the world, have named your kid Adolf?  What if you were in Germany?

Not in the late 40s, but if you were a nazi jew-hater in the early 40s, you better believe that Adolf was a viable option.
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you

I'm really not sure so many Allanaki commoners would know what the name Quintus refers to.  However, they might notice that people named Quintus tend to get poor treatment from the Templarate.

It's a somewhat complex name for a commoner to have, and sounds unusual all by itself.  So I think it would be an extremely uncommon name, but not impossible to have.
Any people that would know Quintus had any relation to the Highlord Tektolnes [just that someone named Quintus was acquainted with Tek, nevermind the murder], however, would probably be very sure to avoid that name or any name that sounds remotely similar.

Zalanthans aren't encouraged to imitate their Sorcerer-Kings.  Someone naming their child after a blue-robed templar might possibly flatter that templar, provided that the parents are of good standing and the child isn't a mutant.  Naming a child after a red-robe is starting to push it unless it's the very elite of Zalanthas - the Senior Nobility and the two dozen people at the very top of the Great Merchant Houses, and other templars.
You don't name your kid after a black-robe unless you're in Tuluk naming a halfbreed mutant and don't mind perishing in excruciating agony.
Quote from: Vesperas...You have to ask yourself... do you love your PC more than you love its contribution to the game?

Quote from: "bardbard#4"
Quote from: "spawnloser"Would you, in the late 1940's, anywhere in the world, have named your kid Adolf?  What if you were in Germany?

Not in the late 40s, but if you were a nazi jew-hater in the early 40s, you better believe that Adolf was a viable option.

Also, people to this day still use Adolf, Adolphus, etc. as the name has been around much longer than the one historical figure.  Perhaps Quintus was never a very uncommon name, maybe even the equivalent of Amos back in the old bastard's day.  Honestly, I'd probably leave this one up to the Staff to determine if the first name inspires fear and the common person has the historical knowledge of who killed who in the line of Tektolnes.

Lord Templar Hard Nose says, in tatlum:
"Murder?  No, no... it was a necessary step in establishing the Empire of Allanak."