Started by daedroug, August 28, 2006, 07:09:34 PM

Auto log out for Link Dead characters?

Yes
20 (57.1%)
No
15 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Voting closed: August 28, 2006, 07:09:34 PM

Is it possible to put in some new code that makes it so that after a certain amount of time of being link dead the game will automaticly log them out where they are (kind of like how you can log out anywhere when the staff is closing donw the mud)

Now i do realize there are ways this could be abused but i would think it would deffinatly help out some of the players out there with unreliable connections. I know that one time i sweated out having to go several days with a character standing out in the wilds because the interenet was down due to having not payed the bill on time.

I could see some cases where a player might want to abuse it and lag-out if they were being persued by some one or somthing, but an half-hour to an hour time before logging it out would give plenty of time for any pursuant to catch up, not to mention any other dangerous things lurking about to find them.
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
     -Douglas Adams

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
     -Douglas Adams

Yes, I really like this idea. I don't getting forced into linkdeath then worrying about my character for hours and hours. This would be great.

While I am not pityless, there is no way for me to distinguish between someone who has a shoddy network connection and someone who simply doesn't want to be bothered to find a quitsafe to preserve their character.

There are many places in the world that are simply not safe to let down your guard, and the quit code was designed to represent this.  Circumventing this code by allowing an automatic purging would be similar to granting the freedom to quit anywhere in the world.
nless explicitly stated, the opinions of this poster do not necessarily represent all staff.

Halaster the Shroud of Death sings, in unnaturally gutteral sirihish:
    "S
     T
     F
     U"

Quote from: "Djarjak"While I am not pityless, there is no way for me to distinguish between someone who has a shoddy network connection and someone who simply doesn't want to be bothered to find a quitsafe to preserve their character.

There are many places in the world that are simply not safe to let down your guard, and the quit code was designed to represent this.  Circumventing this code by allowing an automatic purging would be similar to granting the freedom to quit anywhere in the world.

Yeh but with an hour time delay...they'd still be running the risk of leaving their character out in the wilds, unprotected and unwatched. I personally would not want to do that, I'd much rather find a quit room. However there have been times when I've lost connection for long periods of time, and have really wished that my character wouldn't be left standing there for the next two days.

I'd like to see this for LD characters in quit rooms... but otherwise, no.  Definite no.

Quote from: "Marauder Moe"I'd like to see this for LD characters in quit rooms... but otherwise, no.  Definite no.

You know it's just because you love preying on linkdead newbs and eating them for breakfast.

hehe read it wrong, I am partially in favor of this, I just worry about ppl risking that "drop link in the desert with my leet ninja assassin of max skillz."  And people have to consider if it is twinkish to attack you, because yes if you were beating me I would ride off and peg you with arrows. This may cause situations like this and ppl will just accept killing LD ppl, then people losing link because the power went out for a moment or the windows crashes again, or their wireless router loses packets like a punk will be getting taken advantage off. Not to mention is I walk in and start roleplaying with you and you suddenly vanish. Maybe I planned to raid you and I am a sorc so your not getting away...

That's just Devil's Advocate, I like the concept.
ishenko79: yeah, well, welcome to the [explicit deleted]ed up world of the now.

I'd say yes, after an hour of inactivity for both link dead and idle characters.  Because sometimes the MUD doesn't detect the broken link.  It would also keep people from sitting around idle just to run up their character hours played.   :P   It would also be helpful for those times when people forget that they've got the mud running in another window, or who fall asleep at the keyboard.  Not that I've ever done anything like that.   :oops:   Or newbies who don't know how to quit properly or just don't bother and are left standing in a tavern for days and days.
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

I'd like to see LD characters disappear after a number of hours, maybe 5 or 6, or even 12, because it begins to bother me when the same LD PC is standing in a tavern for like 4 RL days. And it happens quite frequently.

Maybe this shouldn't be in the wilderness, a stray LD character isn't bothering anyone if he's standing out in the scrublands or something, and it would avoid most kinds of abuse that way as well. I just want to see it in cities.
b]YB <3[/b]

Others being annoyed isn't a reason, I don't think, to log LD's.  All the other reasons should apply equally to wilderness LD's and tavern-sitting LD's.

Still, I'm of the opinion (even having lost a character recently to LD craptasticness) that there should be no auto-log for LD's.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I'd say yes, after a 60 minute delay. That gives time for anything IC to resolve itself, afterwhich the person is just a sitting duck and should be logged out.
Amor Fati

Quote from: "Hymwen"... it would avoid most kinds of abuse that way as well ...
I have to question how you people define abuse.  When I think through the scenerios, there are two or three scenerios:

(a.) person loses link in the wilderness.  What's the problem?  He's dangerously idle for 1-2hrs and turns into a ranger.  That's that bad?  

(b.) canonical city idler goes to Limbo then is logged.  

Think outside the box briefly; if the abuse is the "where," I'm sure the PC can be set to relog where new characters show up [I'm thinking city-only personally; I don't really see a problem with (a.) wilderness autolog].

Anyway, thumbs up on the idea.
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

Just thought of this, what if I am supposed to way something important to you, but your LD, and I say I told you this mega important thing and you never get it. What do we do then?

I never quite understood the rangers ability for logging out in the wilderness, I mean, I -get- it, but it's so OOC really, what does it represent, the ranger letting down their guard, setting up camp? Cause really, anyone can do that. Your character is supposed to carry on virtually without you anyway, so from the perspective of the game logged out or not logged out...your still there. So yeh. Log them out.

I mean, people who have legitimate reasons for being LD probably don't want the added icing of their char being dead when they get back on top of any other computer/connection problems they might be having.

I saw one guy...blatantly LD, 2 rooms away from the city gate, and perfectly fine - not tired, not injured. He wasn't trying to avoid any horrible fate...he just hadn't made it quite far enough to be safe when his connection gave up - or whatever. And I just thought, "Poor sod, I'm not gonna kill you but someone probably will."

I'd like to see this implemented. Though I'd also like to see all characters able to quit in the wilderness, so what can I say. I'm very into the idea of being able to quit a game when RL things call you away.

I thought this was going to be a suggestion for automatically logging what happens with your character when you're link dead.  My current PC was in an intense fight once... the opponent was in poor condition and the fight was ongoing.  I lost link and came back a minute later, to find the opponent dead.  I would love to have seen what happened in that moment while I was reconnecting... how he died, who landed the killing blow, etc.
"Never do today what you can put off till tomorrow."

-Aaron Burr

Quote from: "Hymwen"I'd like to see LD characters disappear after a number of hours, maybe 5 or 6, or even 12, because it begins to bother me when the same LD PC is standing in a tavern for like 4 RL days. And it happens quite frequently.

Maybe this shouldn't be in the wilderness, a stray LD character isn't bothering anyone if he's standing out in the scrublands or something, and it would avoid most kinds of abuse that way as well. I just want to see it in cities.

A good point made here, while I am not a fan of the concept used outside cities
(I did vote yes though, as I have faith we can think of a fair way to
make it work)  I would love to not have to sit there and see the same guy for
three days and wonder each time is he still LD or did he finally log back in
and is sitting there.

No offense to those who are annoyed by LD charcters but the point of this wouldn't be to get rid of those annoying LD characters it's so that if your internet connection all of a sudden punks out for one reason or another then you only have to sweat out a couple of hours while your trying to fix it before you can just calm down and say to yourself:
     "Alright if he didn't die from those first coupld of hours then he aughta be fine, maybe i should just go to sleep and try to figure out what happened to my internet in the morning."

I'm sure that everyone has had this problem before and maybe even lost a character to it for some, whether it be that you forgot to pay the bill or your kid brother accidently tripped over the ethernet cord and rip it in half. Even if this had to be 3-4 hours before it logged you out i would say put it in because if i'm going to have to sweat a few days out while an ignorant internet company tries to figure out why my connection isn't working i'm not gonna want my character to be sitting out in the wilderness waiting to be twink killed by archery fire or what not. Frankly i think this would save alot more characters from ligitamate problems then it would have people unplugging there internet cord just so they don't have to walk into town. and as i said before who would do this out in the wilderness anyways? i know i wouldn't want to not be able to watch my character to make sure he's ok just so i can get out where i am instead of in town. (this deffinatly shouldn't happen for idle characters because then it would be Way too easy to abuse by just sitting there and waiting till it logs out, making sure that nothing bad happens in the mean time.)
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
     -Douglas Adams

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
     -Douglas Adams