Your most dissatisfying deaths

Started by Tired and a little sad, August 25, 2006, 11:43:46 PM

Quote from: "Kronibas"dying to a keg full of cleaning solution.

back then, the infamous kegs didn't have the sdesc "is here giving
off noxious fumes"

and they were filled with a brown liquid, looking pretty close to ale.

Ditto. Had a beast of a warrior - survived tumor rats, sewer horrors, sandstorms, dehydration, falling off cliffs, and raiders. All to die by vomiting up the contents of her stomach for an agonizing 10 minutes. Classic.

I've had a two that were sickening. And not because they died.

Both made me loose long lived chars. Both involved patheticly rp'd vibrancy.

I've lost chars I loved way more, but with players who put in a wicked ending. The loss of the char wasn't bad at all then, it was actually freaking amazing and fun and why I play still.

The only times I've been really dissapointed were times trusting people with power. Some Staff and Players of defiler might who have all the power in the world seem to find that emoting out fun scenes is less important then typing kill, bash, kick, spell of doom as fast as you can.

Of course there's always the argument that the player might have rp'd the crap out of everything, things, hemotes etc. But at the end of the day, the fun for me is in bringing other chars into the world and story through emotes and tells, more then just winning.
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

Perfect plot, lively magicker who pulses with life with every detail.... accidental 'east' :)
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

lost a 35+day warrior a very frustrating way.
goes like this:

dummdidumm *hunting around*
> a small bag is here on the ground

get bag, s, w, n, n, n, n, n

then a small voice in my head told me: hey, that might have been some
silly idea, what if...

a cityguard of doom clobbers you on your head, doing frightening damage.

...yeah, spice.

I've had terrible deaths:

Kissed by Halaster
Paddled by Vanth
Booted in the head by Ashyom
Slain with immortal slayer numerous times
"It doesn't matter what country someone's from, or what they look like, or the color of their skin. It doesn't matter what they smell like, or that they spell words slightly differently, some would say more correctly." - Jemaine Clement. FOTC.

Quote from: "Adhira"I've had terrible deaths:

Kissed by Halaster
Paddled by Vanth
Booted in the head by Ashyom
Slain with immortal slayer numerous times

I am offering you my soul, just one of you kill one of my chars with an immortal power of doom.

pretty please?
some of my posts are serious stuff

Five day ranger, would have been the most powerful I had ever had, loaded with sid, all set for a leisurely life of wilderness living when I walked him into Allanak with a single grain of spice tucked in his cloak.

Alright, here is my worst experience with a very unsatisfying death:

My character was captured as a slave and made to suffer a few things but she managed to get through it. I actually Rped being the slave and doing what she was supposed to be doing and such and I grew to like the role. At one point I was trying to stay busy and not do anything to suicide her when I decided to take her out and do some foraging (since she was a ranger I thought it would help sooth her soul to be doing something like that). So she comes back into the city but before I get through the gate, these two magickers are there telling me not to go anywhere. Suddenly out of nowhere this Templar shows up and grabs me. He threatens to kill me for being treasonous. Confused there was nothing I could say but I wasn't. She was just foraging and actually showed him her sack. He seemed intent on killing her for whatever reason he thought she was being treasonous and eventually locked her in a jail cell where his psycho side-kick tried to murder her (and was successful).

All the time I am thinking.....Now why is she being killed again? There was a huge list of things that could have been done to her like maim her, pull her tongue out, hobble her etc. When it comes right down to it she wasn't running away from being a slave and those players denied her having to face the "consequences" of her actions even if she wasn't doing what those character thought she was doing (killing someone is actually not really facing consequences in a way because you are ending the RP and having someone make a new character). I have thought since then why do I play this game? I keep coming back but I often remember that incident and truly loose my will to play so I try my best to ignore what happened. It clearly has tainted my enthusiam for the game.

I guess it makes me think life in Arm is a little too cheap. Not that I am trying to take the harsh nature of the game away, just that I think when you kill someone you really are taking away incredible Rping opportunities. Since then I had a character that was part of the militia and read the documentation on what you do with run-away slaves and other crimes and know that those characters were actually doing something against what the rules say (not that the "good guys" cant be the bad guys). The documentation talks about not making things too crazy as punishments because that will discourage Rping and such. I only wish more people in power read the documentation and give players the chance to RP something out other than the girgling of blood leaving their throats.

I wholeheartedly agree that people are way to quick to pull out the death sentence to solve problems. It's way more fun and interesting to be creative about it. Begging fruitlessly for your life, OOCly knowing that there is absolutely no chance in hell of survival can only be interesting so many times.
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

Killing someone is definitely making them face the consequences. It's the ultimate version of making you face consequences. You have to judge things from your perspective "If I do this, I could lose my PC", and more importantly, from your CHARACTER'S perspective of "If I do this, I could lose my life!" That's one of the core principles of a permadeath system... you have to risk paying the ultimate price for your actions.

That said, I'm not saying that we should kill everyone every time they screw up. It's hard to say, but in your case death may have been too harsh. (Though leaving the gates without permission isn't always wise for clanned people.) Anyway, sometimes death has to be an option.

My lamest death was being held up by a raider who ordered my pc to hand over his pack and cloak or die. My pc did as was ordered and then the raider attacked and killed my pc anyway. I had just hit the 5 hour mark with the pc and had the concept stashed away for months waiting for me to play it. My pc was still mostly in newbie clothes and had no coin left since I had tossed it away after getting mildly equipped.

I have no way of knowing for certain but that death always nagged at me and left me feeling that the pc was only chosen as a target because of its newbish look. Also, it made me feel that it was only killed because they thought that I was holding out on the rest of my starting coin.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

I had a PC who was to be the most uber. S/he was a great concept and I was in love with what could have been. I had cool people I was associated with and in my attempt to get some sort of coin, I was said to look 'similar' to someone who these other folks were looking for. So, on we go to the arena to satisfy these people.. and though my pc was denying up and down that s/he was in no way, shape or form who they were looking for. The fight begins... whomever I was made to fight against didn't know that there was actually an 'emote' function I think.. and I was really disappointed as I tried to make it a good enough scene for the audience without the help of the other person, but whatever. I was killed and was quite bummed that this wholly capable group of people COULD have enslaved my pc, but instead.. gave me this disatisfying moment of agony. Thanks!

(I sound bitter, but I'm not anymore, I realize it's not always gonna be fun and happy, soooo yay for permadeath, still the most fun and 1337 thing EVAR!)
You do know that MUDsex is not a coded skill, right? -Nidhogg

I don't want to think about my lamest PC death, I'm mostly over it.

My second and longest lived PC, an assassin with all stats ranging from very good to exceptional, was hired to work as a hunter for a clan. Despite my utter cluelessness about hunting, getting lost several times and running from a pack of gortoks that tracked her across 30+ rooms, my PC managed to never die in an only semi-lame way (to NPCs).

One merry day, my PC remembered that her superior had told her to practice climbing, and showed her a spot to do it. She took the climbing gloves he had given her and figured why not. For some odd reason she decided to take a kank for the short distance, and promptly managed to get her kank stuck in a shallow pit with no exit other than climbing. So far, so annoying. (Attention: newbie mistake 1!)

She decided to climb anyway and explain her superiors how she lost the kank later. In my newbishness I of course failed to pay attention to stamina, and finally ended up in that shallow pit, all by myself, with next to no endurance. Just resting didn't help, so my PC figured well, there's no one nearby and I doubt anyone will look down here, let's sleep for a bit. (Newbie mistake 2!)

Woke up with an elf dagger between her ribs, which did nearly no damage. Then lo and behold, I somehow managed to forget to DRAW WEAPONS during a fight that lasted maybe 2 minutes... because the elf was so utterly newbish, and my PC ALMOST defeated her with bare fists.  :lol:  (Beware the leetness of uber newbie mistake 3 in a mere 5 minutes!)

City guards were only a climb check away.

The majority of my PCs had really lame newbie and adrenaline induced deaths.  :roll:

A death that could have been good if the people involved had longer attention spans, a few more smarts, and could roleplay for shit.  So sad.  Tear!
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

My lamest death has been repeated with a few of my PCs. Basically, I've got my ranger character out in the wilderness. I get smacked down by an animal, but I use my badass Ranger-ninjitsu to escape. I run only a few rooms before I run out of stamina. I think "Dang, well, I'll guess I'll have to rest then continue on. I should be okay, though, so long as I'm on top of it."
It is at this incredibly vulnerable moment that, inevitably, the police will call, or my dog will need to go out, or my sister will be leaving for the airport and I need to make a tearful goodbye, or my mom will decide that she needs to show me pictures from her last vacation RIGHT NOW. Something will drag me away from the computer, but I'll think, "Well, my character needs to rest, and it will take some time for the baddie to track me down, and so long as I handle the RL stuff quickly enough..."
Anyway, yeah. I think you can fill in the rest for yourself.
Thank God I'm moving out next week.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
QuoteYou find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
QuoteA staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

My lamest death went something like this:

"I've had it with these mutha fecking snakes in this mutha- *hurk*"

No seriously....that is actually pretty close to what happened. :(

Made a rinth assassin. Got completely awesome stats (eg exc vg a-avg). Go and buy some stuff, things I knew from experience would not attract attention from 'rinth NPCs, mainly cheap leather armor and two plain daggers. Spend a few days playing a couple of hours each day and just getting into the character without doing anything much, when some day I meet a PC in the alleys. Said PC looks at me, says they want one of the items I had, and before I had typed out my response they attack me. The player was lucky or vastly superior and gets two very-hards to my head right away, with maces, knocking me unconcious in an instant. Now instead of robbing me and leaving me there, the player spends the next 30 seconds doing "kill man, kill man, kill man, kill man", I could see my hp going down by 15-20 or so at intervals equivalent to the kill delay, until finally delivering a mantis head.

(All in the space of one day)

Poking my head out of Storm - one room  - with my weak-ass tailor (having absolutely NOTHING on me - no 'sid, kank, water etc - was just checking the weather, however I didn't know about the 'weather n' etc) getting lost in a storm for days, getting stuck right down by the silt sea (not really knowing my way around due to newbness). Then managing to a way a friend, who turned up 2 IG days later (yes, surviving two IG days stuck in the desert with no food/water/weapon).

Was night time, and I had to quit out for a bit, so friend left my char in a cave. Came back, found I was sharing the cave with a scary toothy looking guy...and thought - "Oh, this is it now..." - pretty much thought he'd kill my char. Turned out to be a really friendly guy who took me back to 'Nak.

Thought all was well and good, I was feeling lucky to be a live, till I realised I had no 'sid, no money etc. So I go out looking for bimbal, get lost in another storm, manage to find my way back to 'Nak. Ran out Stamina ONE room away from the gate.

Some guy came and subdued me, dragged me off to the Shield wall. Attacked, I fled, fell off the shield wall, lived! And then he found me. :(

I was seriously disappointed, after all that surviving, to lose it - one room away from the gates after going out for bimbal.

And the actual death itself, was totally devoid of any interesting RP.

Quote from: "Dead Kank"

And the actual death itself, was totally devoid of any interesting RP.

My sincerest condolences, but that's funny.  :lol:  :?

Quote from: "Good Gortok"(Explains how he died...)

Sounds like that is an NPC.  Some NPCs are coded that way.  They look at you and say what they want and try to kill you.
some of my posts are serious stuff

Quote from: "Ghost"
Sounds like that is an NPC.  Some NPCs are coded that way.  They look at you and say what they want and try to kill you.
While I would love to believe that it was an NPC, I doubt it.  NPC's don't repeatedly hit you while unconscious.  They say what they want, beat you unconscious and take it.  Sometimes the NPC kills you, just due to how much damage is dealt out in a particular amount of time...but they don't continue to beat on you when you are KO'd.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: "Ghost"

It wasn't an NPC. First of all the guy looked at me, which NPCs never do, and then what he said wasn't the standard line that muggers give you. I've had a handful of 'rinther PCs.

'kay here we go.

A while back, a played was putting together an elvan tribe in the labyrinth. (I think it was 5disgruntled). We set up my char (who had no fighting skills), and then I'm part of this awesome tribe with a rich culture, history etc.

My second time playing, there happened to be a few bodies on the floor after I logged in. Then some newbie walks in and ask if I have anything to do with them. I give him a standard 'rinthi reply 'no business of yours, roundear'. He then closes the door and attacks my character. He may have thought that would have kept me there but I managed to flee without any damage.

I make my way to a nearby rinthi tavern, thinking it's safe. I then try talk to one of my tribemates over the way when the newbie comes in. He fails sneak and backstab coming in at me, but manages to knock my character out because I was low on stun because of my telepathy.

I wait about ten minutes, while he presumably dragged me somewhere. Then he emotes sticking his dagger in the center of my face before killing me. Yeah, thanks for the rp. Asshole.

I have never had a satisfying death, but I have had a few fitting ones.

The rest.. well, chalk it up to Armageddon being a brutal game and app a new character eventually.