Im getting away! Oof!

Started by Omen, August 24, 2006, 12:15:53 PM

I was just wondering if there was a code implemented having to deal with the whole running/tripping factor in real life. Everyone knows realistically that you start running too fast, lose you balance and will fall. But I havent seen this implemented in game, I figure it could be intergrated as if trying to flee you fall or something. I just thought it would be a realistic idea.

Omen
ourage is being scared to death - and saddling up anyway.
-John Wayne
"Dont worry, he wont bother us...."
Your vision goes black

Maybe if it only occured once every like 5000 moves? I know I don't trip very often when I run, and I doubt a Zalanthan would either.

I don't really want to see this in game.

Edit: Uh, in case my post came off the wrong way, no offense meant or anything, I just think it would be annoying more than anything else, and I think it would be -extremely- rare that someone just tripped over their feet and fell.
History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
-Winston Churchill

If this was to be implemented, I think that it should only be in rooms with tough terrain, like the tablelands, wastes, or dunes.  Any city-based races would likely trip if they ran in these areas, but wouldn't if they walked.  Another reason why mounts are used so extensively.
*blank* hmms to himself, carefully peeing across the ground.

Quote from: RaesanosI want to kill everyone.

Plus only if you have reaaaally low agility. I think this would be annoying to say the least. Maybe if, like said, it happened once in a blue moon it would be bareable. However, it's already easy enough to die, and to have my one shot at flee'ing a life threatening situation, and surviving, to be foiled, by my super agile elf tripping over on polished marble, would really annoy me.

Quote from: "Hexxaex"If this was to be implemented, I think that it should only be in rooms with tough terrain, like the tablelands, wastes, or dunes.

I think that difficulty moving about in this kind of terrain is pretty adequately simulated by the utterly massive stamina loss, especially if you're silly enough to try running in the wilds as a non-delf.
Brevity is the soul of wit." -Shakespeare

"Omit needless words." -Strunk and White.

"Simplify, simplify." Thoreau

I think if you find it appropriate for your character you do this:

run
w
em trips over an invisible imaginary turtle.
rest
change ldesc lies here, splayed out on the ground.

:-D
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

Personally, I'm glad there's nothing like this hardcoded. In agreement with the above poster, you can always do it yourself! Emoting mistakes that aren't coded failures is fun, and you often surprise the people around you.
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

I don't think it would necessarily be a bad thing, as long as it was rare.  Sometimes rare unexpected effects can add to a feeling realism.

You can already stumble around if you're too drunk.  I could imagine it happening, in rare occasions, in rough terrain depending on factors like agility, drunkeness, darkness, encumbrance, etc.

If a dwarf is running through rocky terrain in clogs at night, I want to see that dwarf fall down.  (Because that happens so often... :wink: )
So if you're tired of the same old story
Oh, turn some pages. - "Roll with the Changes," REO Speedwagon

Flee sometimes fails, it doesn't knock you to the ground but not getting away from that nasty thing can be bad enough.
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"