Im sad

Started by Sad Kank, August 20, 2006, 04:58:50 PM

Okay, ive been playing for about half a year, and ive gone through 12 characters. I asked a helper about it, and he told me he went through 7 in his entire 3 years playing armageddon. Do I suck? Honestly.

Waiting for approval on char #93 at the moment. I played about six months before my GDB creation date.

You're doing fine.

-WP
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Not at all. I'm on fairly similar numbers, and I'm the best person in the world.
b]YB <3[/b]

No - some people tend to have long-lived characters, others tend to risk more and die a bit quicker. Some people play more and die more, others play less and die less.

I'm prone to long-lived characters and I don't like it that much - it keeps me from pursuing all the nice character concepts I got.
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

It's all about how you like to play. Some live hard and fast and die the same way. Others like to be more methodical and slow paced and live longer.

Nothing wrong with either way, as long as you're having fun.
eeling YB, you think:
    "I can't believe I just said that."

It's not just you.  We all suck.   :D
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Nothing wrong with having lots of characters.  I sometimes I think I suck for having had my first non-human, non-Allanaki character (my 5th character) after about four years of playing.

I'm on #39 and I've been playing just over a year.
esperas: I wouldn't have gotten over the most-Arm-players-are-assholes viewpoint if I didn't get the chance to meet any.

Cegar:   most Arm players are assholes.
   Ethean:   Most arm players are assholes.
     [edited]:   most arm players are assholes

There's no prize for longest lived pcs. Promise.

Well, maybe their is, in that you can be a living bit of history. But there are trade off's for that too.

I remember some long lived pcs who seemed to just be going through the motions, maybe logging in each day hoping that today would be the day they'd finally be murdered so they could go do something else already, sheesh.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

I'm on character #25 since January of 2003...so 3.5 years.  I know of people with both fewer and more characters for the time they've been here than me.  Hell, I know someone on character #5 for 3 years of playing.  Someone else was on character #1 after about the same amount of time before that character died.  I also know fantastic roleplayers that want to roleplay a certain type of role...and that certain type of role comes with more dangers, and shorter average lifespan.  No biggie.  Try again.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

The success of a pc is not measured in how long you play them, but how well.

One of my favorite pc's died a rl week (no idea how many hours, I think over a day) after I started them. Just as they were getting really interesting. I miss her. Can I get pity rezz?
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: "Barzalene"The success of a pc is not measured in how long you play them, but how many pcs you kill.

I corrected it for you, dear.

jk
b]YB <3[/b]

Life of chars is really just plain not the point of this game.  It doesn't even factor into the point.  The point is that you have fun.

If you can say you've played this game for half a year and havn't had any fun yet, okay then you might suck.

Hell, I don't even bother to look at the list of dead pcs that I'm responsible for.  

Number of characters played: it scrolls
quote="Hymwen"]A pair of free chalton leather boots is here, carrying the newbie.[/quote]

Over 150 here.

I have literally played roles with the purpose of nothing more then a short (i.e. one week)
lived but entertaining concept. Sometimes they pan out and sometimes they die and I roll
out one of many more bouncing around. It is really down to the type of player you are
and as long as your enjoying it, all is the gravy baby!
quote="Tisiphone"]Just don't expect him to NOT be upset with you for trying to steal his kidney with a sharp, pointy stick.[/quote]
The weak may inherit the earth, but they won't last two hours on Zalanathas

I've lost plenty of characters to their own ignorance, playing them into doing things I know might well be stupid or unnecessary risks because, well, in the heat of the moment I think they'd do them. I've looked back and regretted it some of the time, knowing I could have had those same characters live longer, if much less uneventful lives if I simply let them be more level-headed and, well, "normal". But I don't think I would have had this much fun playing if I did it that way.

Just play your character. But it's probably worth noting that, in general, you'll probably get less notice for playing that character well and dying in a week, or even a month or few, than for playing them for three years straight.

You don't suck, prostitutes do. And tuluki nobles.  And..... templars.  they suck it hard and long. The rest of us... we don't suck.... We're victems.
IMMSAESL (Sorry I Made My Sig An Entire Sentence Long)

That helper should have made it a bit more clear, as the rest of the population has, that numbers really don't matter.

I, a helper, am on like... 50?
your mother is an elf.

I've had like 4 characters during the last 3 years, 2 of them were retired.  Prior to that I had like 50.

I broke fifty at about 5 years in... and I still have trouble with concepts/survival outside of city life.  I've never branched a combat-related skill and am still quite proud of my play and time on ArmageddonMUD.  Different people find different enjoyment here and that's one reason for the appeal of our game.  Besides, it's not the length of time that determines a character's value, it's what you do with it.

Lord Templar Hard Nose says, in English:
"It's not the size of the log (file), it's what you've done with it."

Quote from: "Eternal"I've never branched a combat-related skill and am still quite proud of my play and time on ArmageddonMUD.

The best assasin I ever knew was a merchant... it hurts that his deathcount was at least twice as big as my 40day assasin who was just a contract killer.

I tend to go through a series of characters that last 10-15 days, then one character will just turn out great and last 20-30. I tend to be proud of myself after hitting the 20day mark, that's the goal I try and set.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."